Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help.. During warmup bike runs normal. After a few miles,when coming to a stop or even slowing down to idle speed,bike will cut out. Starts right away after cutout. Sometimes it will backfire when it cuts out.I have 23k kms on it.On the open highway or driving on city streets all is normal. The tach is reving about 1100rpm when I hear it miss and quit. T
I have checked for loose connections. Bike shop can't help till next Thursday
Thanks for any help.

·
Banned
12,353 Posts
have you heard the fan coming on?

any indication from the warning light as in overheating?

has it only been happening since your last fillup?

has maintenance been done? valve adjustments?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. the fan comes on.
No warning lights come on
Started happening just before I put it away last year.
Haven't had any maintenance done lately.

Hopefully the dealer will be able to figure it out whan he reads the fault codes

·
Registered
84 Posts
bike quits running

My 04 did this two times last summer. Both times it was hot outside and both times I was in traffic with the engine idling. I never could find out why but since I used a fuel additive I havent had any problems. Let me know if you find out what caused this because it is a bad feeling not knowing what the reason was and if it could happen again on a road trip. VolusiaThornton

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'd check to see if your idle screw or fast idle screw is back out from vibration. It's happened on other bikes i've had.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Do you feel a lot of heat rising from the engine when stopped?

I think a hot stall might be caused from an A\F lean condition.
By any chance have you adjusted the slack in the throttle cable?

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I took the post as this coming thursday the dealer could look at it.

mightydog said:
i think the dealer's had it since thursday. wonder how long it takes to read them codes.

·
Banned
12,353 Posts
C50T2006 said:
I took the post as this coming thursday the dealer could look at it.

mightydog said:
i think the dealer's had it since thursday. wonder how long it takes to read them codes.
ahhh, maybe so. i was thinking from that being posted wed, that thurs meant the next day.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry fellas, been offline for a bit. Dealer called yesterday. He says the OEM tach installed just before I put it away last year,is causing the problem. Something about Suzuki having 2 coils. He disconnected one side and all was well. Of course the tach read half the revs. I'll try a search here for similiar problems. Thanks for the suggestions.
PS If Sunday is tomorrow and I say next Sunday as opposed to this Sunday ,that means one week later.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
If you only mentioned you added a tach with no adapter. You need the resistor/diode adapter for it to read and run correctly on the C50.

Bman1 said:
Sorry fellas, been offline for a bit. Dealer called yesterday. He says the OEM tach installed just before I put it away last year,is causing the problem. Something about Suzuki having 2 coils. He disconnected one side and all was well. Of course the tach read half the revs. I'll try a search here for similiar problems. Thanks for the suggestions.
PS If Sunday is tomorrow and I say next Sunday as opposed to this Sunday ,that means one week later.

·
Banned
12,353 Posts
Bman1 said:
you're probably in the majority because i've had this problem my whole life. :? to me, that's taking the "sundayness" away from tomorrow. :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts