Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:iI just want to change the exhaust, but not to go through the expense of buying a fuel processor for my C50. I hear different opinions. I just went to the dealer where I bought my bike yesterday, and was told because it's fuel injected I wouldn't need a processor. I'm not changing the air cleaner.

BlueCRider

·
Registered
55 Posts
Most likely you can go without it just changing the pipes. Any more and you will probably have to go with some kind of processor. I didn't have to add anything when I changed my pipes, only after adding a air cleaner did I install a dynojet processor

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EXHAUST CHANGE ON C50

fjm3rd said:
Most likely you can go without it just changing the pipes. Any more and you will probably have to go with some kind of processor. I didn't have to add anything when I changed my pipes, only after adding a air cleaner did I install a dynojet processor
:D

Thanks for the imfo. I'm just going to buy some after market pipes and see if I like the way it runs. What kind of pipes did you install, and did they go on easy? There is no backfiring or hesitation? The C50 is so new that I wonder if the aftermarket companies did there research. I hear people having problems with the brake pedal getting in the way.

BlueCRider

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WHAT PIPES FOR C50?

big ed said:
If you are not increasing air you do not need a fuel processor. Some said (I was one of them :oops: ) that to remap the computer just unplug the battery. Well, that works in an auto because one of the two or three memory chips is volatile (like RAM in a PC). Kill the power, lose the memory. But in the C50 it's flashed so killing the power won't do a thing. But our C50's do have a range that can compensate for minor variations in back pressure, temperature, et al. It is not as smart as an auto ECU but it will adjust a little. So it will adjust for pipes. It is not robust enough for loss of both back pressure (pipes) and increased air volume (intake). Worst case scenario is that it runs so lean that it burns your exhaust valves (major bucks).

With that said, you have a few options if you with to mod both intake and exhaust:
1. Install a fuel processor ($200-350);
2. Find a dealer who has the gadget to re-map your bike's OEM chip ($100-150);
3. Dyno it and then do one of the above.

Good luck!
:D

Thanks for the imfo. What pipes for the C50 do you recommend ? Do you think the variation in the fuel range will adjust for just changing the exhaust?

BlueCRider

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
C50 EXHAUST

fjm3rd said:
I put the Vance & Hines Straightshots on. If you can change the oil on your car you can install the pipes.
:)

I found out a lot of information about today from the service manager where I bought my bike. He said the C50 runs very lean, and does not have a sensor on it. If the bike doesn't have a Power Commander it'll run even leaner.

BlueCRider

·
Registered
129 Posts
Re: C50 EXHAUST

BlueCRider said:
fjm3rd said:
I put the Vance & Hines Straightshots on. If you can change the oil on your car you can install the pipes.

I found out a lot of information about today from the service manager where I bought my bike. He said the C50 runs very lean, and does not have a sensor on it. If the bike doesn't have a Power Commander it'll run even leaner.

BlueCRider
Check out this post. You don't need an aftermarket FI processor, because a dealer with the right equipment can reprogram your stock FI chip.

www.volusiariders.com/viewtopic.php?t=19580

Wild Man

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Wild Man said:
BlueCRider said:
fjm3rd said:

BlueCRider
Check out this post. You don't need an aftermarket FI processor, because a dealer with the right equipment can reprogram your stock FI chip.

www.volusiariders.com/viewtopic.php?t=19580

Hey Wild man lol, I knew you'd be on here. I also found out that the Suzuki
sport bikes with the same FI are set up completely different. The sport bikes FI isn't even connected to the exhaust at all. The FI on the sport bikes are connected to a valve, so the exhaust can take any aftermarket pipes just for the sound, and doesn't do anything to the performance of the bike. Anyways, that sounds great about what you said, but I don't know anybody around here that would reprogram the chip do you?

BlueCRider :D

Wild Man

·
Registered
82 Posts
Now for a little twist........

I added Jardine slash cuts and rode for a week without changing anything. The C50 ran great. Then the air filter and FI2000 came in. I installed the FI and installed the K&N high flow air filter. I set the FI to something like 4.5, 5, 4. The bike ran great for about three weeks, then started flooding/surging/and bogging at speeds between 35 and 75.

I checked the lights on the FI. Turned the key to on, all three lights came on. Started the bike, all three lights stayed on. I read that only the green light is supposed to be on when you start the bike. If all three stayed on then it is a gray white wire problem. I soldered all three of the T-connectors and the FI lights worked like they were supposed to. The bike ran awesome. However that lasted about three more weeks. Over time I destroyed the FI2000.

So now I have the Jardine pipes, and the K&N and the bike runs like a champ. Better than new. My wife threw the original OEM air filter away on one of her cleaning sprees. I called the dealer saying that I wanted to purchase a OEM air filter. I told him what I was trying to do, just get back to stock except the pipes. He said on the Dyno the OEM filter flows more air than the K&N in their tests. I said cool, forget the new OEM filter.

One thing is, I don't like the sound of the pipes as much without the fuel processor, but the bike runs excellently. I hope I'm not burning the exhaust valves. I have no backfiring, no hesitation, excellent low end tourque. It's running like a top!

Anyway, I ordered a new FI2000 yesterday, after-all I still have the T-connectors installed.

Here's the strange delima.....

The bike runs great with K&N and Jardine pipes, so do I really need to richen the fuel that much? I may go over to the dealer and dyno tune the bike with the FI for optimum. Interesting. I've heard others talk about losing some low end torque with similar FI settings to what I had. Maybe we don't need to richen that much. I am going to go with the default settings on the new FI2000. I think the last one I had was just purely faulty. Too many people on here are having too much good luck with them. I'll keep you all posted.

Kevin

·
Registered
129 Posts

BlueCRider said:
Hey Wild man lol, I knew you'd be on here. I also found out that the Suzuki sport bikes with the same FI are set up completely different. The sport bikes FI isn't even connected to the exhaust at all. The FI on the sport bikes are connected to a valve, so the exhaust can take any aftermarket pipes just for the sound, and doesn't do anything to the performance of the bike. Anyways, that sounds great about what you said, but I don't know anybody around here that would reprogram the chip do you?

BlueCRider :D
Lew,

I'd call around to other dealers if Enfield Motorsports can't reprogram the chip for you. This should be a fairly standard service that dealers should offer.

Wild Man

1 - 12 of 12 Posts