Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm switching back to OEM exhaust on my 2008 Suzuki C50 and looking for advice from veterans of this forum: Is there anything I need to do/check/buy to make this process quick and painless?
Current exhaust is V&H Straight Shots. Once I acquire an OEM exhaust, I'll order two exhaust gaskets (part #14181-10F00) to replace current ones, and will put blue thread locker on all bolts.

Is there anything else I should check, perform maintenance on while I'm taking-out current exhaust?
Bike has ~5,400 miles.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19,337 Posts
Nope. Direct bolt on process.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
It sounds right, just make sure valve stem caps are tight.

·
Registered
19,337 Posts
Yes. Too loud

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why are you removing the V&H system? Too loud?
Two reasons actually: one, and the more important - it is too F*****G loud. Second, and less important - the nice thumping sound goes away as soon as RPMs climb. On city streets (most of my riding is done during the week and in city setting) it is annoying and hurts my right year after a 25 minute accelerate-go-stop-accelerate... traffic. At higher RPM, it just doesn't sound as nice, and I can't ride even for short starches of highway without ear-plugs.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I also went back to stock. I own an 07 C50 and installed cobra streetrod slashdowns. Extremely Loud, and sounded tinny. Never really liked it even from the get-go but Road it anyway. Ears ringing even with earplugs. Finally got sick of it and put oem back on without any mods, omg, I love it! Not sure why I ever switched? Also had lowered rear 2.5", liked the look but also went back to original......the bike is now a joy to ride! Im 57 years old....maybe just too old for that. Lol. Maybe time for a goldwing!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also went back to stock. I own an 07 C50 and installed cobra streetrod slashdowns. Extremely Loud, and sounded tinny. Never really liked it even from the get-go but Road it anyway. Ears ringing even with earplugs. Finally got sick of it and put oem back on without any mods, omg, I love it! Not sure why I ever switched? Also had lowered rear 2.5", liked the look but also went back to original......the bike is now a joy to ride! Im 57 years old....maybe just too old for that. Lol. Maybe time for a goldwing!
Nahhh, You just like a plushier ride that doesn't send jolts of pain into your spine on every bump.

·
Registered
19,337 Posts
Two reasons actually: one, and the more important - it is too F*****G loud. Second, and less important - the nice thumping sound goes away as soon as RPMs climb. On city streets (most of my riding is done during the week and in city setting) it is annoying and hurts my right year after a 25 minute accelerate-go-stop-accelerate... traffic. At higher RPM, it just doesn't sound as nice, and I can't ride even for short starches of highway without ear-plugs.
This. 100% this. Loud exhausts sound great at idle on sub liter engines but at speed are obnoxious fart machines.

·
Registered
19,337 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Yea. Those are the pipes I have!

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
If you want loud, just remove the pipes altogether.

·
Registered
19,337 Posts
That's basically what Steve's pipes do. There is nothing but a short tube to direct the hot gasses past his legs. No pretense of noise control whatsoever.

·
Super Moderator
23,840 Posts
I had straight shots on my C50. I was actually happy to get rid of them with the bike. They were definitely too loud.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts