Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not all that acquainted with the mechanics in the DJ type drives but have been racking my mind. The 83 and 90 pumpkins are the substitute for the 50. with the machining that has to happen couldn't someone just replace the 5th gear from a bigger bike and trade it for the one in a 50. Like I said I haven't looked inside either but it seems to me that it would just be a change like changing the gear on a dirt bike. Or has anyone with some of the Suzuki home links suggested it. They have to know it is a constant complaint. Just curious!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I'll not go into the specifics of changing the transmission gear, but understand that when you change the rear drive, you are changing all the gears not just 5th. Every gear after the mod is different and it's the totality of that change that appeals to most riders that want and have done it. Each gear has more range, more roll on, whether it's up shifting or down shifting. Your not going to get that with changing one transmission gear only.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that part. It is just my curiosity mostly. With the DJ (type) drives you get a full range and 5th is like od. 1st on the other hand requires a little finesse to start especially up hill. I love most of the C50 but on the freeway it is winding way too much. needs another gear or a way to bring RPM's down. I don't know but am sure there is a fix somewhere.

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
Yes, there is a fix. Get a bigger bike!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I know that part. It is just my curiosity mostly. With the DJ (type) drives you get a full range and 5th is like od. 1st on the other hand requires a little finesse to start especially up hill. I love most of the C50 but on the freeway it is winding way too much. needs another gear or a way to bring RPM's down. I don't know but am sure there is a fix somewhere.
do you have a modded drive? how do you know, you yourself, how much finesse is needed to start up a hill in first gear? Did someone tell you that? The difference, IMHO, is negligible and it would be the same if you hopped on someone else's bike you had not ridden before in which it might take you two signal lights if your an experienced rider and then that's it. Hope this does not come across as condescending or rude. Not meant that way. just curious where your info comes from.

·
Registered
972 Posts
do you have a modded drive? how do you know, you yourself, how much finesse is needed to start up a hill in first gear? Did someone tell you that? The difference, IMHO, is negligible and it would be the same if you hopped on someone else's bike you had not ridden before in which it might take you two signal lights if your an experienced rider and then that's it. Hope this does not come across as condescending or rude. Not meant that way. just curious where your info comes from.

I just added the drive to my bike. I have to agree with rvcycleguy. The difference in pulling out is not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I am not all that acquainted with the mechanics in the DJ type drives but have been racking my mind. The 83 and 90 pumpkins are the substitute for the 50. with the machining that has to happen couldn't someone just replace the 5th gear from a bigger bike and trade it for the one in a 50. Like I said I haven't looked inside either but it seems to me that it would just be a change like changing the gear on a dirt bike. Or has anyone with some of the Suzuki home links suggested it. They have to know it is a constant complaint. Just curious!
I too wonder if you could just swap a fifth gear to make it more of an overdrive gear. The OEM fourth will take you to 100 mph so you could still drop down a gear for passing etc. It's never been done partially because DJ came up with the final drive swap. I wonder if high speed MPG would go up with a fifth gear swap to a more overdrive situation. You might even be able to go higher than the DJ drive swap with even lower rpms at super highway speeds.:wayhappy:

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
The bike has a limiter on it so you can't run too many RPMs. It seems to rev so high because you aren't used to hearing it rev so high since you switch gears so early with the bike. You can switch from first to second at 1800rpms, 4000rpms or 6000rpms. Thing is, you probably don't switch gears at 6000rpms too often, if ever. Some people say you have to switch between 1st and 2nd on a turn from a stop. Nope, you can run the rpms up a little more if you want to. Then, switch gears after the turn. Up to you.

The bike is made to run high rpms in 5th gear. (I am sure you have heard the crotch rockets revving up way past 8000rpms.)

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
you can do anything you want with enough time and money

take your drive off, and have a custom gear made to fit at someplace that can do it

could cost more then a new bike though

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
My guess is A fifth gear swap would be significantly less (maybe $150) than getting a drive from a bigger bike with and modifying it to work in a C50 or Volusia like many have already done with DJ and similar drives. Not counting final installation the DJ mod costs around $600 not a real lot when Passenger Floorboards cost $300+. Not close to the cost of say a 100 CI bikes.

A gear swap done by the owner might only cost $150 and labor.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
By the time and money you spend tearing the engine completely apart and putting back together to install taller gears you would have wished you would have went with the different drive

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
^^ Um, are you serious? Have you ever looked at the service manual? Do you have any idea how complex the internal gear cluster inside the engine? $150??? Maybe for the cost of all the seals you would have to replace, because doing anything to the transmission, will require the entire engine be torn down and the crank case split to remove the gear cluster...

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
By the time and money you spend tearing the engine completely apart and putting back together to install taller gears you would have wished you would have went with the different drive
Not to mention that the crankcase housing would have to be machined to accommodate the new gear cluster.... It can be done. But for $150? And by the owner? Without the aid of a machine shop??? :smoking:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I have/find the speeds in green to be comfortable for me. And I don't believe I have ever reached the limiter rpm of 7800.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It does rev super-high. Mileage suffers due to this. If the bike had a sixth gear or the larger drive stock, it wouldn't have to wind out. I mean come on, my 550 tops out at 107.5 stock, the Rebel 450 tops out at 141mph at 6600rpm, my 700 tops out around 150mph, but the VL800 is only 99.49mph max. All the bikes I mentioned are cruisers, not super-sport.

If the bike had a sixth gear for example, it would do 65mph at low rpm and save fuel. The DJ mod fixes this to an extent, causing ti to top out around 130mph if I remember correctly. This means 55mph-70mph is lower rpm, better mileage, and a better bike!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I've thought on this matter for a good deal of time and have come to this conclusion....the best alternative to swapping drives would be to replace the engine to clutch (primary?) gears with gears that yield a faster ratio....either by stealing primaries from other bikes or machining completely new ones.

1. Increasing the ratio at the engine produces less strain on the rest of the driveline than increasing the gearing in the trans or final drive.
2. These gears are of a pretty simple design and so should be pretty cheap to have modded or made.
3. Pretty much every ricer engine out there has these gears so finding a pair that will work or can be easily modded shouldn't be that hard.

While it clearly looks as though clearance would be an issue one must remember that for every millimeter larger you go on the crank gear the you must subtract a millimeter from the gear behind the clutch....meaning smaller diameter changes are needed than would be required if you were only changing one gear's diameter.

Am I the only one that gets nauseous looking at that pathetic four bolt clutch?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
It does rev super-high. Mileage suffers due to this. If the bike had a sixth gear or the larger drive stock, it wouldn't have to wind out. I mean come on, my 550 tops out at 107.5 stock, the Rebel 450 tops out at 141mph at 6600rpm, my 700 tops out around 150mph, but the VL800 is only 99.49mph max. All the bikes I mentioned are cruisers, not super-sport.

If the bike had a sixth gear for example, it would do 65mph at low rpm and save fuel. The DJ mod fixes this to an extent, causing ti to top out around 130mph if I remember correctly. This means 55mph-70mph is lower rpm, better mileage, and a better bike!
I will beg to differ with you that a C50 with a Modded drive will ever get close to 130mph. No way Jose...

The drive does not increase HP or top end.

·
Super Moderator
25,171 Posts
I will beg to differ with you that a C50 with a Modded drive will ever get close to 130mph. No way Jose...

The drive does not increase HP or top end.
OK, I'll agree that it doesn't change horsepower, but it does change torque. I am curious though, why do you say it doesn't change top end? The only limitation I can think of for top end is the rev limit on the engine. The whole purpose of a transmission and drive shaft is to increase top end. If I never shift out of 1st gear I'll never be able to hit 60mph. It stands to reason then that having a higher gear ratio in 5th would increase the mph on the bike at the maximum RPM of the engine, this increasing top end.

I could be completely wrong on this one, it did happen one time back in the 80's. :D I truly am curious why you say that.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 34 Posts