Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
There were more than 2 million bikes in DC yesterday. I had a pretty good sampling of exhaust note all around me.
I didn't go to Rolling Thunder this year. Bummer.
I either pulled or ripped a muscle in my side or maybe something else has happened that's causing me pain that ain't going away. I decided to rest it over the last week until my next doctor follow-up appointment in a few days, hopefully to see if it gets better. It didn't. :-|

Usually by this time of year I'd have at least two trips under my belt. So far this year: none. The funny thing is that riding the motorcycle itself doesn't cause any discomfort, but all the associated activity of motocamping and touring would. I still ride, but just daily fun runs and commuting.

I'm hoping to get it all figured out soon so I can get back to traveling.

·
Registered
43 Posts
sorry for not replying sooner...i was on vacation...plus i am not computer litterate... i get lost on the computer and can not find my way back some time...the process i used to remove my muffler baffles is not reversible... i have a very long cutting chesile and a sledge hammer that is used...it took me a couple of hours to complete...the hardest part was getting the mangled baffles out but i got her done...i really like the sound especially at highway speeds...my friend has cobras on his 800 Kawasaki Vulcan and they are very crisp with a high loud tone...i think mine sounds much better

·
Registered
43 Posts
hey joyrider i forgot to mention that besides removing the muffler baffles i also cut and closed the connector(cross over) tube between the two mufflers...each cyclinder goes straight to it's own muffler with no balance tube connector...i never checked the mileage before i made the muffler mod so i can not give good info on that...but roughly i get 45-50 miles per gallon...i do ride it like i stole it most of the time...i did not take photos...i looks just like it did stock...i wished i knew how to let you hear the sound...but posting something like that is way beyond my computer skill...hope the info is good for you if you decide to make the mod

·
Registered
19,344 Posts
Having ridden behind gutted VL800 pipes for nearly 1000 miles, I can assure you that you are the only one who thinks they sound nice. It is more like a loud rasp, mixed with a wet fart and some fire crackers thrown in for good measure. The VL800 simply does not move enough air in or out to create the good deep tone that you get from a larger displacement engine.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
hey joyrider i forgot to mention that besides removing the muffler baffles i also cut and closed the connector(cross over) tube between the two mufflers...each cyclinder goes straight to it's own muffler with no balance tube connector...i never checked the mileage before i made the muffler mod so i can not give good info on that...but roughly i get 45-50 miles per gallon...i do ride it like i stole it most of the time...i did not take photos...i looks just like it did stock...i wished i knew how to let you hear the sound...but posting something like that is way beyond my computer skill...hope the info is good for you if you decide to make the mod
Thank you! I appreciate the feedback. I'm sure there isb somebody here that would like to do the same thing - I haven't seen anyone removing the connector pipe, and actually taking the time to remove the remainder of the muffler. Sounds interesting, no pun intended :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Having ridden behind gutted VL800 pipes for nearly 1000 miles, I can assure you that you are the only one who thinks they sound nice. It is more like a loud rasp, mixed with a wet fart and some fire crackers thrown in for good measure. The VL800 simply does not move enough air in or out to create the good deep tone that you get from a larger displacement engine.
yeah, I figured that was the case. I've been riding in PA during Memorial Day weekend - 99.9% Harleys with big engines, most of them had no ATGAT (not even helmets), and 90% of them with loud, nice sounding exhausts :) not all of them obnoxiously loud though, but most. I was in Milford and New Hope and vicinity, and there were more bikes than cars. Single rider I saw wearing full ATGAT like myself was riding a BMW GS1200GS fully build out for adventure touring :) That motor and exhaust sounded pretty sweet too.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Its Done - I can't hear the bike's exhaust anymore...

Installed the stock exhaust. Highway (no earplugs) - no problem. Streets - like bike is not running. I can now hear my C50's engine and transmission sounds, and that annoying front brake squeal :) Now need to relearn shifting without a gear indicator and very little sound to go by, lol. The best way I can compare the two: V&H exhaust - jackhammers at full swing; stock exhaust - small displacement water pump.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Installed the stock exhaust. Highway (no earplugs) - no problem. Streets - like bike is not running. I can now hear my C50's engine and transmission sounds, and that annoying front brake squeal
Now need to relearn shifting without a gear indicator and very little sound to go by, lol. The best way I can compare the two: V&H exhaust - jackhammers at full swing; stock exhaust - small displacement water pump.
Isnt it awesome!

·
Registered
19,344 Posts
Installed the stock exhaust. Highway (no earplugs) - no problem. Streets - like bike is not running. I can now hear my C50's engine and transmission sounds, and that annoying front brake squeal :) Now need to relearn shifting without a gear indicator and very little sound to go by, lol. The best way I can compare the two: V&H exhaust - jackhammers at full swing; stock exhaust - small displacement water pump.

Learn to ride the bike by feel. When the vibes begin to creep up and get into your handlebars, then you know it is time to shift. Learn to listen to the bike. It will tell you when it isn't happy.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Learn to ride the bike by feel. When the vibes begin to creep up and get into your handlebars, then you know it is time to shift. Learn to listen to the bike. It will tell you when it isn't happy.
Thanks! Will be doing that. It is very apparent now above 65 mph, I need to shift up 0:)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Do I need to reset ECU on my 2008 C50 (disconnect negative terminal for a few seconds/minutes) now that I've went back to stock exhaust?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Do I need to reset ECU on my 2008 C50 (disconnect negative terminal for a few seconds/minutes) now that I've went back to stock exhaust?
My answer is based on what I did, not what I know to be true. I didn't do anything. I just took off the aftermarket put on the OEM and ran it. I don't think it would hurt too unplug the battery and maybe I will do it now just as a good thing to do? Have had it back to OEM for about a month now everything seems fine.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
My answer is based on what I did, not what I know to be true. I didn't do anything. I just took off the aftermarket put on the OEM and ran it. I don't think it would hurt too unplug the battery and maybe I will do it now just as a good thing to do? Have had it back to OEM for about a month now everything seems fine.
This is what I though as well. I will probably do it at some point in the future, when I have a need to take off the seat.

·
Registered
188 Posts
This is what I though as well. I will probably do it at some point in the future, when I have a need to take off the seat.
The only thing I noticed when I went back to OEM was they seem to run hot. My bike doesn't get hot just I feel heat from the pipes. That being said my Cobra exhaust had a heat shield from the very top at cylinder to the very back. OEM pipes have no heat shield at the first six or eight inches coming out of the cylinders. That's where I feel the heat. But like I said my bike doesn't run hot. No temp light, no excessive fan running.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts