Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read numerous threads that Vol/Bols are set lean from the factory. I recently did some playing with stock mufflers (installed shorty glass packs into the empty muffler) and when taking them apart I noticed that there was an awful lot of black exhaust soot (not oil carbon-but gas carbon) in the mufflers. To me that says "rich" not "lean". My bike is stock (1300 miles) except for the mufflers. When changing from the stock mufflers to the glass packed ones I noticed a distinct puff (large one) of black smoke on start up and subsequent throttle increases. It went away after a minute or so (FI computer re-adjusted for the decreased back pressure?). I'm a fair mechanic (played with lots of carburetor vehicles) but I'm not to sure about FI (except for diesel engines). My question is; If it seems to run rich (black smoke) can I install a K&N air filter in the stock housing without having to re-map? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
My 02 Vol has to be on the lean side, as when it is cold, the only thing that keeps it running is a little more choke-which equals more fuel. My pipes are black and sooty inside as well, and I would suspect all are, as a by product of combustion. I get a black puff from time to time when accelerating, and I suspect it is more noticable since the debaffle simply because there is less restriction inside the muffler to trap the particulates.
I wouldn't install a less restrictive airbox or filter without changing the fuel mix.

·
Administrator
51,645 Posts
Generally speaking, (I'm not the General), it's best to do the mods such as pipes, K&N filter, and fuel processors at the same time, and have the mapping and dyno work done at that time too!

This way You will be sure of proper fuel mixture and good bike-a-bility (that's a synonym for drive-a-bility). And probably the max BHP too!........ZOOM,ZOOM,ZOOM! :wayhappy:

Geez............Sounds like political aspirations........don't it? :help:

·
Administrator
29,580 Posts
Ditto Psycomind. Don't fiddle with the stock pipes. If you've ever had the heat shields off the exhaust pipes aren't big enough to do anything good with. Plan your mods carefully and execute them in one fell swoop.

Re-map afterwards once and you'll see improved throttle response. Don't look for the bike to be too much faster but with that being said you will enjoy the scoot a lot more when you're making the most out of its motor.

Yes, the EPA now basically requires every motorcycle sold in the US to be a bit lean from the get go.

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
I'm thinking of going with a uni-filter (or pair of unifilters if I make an adapter) and keeping the OEM pipes (which I happen to like) on my 05 C50.

Do I need to remap in this case?

Power Commanders web site shows that they have found no difference in the mapping requirement between the OEM and the K&N filters (when either is used with Vance & Hines pipes). This leads me to believe remapping is not necessary if only the filter is modified.

Am I right ????

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From all I've read you can do pipes without re-map or K&N air filter without re-map but you cannot do both without a re-map. Someone will disagree with this though, but K&N says that using their air filter does not require any changes and Jardines says the same thing about their pipes. Try something and then "read the plugs" . You don't want to run too lean!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's my 2 bits about going with the K&N filter. I went with a K&N filter 4000 miles ago without rejetting and I hate it! I'm still running with the stock pipes. The bike has lost all it's power. I can't accelerate at all. I can't even go up a hill if my wife's riding with me. It just plain won't run in the cold at all. I haven't had the time or $$ to play with a rejet yet, so I just put a piece of tape over one of the holes on the filter to restrict the breathing and it's back to normal.

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
IMHO this is exactly why I'm planning on doing the whole thing all at once. Why don't you just put your old air filter back in until you can afford to do the whole thing right? It might save you some grief.

bocajrs said:
Here's my 2 bits about going with the K&N filter. I went with a K&N filter 4000 miles ago without rejetting and I hate it! I'm still running with the stock pipes. The bike has lost all it's power. I can't accelerate at all. I can't even go up a hill if my wife's riding with me. It just plain won't run in the cold at all. I haven't had the time or $$ to play with a rejet yet, so I just put a piece of tape over one of the holes on the filter to restrict the breathing and it's back to normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts