Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 08 c50 and like to ride the hiways. Is 75mph too much for the bike for 2--3 hrs at a time? or is this really beating on it, I'm 62 so this is most likely my last bike so I would like it to last.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
ive had mine for 7 years now and its still strong as an ox. i dont have a windshield or a batwing and all that so after a couple of hours of the wind trying to knock me off my bike at 70mph, im ready to get off. lol

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Keep in mind that if you are talking about a speedometer indicated 75 mph, you are in reality, going closer to 65 mph.

The bike would stand the actual 75 mph just as well though.....

Reactions: 472viper

·
Registered
354 Posts
The engine does seem to spin like crazy but you get used to it. Reminds me of my old Miata, geared low but the engine lasted forever. Did 500 miles at speed a week back, half of that into the teeth of 25-30 mph Texas winds.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Your bike will handle that speed no problem.However, you may want to consider getting a DJ drive or one of the other modified drives available for the bike as it will make riding at those speeds more enjoyable because the gearing is taller a the bike won't sound as if it is working so hard. I don't even usually shift into 5th on the slab until I'm going 65 or so.It makes riding the slab more relaxed and at lower speeds you're not shifting all the time.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
These engines were designed to run at a higher RPM, running in the range of 65-75 mph is not going to hurt the engine at those speeds the RPM's are in what I call the "prime range" there is still enough power to get going if you need to and yet you slow down to the speed limit in a hurry if needed;) I just did a run the other day at 75-85 for about two and a half hours. I have noticed that since around 20,000 mi. on the odometer that the bike uses alot more oil when run at the higher speeds (above 80mph). Have fun riding.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I put 30k miles on my Vol doing that speed (or more) for long stretches at a time.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
It was for me. The freeways around here are 65 MPH, which means traffic is moving at 70+ and the interstates are posted 75 MPH outside of the metro area, so traffic is doing 80+. I just wasn't comfortable at those speeds on the C50T, so I traded it for a Nomad which could easily handle those speeds. I'm not saying the bike couldn't do it, I'm saying I didn't like the bike at those speeds.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Just keep a closer watch on oil level. They may use alittle at sustained speeds like that. As miles accumulate, oil consumption may increase abit. Wouldn't be the first of these motors to be toasted due to forgetting to check oil level.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I would seriously think about adding a DJ drive to the bike if you regularly cruise at 75. Not so much that the bike won't take it, but because your ride and comfort level is so much improved. Try riding your bike at an indicated 65 and that's pretty much what your bike will feel like at 75.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you already have the bike then go for it.

If you are about to make a purchase...

I've done 7 - 10 days of bike camping on my bike in the southwest and generally use if for day trips and an occasional overnighter.

The bike can easily handle 75 mph for 2-3 hours at a time. It does have the ability to pass at that speed as well but the "roll on" speed of the c50 isn't great. If you throw a lot of gear on the bike or a second person at 5,000 feet in altitude, it is fairly maxed out at 85 mph. In those conditions, your roll on speed for passing is almost nil and the bike is vibrating so much that you can't use your mirrors.

That being said, I have taken it over the sierras with my wife to go hoteling in Reno, (from the central valley). The altitude gets up to 8-9000 feet but the passes are a lot slower. The ride for us is 6-8 hours with no problems. We are moving at 65 to 75 mph at around 5,000 and climbing without much vibration.

I think 2-3 hour trips with the bike is easy depending on your local geography. If you are planning on riding across the country with a fully loaded bike on a regular basis then you will probably need a bigger bike.

·
Premium Member
11,782 Posts
When I had the VOL I put 33k on her and about 32k of that was at speeds over 75mph, she never complained. What you want to watch out for is heat. If it's a hot day or if your stuck in stop and go traffic on a really hot afternoon, you want to keep an eye on the engine temp.

Other than that, speed away! :shades:

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Speedo error:

My GPS speed versus indicated on the speedo is consistently ~10% regardless of speed.

50 indicated is 44-45 on the GPS.

67 indicated is 60 on the GPS.

80 indicated is just over 70 on the GPS.

At 90 indicated the whole bike is shakin' so hard I'm afraid to take my eyeballs off the road to look at the GPS!

YMMV.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts