Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I've been a member of this group for awhile but this is my first thread. I was on a ride the other day and on the freeway going steady at about 65 when my bike decelerated out of nowhere, it kind of felt like my bike shut off. It was still on, I kept going and had no other side effects. A few minutes later after getting off the freeway I heard a terrible knocking noise when I came to a stop. I immediately turned around and went home. It's defiinitely in the upper part of the motor. I checked the oil immediately and it was really low, I'm usually really good about my oil levels but i'm worried I might have ruined my motor. I had no check oil light, heat warning or anything. Bike still turns on but has a very loud knocking noise. Never saw any smoke, or any other problems. I'm going to take it to a shop as soon as I can, I'm not very mechanically inclined. Any idea what I might be in for cost wise? Can I ride the bike there or do I need to trailer it? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
I heard a terrible knocking noise when I came to a stop. I immediately turned around and went home. It's defiinitely in the upper part of the motor. I checked the oil immediately and it was really low, I'm usually really good about my oil levels but i'm worried I might have ruined my motor.
You realize of course, it is absolutely impossible to diagnose engine maladies over the internet??? Anyway, I hate to say it, but if you ran it that low on oil, then you more than likely lunched your engine.....

Any idea what I might be in for cost wise? Can I ride the bike there or do I need to trailer it? Thanks for the help.
No. You can't ride it. At this point even starting it is likely to do even more damage.

What is it going to cost? Probably a new engine. You can get them from a junk yard or from e-bay for around $1200 or so. Installation will cost you a few hundred more over the cost of the engine. The other option is to rebuild it, which could run as much as $2500.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Greetings, I've been a member of this group for awhile but this is my first thread. I was on a ride the other day and on the freeway going steady at about 65 when my bike decelerated out of nowhere, it kind of felt like my bike shut off. It was still on, I kept going and had no other side effects. A few minutes later after getting off the freeway I heard a terrible knocking noise when I came to a stop. I immediately turned around and went home. It's defiinitely in the upper part of the motor. I checked the oil immediately and it was really low, I'm usually really good about my oil levels but i'm worried I might have ruined my motor. I had no check oil light, heat warning or anything. Bike still turns on but has a very loud knocking noise. Never saw any smoke, or any other problems. I'm going to take it to a shop as soon as I can, I'm not very mechanically inclined. Any idea what I might be in for cost wise? Can I ride the bike there or do I need to trailer it? Thanks for the help.

my bike did the same thing last july.... It turned out to be a busted valve the ended up going tru a piston.... I was told bike was running to lean and that was the cuase.... It is easlier and cheaper to replace the engine the rebuild..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments even though this is what I was afraid of. I realize this was my mistake. Now i just need to figure out if I want to buy a new engine or sell it as is for cheap.

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
Anyone else notice that C50+high mileage+freeway=death?
Interesting. Just today I was asking a friend about highway riding, and "how long can I run an 800cc engine at highway speeds of 115-120 kms/hr, before I have to start getting worried!"

If it was a C90, and not a C50 I might not be as concerned.

Just thinking more about long term highway running, at those speeds, without stopping?

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Well, as I found out, 38,000 miles IS high mileage for a C50 motor! What sucks most is I took exceptional care of it! Never used anything BUT synthetic oil, followed the maintenance schedule to the letter and always double-checked my work! For whatever reason, these engines seem to cross a threshold where they start using oil at an alarming rate and there's not anything you can do to prevent it!

·
Registered
19,612 Posts

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I would say "C50+No oil+highway speeds = death"

Where did he mention he had high mileage on the bike?
If the oil was getting low on him, I would be willing to be he has a decent number of miles on the bike. It was an ASSumption on my part, but I would rather call it an educated guess based upon what we've seen around here in the last couple years.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Anyone else notice that C50+high mileage+freeway=death?
Hey Steve
My cousin's riding buddy has a 05'c50 with 60000 miles on it not kms
and rides it continuously at speeds of 70mph and I asked him what if any problems with it and he said 1 valvel adjustment when he first got it, other than that oil changes and regular maintenance only.
He's been all over the States and Canada with it and has never even had a hicupp, luck or what... who would know but he's waiting for it to give him any type of a problem so he can have a reason to switch, And by the way it doesn't use a drop of oil that he's noticed from doing his own oil changes.

:wayhappy:

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
In the last 4 years of being a member here, I have only seen 1.... ONE..... Uno....... C50 make it beyond 80,000 miles. A few have made it to the mid 70,000 range, but they are the rare exception. Most C50's seem to blow the motor between 40,000 and 60,000 miles. In my experience, attention to maintenance details is not a factor either.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Most twins will only last about 60000miles anyway that guy I was talking about is an exception... My other freind with a VN2000 Kawa had to get his top end rebuilt at 62000 miles. Most HD's don't even make it that far before having some type of engine work done. If we wanted a bike that would last like a car we would need to get Goldwings, you know 6 cyl that sounds and runs like a car, but they're not as cool as twins.
In any case though, if you don't have enough oil in any motor, it will as Srap puts it... lunch (that was suttle)

I would say now he has a reason to get a new bike sweeeeeeeeet!!!!

Have fun with your new bike Skrapiron!

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Hey Steve
My cousin's riding buddy has a 05'c50 with 60000 miles on it not kms
and rides it continuously at speeds of 70mph and I asked him what if any problems with it and he said 1 valvel adjustment when he first got it, other than that oil changes and regular maintenance only.
He's been all over the States and Canada with it and has never even had a hicupp, luck or what... who would know but he's waiting for it to give him any type of a problem so he can have a reason to switch, And by the way it doesn't use a drop of oil that he's noticed from doing his own oil changes.

:wayhappy:
ME TOO!!!
I just turned 7000 miles. Owned 14 months. I bought it new and broke it in like I stole it. Wide open then let off throttle all the way home for 9 miles.
Yesterday I was right up against a rain event as I left work. The radar showed a storm almost on me.
The interstate was almost void of traffic which is rare. For the first time I held the right grip in such a way that it was not twist anymore. We Southerners call that WFO. I did this for 2 miles on a slight up hill grade. The little jiggly thing in the petro tank was pointing at the 9 and the 5. 95. It points at the 8 and the 5 every day for 20 miles. 85.
Do I need to sell the bike???????
My Suzuki does not use one drop of oil and I'm ready to prove my comments to anyone (at your cost). I'm running full synthetic 20-50 v-twin mobile 1. I have 2400 on this oil and plan to go to 4000 miles before I have my oil analyzed to see if it needs changing.
I guess I bought the wrong bike.:crying:
I've been wanting a white honda st1300 abs, so now I have an excuse to trade.

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Best of luck, Hi-Viz. I wish my bike had been as well built as yours seems to be!

Reactions: Hi-Vis

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
ME TOO!!!
... I bought it new and broke it in like I stole it....My Suzuki does not use one drop of oil
THERE IT IS! I'm telling you- BREAK IT IN HARD. That could very well be the difference. I would be willing to bet the worst oil-burners were those broken in lightly. I break mine in hard too and they don't use oil.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My 07 doesnt use any oil yet and just turned 30,000 miles. I broke it in hard. wide open throttle in all gears after the engine warmed up for short durations. I use Rotella oil. Check your oil everytime you ride and more often when on long duration high speed trips. My wifes 08 vstar 650 doesnt use oil either and it was broke in the same way as my 50.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
^again. I wish I could make people understand just how important this is! This should be stickied on this site, because it seems to be so critical to making these motors seal up well.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts