Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 30 minute commute from work and already in my neighborhood I had laid my 2013 C50 down only weeks after purchasing from the dealer. At the end of the street I was making a right turn onto Yale when a driver not paying attention because he was texting made a sharp left turn onto Wapoma cutting into the right side of the road right in front of me. I countersteered to avoid hitting him and lose traction in the rear tire from a puddle in the gutter.

The guy looked up and just realized what happened. The guy said his wife was nagging at him through text and he was texting back as he cut in front of me. I joked with him that his wife has something else to nag him about and he better get some flowers because he will be in the dog house when his wife finds out.

He helped me pick up the C50 and assessed the damage. The damage are some scratches to the exhaust, air filter cleaner cover, right barend, and right floorboard. Then a bent rear brake pedal. He gave me his business card for the collision repair shop he works at and offered to help fix the damage at his cost.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt. Bikes can be repaired.

Inattentive drivers are a real hazard.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
What a moron - blames his wife....
Glad you're OK, sorry for the damage. The guy should repair the bike for free or face the ticket plus raised insurance rates. YOU'RE doing HIM a favor by not reporting the accident.

It's inattentive drivers like him that kill more motorcyclists each year than I care to think about - sounds like driving in your own neighborhood will be the most dangerous part of your day. Stay safe.

·
Registered
624 Posts
First off glad you are OK. But, this is where Insurance is unclear to me. I know the guy offered to fix your bike at his collision center at his cost. But since it didn't get reported to the police or the insurance companies, is there anything holding him to that?

I just don't know, I feel like I'd want to cover my ass and at least talk with my insurance company if it were me.

Maybe someone else can chime in if they have a better understanding for a scenario like this?

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
I would never let the guy off like that. He ought to have his ass handed to him for texting while driving. You weren't hurt, that's good, you could have been killed.

Now what happens if you get into repairs and discover a damaged frame. The bike is totalled. Is he going to be a "nice guy" and help you buy a new bike ?

·
Registered
579 Posts
texting

Nice of him to offer to fix the damage at his cost.....how do you know you are going to get top quality parts,paint etc by skilled motorcycle people?
You know though, I'm losing faith in the police anymore. I had a guy hit me on the interstate(not on my bike) in Orlando Florida and the stupid ass cop wrote it up that I was changing lanes and it was my fault. She lied about statements that were supposedly made and all I get for a complaint from the police is "well it's a he said/she said situation" I'm stuck and I'm the one that insurance will go up. She wrecked a 30 year driving record.
And the cops wonder(don't care) why people don't trust them either.
Glad you are okay and I hope you get your bike fixed correctly. Still doesn't help the fact that like my van, once it's wrecked it hurts the value.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I would never let the guy off like that. He ought to have his ass handed to him for texting while driving. You weren't hurt, that's good, you could have been killed.

Now what happens if you get into repairs and discover a damaged frame. The bike is totalled. Is he going to be a "nice guy" and help you buy a new bike ?
I will double that. He deserves a ticket, his insurance (if he has any) should pay for all damages and his rate should go through the roof. Texting and talking while driving is something I see people do every day and they are usually not in their lane when they do..

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
After 30 minute commute from work and already in my neighborhood I had laid my 2013 C50 down only weeks after purchasing from the dealer. At the end of the street I was making a right turn onto Yale when a driver not paying attention because he was texting made a sharp left turn onto Wapoma cutting into the right side of the road right in front of me. I countersteered to avoid hitting him and lose traction in the rear tire from a puddle in the gutter.

The guy looked up and just realized what happened. The guy said his wife was nagging at him through text and he was texting back as he cut in front of me. I joked with him that his wife has something else to nag him about and he better get some flowers because he will be in the dog house when his wife finds out.

He helped me pick up the C50 and assessed the damage. The damage are some scratches to the exhaust, air filter cleaner cover, right barend, and right floorboard. Then a bent rear brake pedal. He gave me his business card for the collision repair shop he works at and offered to help fix the damage at his cost.
Did you file a police report?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im sorry I probably went off on the guy. My co-worker was killed while doing his route because some little girl was texting and clip his mail truck and landed on him. She just got probation but my co-worker isn't here anymore.
Sorry to hear that about your co-worker.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
You are very lucky that there was only minor damage and I am glad that you are okay.
Hmmmmm blames wife for nagging via a text. Hmmmmm he needs to respond to her nag......if he didn't like his wife nagging then he should have turned off the phone. Viola no text message to bother you.
Texting and driving is actually getting worse than drinking and driving. I was almost ran off the road in my car from some jerk texting.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Wow, that could've been much worse in many respects. Hope the repairs go well and you don't suffer any after-effects.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts

Agreed here. I'd be inclined to make it official with an accident report and insurance claim... just to cover you in the future should something unexpected pop up. AND he needs to pay some real consequence for texting while driving.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I'm a firm believer in any technology going forward that interrupts the cell phone signal when the vehicle is placed in the Drive gear mode. If a driver is in Park, let the phone go crazy... This cell phone distraction driving is going to kill me or someone I know. Its an epidemic that is growing out of control. I live in a state where the governor won't sign a new law to make it criminal or a citation to drive and talk or text. He feels we need to be more educated to make drivers more aware of the safety issues of their self absorbed, self importance, I Don't Care attitude. If I knew the driver who caused me to wreck this week was on the phone, I would have called for police right then. Make an example of these idiots who think their conversation is more important than my safety.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts