Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided to do my own oil change. (Have did it on all of my other bikes) I plan on not buying the filter from the Suzuki dealer because of the distant. Could some one please tell me what part # and brand on the filter you used? Sometimes I do not trust the store clerk. If you used a cap wrench, did it fit the old and new one?
Thanks, Old Geaser Gold Bar, WA

·
Administrator
52,304 Posts
dalan said:
Fram PH6018; special black box marked for motorcycles. Walmart has them. I use a jaw-style filter wrench.
Frams are OK, BUT, they use cardbord ends inside the filter media. There is an STP filter at AUTOZONE and it's a SMO-18 ($6.99) and it's one of the best built filters according to the independant testing sites. ALSO, You can get the correct CAP WRENCH from ADVANCE AUTO and it's $7.99. This wrench allows non-destructive removal and proper tightening also without damage! It also fits the factory filter too.............I hope that this helps! :wink:

·
Premium Member
14,413 Posts
I use STP SMO-18 about $5 at AutoZone

Here is some others...
SUZUKI OEM 16510-06B01
NAPA Gold, Oil Filter, #1359.
STP SMO-18
Bike Master 314-0025
Cycle Power 314-1919
FRAM 314-6018 (PH6018)
Purolator ML6818
NAOA Gold 1359
ProPart 01-0029
Emgo 10-55660 or 10-55670
VESRAH Sf-3007
JC Whitney BLACK-06AD3165B CHROME-06AD3166P
WIX 51359

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the info. I will see what I can find. What a great group. :shock: 8) :lol:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm about to do my first oil change on my C50. I went to the suzuki store and asked for an oil filter my C-50. The guy gave me part #16510-03G00-X07. I see that the oil filter most people talk about is #16510-06B01. Do I have the wrong one?

Also, what type of oil do you use when changing the rear gear oil?

Thanks.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Replied to the same question in another thread regarding the oil filter.

Rear gear should be 80/90 Rear Gear oil. You should be able to get a quart at any motorcycle shop and it'll be good for several changes, as there's not much oil in the rear gearbox.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I did the oil change, thanks so much for that reply easing my mind about the oil filter. I ended up getting some synthetic gear oil, its 75W 140. I had read in other threads it was okay to use this for synthetic oil, hope I'm okay :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
must not make the stp one anymore cant find it am also going with k&n

·
Registered
624 Posts
Just remember, use the install directions for the aftermarket filter instead of the Suzuki Manual directions concerning tightness. The Manual is something like 2 full turns and that's only for the OEM filter because it has a thick gasket. I think the K&N was 3/4 turn or similar, hand tight is usually enough for aftermarket but it can be hard to get a good grip up in between the frame.

OH, and don't forget to make sure the gasket came off with the old filter. My dad just changed his oil and it leaked because the old gasket was still on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Although this info is 15 years old I was still able to use it to obtain the stp filter at autozone today. I wanted to update the part number of the stp as it has changed.
The stp appears to be the same quality as the tusk. They are both made in China. The stp element is red where as the tusk element is black.

STP s6018 $5
Tusk 1154930009 $4

Attachments

·
Ringo1965
17 Posts
I changed mine last week and used that STP filter. For $4.99 and able to easily get it at AutoZone, it seemed like a great deal to me. Might use the K&N in the future as I was trying to keep expenses down after having just bought the bike, paid the taxes and registration fees, bought helmets, tires, gloves, boots and so on and my accountant wife was just seeing the numbers stack up.

·
Super Moderator
20,459 Posts
don't keep records on your expenses,,,after the first year you'll wonder why you ever bought the thing...then you go for a ride, get home, turn off the key, close your eyes and realize the pleasure it brings comes w/a price...spent a lot of mornings over a pot of coffee searching the mc accessories sites seeing what else I could do to personalize the ride...never regretted any purchase I ever made. Bought my first suzi 2004 Volusia new...somewhere under 6k...kept it till 2010 putting 87k miles on it...kept a log on expenditures...think the overall expenditures modding and servicing the mc came to about 7k...worth every penny for the enjoyment I received. Ride safe and enjoy...as for the wife ...remind her its like having a new addition to the family that won't give you any grey hairs....just another way to have fun together.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts