Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Mine is a Canadian model in kph, but it always reads 10% too high.

I can ride for days at 75mph when the shield is on. Without the shield, I'm much happier at 55-60mph. The C50 doesn't seem to care either way.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
It's hydraulics guys. If you have ever skied on the water you know what happens when the speed drops too low. You fall into the water.
If our engine is engineered correctly more speed means more hydraulic cushining. When we run an engine too slow is when metal contacts metal (metal falls into metal).
The Harleys guys are and always will be at odds because the newer fuel injected V-twins idle too high taking away that beautiful world famous potato potato sound. When I owned my Harley in 1982 I was told that I had better idle it up. I did not know then that they idled at less than 10 psi. Anyone know what our 800s oil pressure is at idle?

Keep your fuel mixture proper, oil clean, rpms up and all is well. By rpms up, I don't mean run it wide open all the time. Every engine has its limits.

·
Premium Member
27,214 Posts
Keep in mind that if you are talking about a speedometer indicated 75 mph, you are in reality, going closer to 65 mph.

The bike would stand the actual 75 mph just as well though.....
Well about 10% or so anyhow. My C50 was a squirrely beast at a true 75MPH. It would do it but I didn't like it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about, "the whole bike is shakin' so hard I'm afraid to take my eyeballs off the road to look at the GPS!" and "squirrely" my bike is sure footed and smooth (for a V-Twin) at all speeds at least up to 110 MPH actual speed and I would not consider the bike to be underpowered for an 800 its actually good on power (its not a sportbike) also at higher speeds the vibs are actually smoother than at 65-70. If the bike is shakin' or squirrley then something mechanical is wrong, out of true wheels or wheel balance is bad, cupped tires, front shocks (replace oil) or bad springs, rear shock worn or improperly adjusted for weight, worn swingarm bushings steerig head has play worn bearings also wheeel bearing that are worn can cause problems like shakes and squirrleyness. Get you bikes looked at by a professional before its too late...

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
I do find less vibration if I hold my speedo at 83 mph. Kind of a smooth zone.
Our speedo error is 7%.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I've said it before and I will keep saying it until someone agrees with me. I only run premium in my bike. I have found that it vibrates much less with premium. I also have the honest abe mod but I don't know how much that comes into play.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I've said it before and I will keep saying it until someone agrees with me. I only run premium in my bike. I have found that it vibrates much less with premium. I also have the honest abe mod but I don't know how much that comes into play.
You will not get a agreement from me on the premium gas. Running fuel with a higher octane rating than you need only causes the bike to carbon up the combustion area of the bike. Reduces power and will eventually cause harm to the engine due to carbon build up.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I will not debate any of that except, are you sure the motor isn't designed for a higher octane fuel and again with all due respect, many are in agreement with you, however, the manual says something like "minimum" regarding octane. Am I wrong on that?

·
Premium Member
27,214 Posts
In certain parts of the country like mountain regions you can get some very low octane gas. Motors designed for premium have higher compression and run at higher temps so they burn off the carbon buildup from higher octane gas. Higher octane gas is a knock control measure for performance engines. It does not give you more power or run cleaner. Because of premium's tendency to build carbon up in motors, it runs cooler, the manufactures put in a detergent additive package that helps to minimize carbon build up. Running a tank of premium in your bike once in a while will help clean injectors and may clear some carbon buildup on the valves. This is only because of the detergent additive package and has nothing to do with the fuel being high octane. You can accomplish the same thing by putting fuel injector cleaner or Sea Foam in your tank a couple times a year.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Thanks for your answer. I periodically use Techron in the tank. Under hard acceleration with 87 I get a valve rattle. Pretty sure its a rattle and not a ping. On the higher octane, the bike just runs smoother and no rattles. The valves were in spec according to that last service a few thousand miles ago but I swithced to the higher octane right after that. Maybe I will try and do my own valve adjustment next time around. I'm sure it will be a pain in the arse though. I just checked the manual and it does say "at least 87". Everything has 10% ethanol in it though.

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
^ No such thing as "ethanol free gas" in my parts of the woods, have checked it out many times. I hate the stuff, when I ride South and get real gas the bikes run much better.

·
Administrator
29,816 Posts
75, no problem, all day. Check the oil when you stop for gas.

·
Administrator
29,816 Posts
It's hydraulics guys. If you have ever skied on the water you know what happens when the speed drops too low. You fall into the water.
If our engine is engineered correctly more speed means more hydraulic cushining. When we run an engine too slow is when metal contacts metal (metal falls into metal).
The Harleys guys are and always will be at odds because the newer fuel injected V-twins idle too high taking away that beautiful world famous potato potato sound. When I owned my Harley in 1982 I was told that I had better idle it up. I did not know then that they idled at less than 10 psi. Anyone know what our 800s oil pressure is at idle?

harley davidson flstf fatboy potato sound - YouTube

Keep your fuel mixture proper, oil clean, rpms up and all is well. By rpms up, I don't mean run it wide open all the time. Every engine has its limits.

You are spot on, Vtwin engines take far more punishment on the low end than the high end, it is inherent in their design.

Reactions: mfile2000

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
You are spot on, Vtwin engines take far more punishment on the low end than the high end, it is inherent in their design.
Hold it! So when I run my engine at lower rpms cruising in 5th instead of 4th I am harming my engine? More so than the lower rpms are extending its life and saving gas? I have no position here, I am just trying to understand. And if so, is this true for automobile engines as well?

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
Thanks Mr Eff.
mfile, When you slow down your engine you also slow down your oil pump. Less oil pressure can allow the crankshaft to come in contact with the main & rod bearings. Only a $20 oil analysis can tell if you are damaging your engine. (Unless you tear it down and measure the parts with a micrometer.)

Reactions: mfile2000
21 - 40 of 68 Posts