Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I donn't belive that there is enough clearence to go wider if you check it out the tire is real close to the swingarm.

·
Registered
20,365 Posts
There is only an OEM rear wheel for the VL800. There are no aftermarket options available. The width of the rear wheel is such that it will actually make the tire taller, rather than the desired wider profile. Because of the narrow width of the rim, the tire must be squeezed to fit, making the aspect ratio taller than it otherwise should be. Once it is on the bike, you gain a whole 3/4" in width over the stock tire.
There are no gains in performance, handling or aesthetics. It will however cause the sidewall to contact the fender bolts when you are heavily loaded and hit a bump. If your bike is lowered at all, it will also contact the fender liner as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is only an OEM rear wheel for the VL800. There are no aftermarket options available. The width of the rear wheel is such that it will actually make the tire taller, rather than the desired wider profile. Because of the narrow width of the rim, the tire must be squeezed to fit, making the aspect ratio taller than it otherwise should be. Once it is on the bike, you gain a whole 3/4" in width over the stock tire.
There are no gains in performance, handling or aesthetics. It will however cause the sidewall to contact the fender bolts when you are heavily loaded and hit a bump. If your bike is lowered at all, it will also contact the fender liner as well.
I was thinking of increasing the rear diameter from 15 to 16 with slight increase in width from 180 to a bit more.. But seems like 180 is fine..
Any opinion on Michelin commander 2 or GT.. Thinking of getting that..

·
Registered
20,365 Posts
Perhaps I was unclear in my earlier response. There IS no 16" wheel option for the C50/VL800. One does not exist.

You are stuck with the OEM wheel, which means you have the choice of 15" spoked or 15" cast. That's it.

As for the tire choice, I ran the Commander 2 on my C50, Vulcan 900 and my CTX. I liked it so much, I went with the Commander 3 when it came time to change the rear on my CTX again. Fantastic tire.

·
Super Moderator
23,202 Posts
Did you put that on the OEM Spokes?
be aware you are in a thread that was posted 14 years ago...skrap and Volusia may be the only ones still a part of this forum.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Good choice!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts