Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warranty expired on the bike today so no more service money for the dealers....

Changed engine oil, filter and final drive oil. Went for fully synthetic rather than the standard stuff. Checked everything else, which I do on a regular basis anyway, all good and dandy. At least now I know it's been done correctly with good quality oils etc...

Engine oil that came out was thick and filthy, pretty bad since it was only 5500 klms since the last service.

My only issue was the oil filter, in all my years of playing with bikes and cars I have never experienced an oil filter as tight as this one, my filter wrench had almost crushed it by the time I got it off.

Next one will be a K&N with the knob on the end.

·
Registered
138 Posts
OzriderC50T, I also changed the oil & filter on my newly purchased 2005 C50 for the first time yesterday at 3,000 US miles. Man...was it black & thick. (Next time I'll change it at 2,000 miles).

The oil filter was somewhat of a problem to get off as I had installed Cobra Hwy bars on it. Had to take the two bottom bolts out so I could swing the bars forward to get enough clearance to remove the old Fram Filter & install a new K&N 138 oil filter.

I had done a Valve Adjustment on it last month and the engine ran very smooth & quiet (for a C50.)

After dropping the old oil (the orignal owner said that he used Rotella T 15-40) & filling it with 3.6 qts (3400 ml) of Rotella T 15-40, I fired it up to check for leaks. The engine was "very" noisy compared to when the old oil was in it. I mean it was really noticeable. I let it warm up to operating temp and it was still a lot noisier than before.

Question.. Did you notice a major increase in engine noise after changing your oil?

·
Super Moderator
20,430 Posts
do yourself a major favor and just hand tighten the filter...screw all the bs about hand tighten and then using a filter wrench turn another guarter or half or whatever turn to make sure...just hand tighten. Change my oil every 2k...some will say thats too often but for the few minutes it takes and the cost to do it myself I feel its a no brainer to keep fresh oil in the engine...have logged over 130,000 miles between my 04 vol and 05 c90 and have never done anything other than hand tighten. Good luck with the ride. I also use the oem filters that I buy in bulk from oneida suzuki. May want to consider also picking up an oil filter adapter made specificaly for your size filter also available from oneida for under $10...good luck.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
With Cobra bars the filter comes up and out on the key side no need to remove bottom bolts.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Suzuki recommends changing the Filter every third oil change I don't know anyone who doesn't change the filter with each oil change. If using full synthetic it makes sense to change the oil filter twice as often as oil changes or as needed to keep the oil clean. How you use your bike effects oil cleanliness if you take a lot of short rides your oil will get dirtier faster so changing the oil filter more often will help to clean your oil.

With longer rides the oil gets a lot hotter and helps to keep the oil cleaner longer.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OzriderC50T, I also changed the oil & filter on my newly purchased 2005 C50 for the first time yesterday at 3,000 US miles. Man...was it black & thick. (Next time I'll change it at 2,000 miles).

The oil filter was somewhat of a problem to get off as I had installed Cobra Hwy bars on it. Had to take the two bottom bolts out so I could swing the bars forward to get enough clearance to remove the old Fram Filter & install a new K&N 138 oil filter.

I had done a Valve Adjustment on it last month and the engine ran very smooth & quiet (for a C50.)

After dropping the old oil (the orignal owner said that he used Rotella T 15-40) & filling it with 3.6 qts (3400 ml) of Rotella T 15-40, I fired it up to check for leaks. The engine was "very" noisy compared to when the old oil was in it. I mean it was really noticeable. I let it warm up to operating temp and it was still a lot noisier than before.

Question.. Did you notice a major increase in engine noise after changing your oil?
I actually found the opposite, the with the old oil the engine was always noisy on start up, the new oil is very quite, even before I added the last 2-300 ml to get the level correct.

Have you got enough in it?

Warm it up, turn it off and sit on the bike on flat ground, get a mirror on a stick or someone else to check the level.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do yourself a major favor and just hand tighten the filter...screw all the bs about hand tighten and then using a filter wrench turn another guarter or half or whatever turn to make sure...just hand tighten. Change my oil every 2k...some will say thats too often but for the few minutes it takes and the cost to do it myself I feel its a no brainer to keep fresh oil in the engine...have logged over 130,000 miles between my 04 vol and 05 c90 and have never done anything other than hand tighten. Good luck with the ride. I also use the oem filters that I buy in bulk from oneida suzuki. May want to consider also picking up an oil filter adapter made specificaly for your size filter also available from oneida for under $10...good luck.
The manual says make contact with the seal and then tighten 2 full turns.....seems excessive, have they had issues with leaks in the past?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I actually found the opposite, the with the old oil the engine was always noisy on start up, the new oil is very quite, even before I added the last 2-300 ml to get the level correct.

Have you got enough in it?

Warm it up, turn it off and sit on the bike on flat ground, get a mirror on a stick or someone else to check the level.
Thanks for the reply. Yes I put 3.4 qts in it. Came almost up to the top of the sight glass.
Today I put 6oz of Lucas oil stabilizer in it after warming it for about 10 min. It had quietened down considerably in the 10 min time frame but was still rattling a bit but after the Lucas treatment it really quietened down. Went for a 15 mile ride and when I got back it was as quiet as before the oil change.

·
Registered
138 Posts
With Cobra bars the filter comes up and out on the key side no need to remove bottom bolts.
Thanks Two Red Ryders...I did manage to get the old Fram filter out OK but the K&N 138 was giving me a bad time so I just moved the Cobra bar out of the way.
Will try your method next time.:wayhappy:

Thanks....

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply. Yes I put 3.4 qts in it. Came almost up to the top of the sight glass.
Today I put 6oz of Lucas oil stabilizer in it after warming it for about 10 min. It had quietened down considerably in the 10 min time frame but was still rattling a bit but after the Lucas treatment it really quietened down. Went for a 15 mile ride and when I got back it was as quiet as before the oil change.
Good to hear...

I just checked the manual again and it should be 3.6 US qts or 3.4 litres, confusing isn't it.

·
Super Moderator
20,430 Posts
The manual says make contact with the seal and then tighten 2 full turns.....seems excessive, have they had issues with leaks in the past?
don't know but i do know what a pain in the a** it is to try to get a filter off that been put on "too" tight... found that turning till snug is all you need...once you start riding it will become tighter...why... don't know but it will...and not really a whole lot tighter but just enough to justify hand tightening only...you are going to or should be starting it up and checking for leaks from the filter area once you have changed the oil anyway.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts

Next time you change FILTER, loosen the filter, now flip it so the engine side is facing front..it will fall thru the cobra bars like a dollar in a bar....if that doesn't do the trick (but it will)..you can slide the filter up and out alongside the exhausr pipe and the brake spring....
2cts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
don't know but i do know what a pain in the a** it is to try to get a filter off that been put on "too" tight... found that turning till snug is all you need...once you start riding it will become tighter...why... don't know but it will...and not really a whole lot tighter but just enough to justify hand tightening only...you are going to or should be starting it up and checking for leaks from the filter area once you have changed the oil anyway.
I've always done the same, nip it up and tighten by hand, never had an issue.

·
Registered
624 Posts
That's only for a OEM filter. It's got a really thick rubber gasket on it so it can take the 2 full turns.

Aftermarket filters use their requiremnts. I think K&N was 3/4 turn past making contact.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts