Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 C50T. I have installed many electrical accessories... fork lights, a radio, LED lights, horn, second set of rear lights, turn/brake/running light module, and the last was driving lights. All of the accessories have their own relay installed into the circuit. My problem is, the bike does not hold a charge. I purchased a new battery, and the same thing. I leave the bike on a tender when not riding it. My bike only seems to be putting out 12.3 volts now when running, even at high idle. This problem did not appear until I added the driving lights and relay. :evil:Is this a voltage regulator problem? I am not that familiar with the charging system on a bike. Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Sounds like yah got a good amount of stuff on the bike. I think there was mention here of a regulator issue and service bulletin on here keep lookin around i think someone will either chime in here or will show ya where the thread is. But yes, its most likely an issue with yer charging system.

·
Administrator
5,987 Posts
Could be that you have so much electric draw that the charging system cannot run it and charge the battery at the same time. Add up your draw in amps and wait for someone smarter than me to tell you what the available charging/running amps are for your ride.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Could also try a process of elimination. Disconnect the driving lights circuit, start the bike and check the charge rate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could also try a process of elimination. Disconnect the driving lights circuit, start the bike and check the charge rate.
I did that. Just unplugged the lights and the meter is reading 13.4 volts and >14 volts at fast idle. I can't believe the bike can't handle two sets of driving lights.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Tis the nature of da beast :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yeah, bikes are kinda weak in the electrical area if yah ask me. But at least it wasnt the regulator and all which is good. I forgot the old addage of Keep It Simple Stupid, when looking for the process of elimination and all. Jumped straight to it. Shame on me. Just get LED driving lights :)

·
Registered
19,620 Posts
I did that. Just unplugged the lights and the meter is reading 13.4 volts and >14 volts at fast idle. I can't believe the bike can't handle two sets of driving lights.
No, it is quite normal..... People think that they can add any ol' electrical accessory to the bike. But they never check to see what the charging system produces or what the bike can handle before hand. They usually learn the hard way, as you did. The C50 is a great bike, but there's a reason it doesn't come from the factory with all those electrical farkles.....

So, you much choose. But choose wisely! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
347 Posts
No, it is quite normal..... People think that they can add any ol' electrical accessory to the bike. But they never check to see what the charging system produces or what the bike can handle before hand. They usually learn the hard way, as you did. The C50 is a great bike, but there's a reason it doesn't come from the factory with all those electrical farkles.....

So, you much choose. But choose wisely! :biglaugh:

Generator no-load performance:

"More than 70 V at 5000r/min (When engine is cold)", as per the Suzuki Factory Service Manual covering models years 2005-2011.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Has your bike received the new Regulator that Suzuki recalled a few years ago? The recall was due to a charging issue. I think there is some info on it somewhere here.
Dealer was replacing at no charge.

·
Registered
347 Posts
No worries :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know I saw it a while back but I'm sure someone knows the max output in Watts or amps. I was concerned about this too so I hooked up my voltmeter and ran it to make sure it wasn't over drawn. Even with high beam, passing lamps and brake on the bike idles at 13.1v but I have LED bulbs in all signals.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
198 Posts
To remind you that Motorcycle alternator only put out either 13 Amps or 24 amps depending on what your VL800's stator maximum output amperage. It exactly sound wussy but it's designed to operate at minimum.. Since that you have lot of accessories, It's not design to power microwave oven, TV, Toaster, ect unless you lusts for more then you'll have hack your bike into accepting 80 Amp alternator (smallest alternator from Ford Feista ect. It's palm sized alternator that I found at junk yard seriously!! ). Or you can have two 12vdc 700 CCA automotive batteries in each saddlebags (1400 cca total).

Basically, you might want to add Ammeter to monitor its amperage usage. If it use more than charging then you'll have to turn off your "appliance" on bike. If you wish to operate all accessories, you'll have to "trade amps for less amps" which means you'll have to L.E.D up your bike including headlight to allow more wiggling room for alternator to charge battery. Incandescent bulbs uses more amperage than L.E.Ds ..

Modifying bike with bigger alternator can hurt fuel economy.. Because Alternator under heavy load would be like an "electric brake" to the engine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts