Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to bypass the key ignition and possibly replace with a toggle switch or push start has anyone ever done this? Tips? Help? I'm having the hardest time getting this to work I've done it on a honda shadow but there were 3 less wires!

·
Registered
20,365 Posts
With no keys, I'm more worried about how you plan to put gas in the tank.... There are no aftermarket options for that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have my key. So I can open my gas tank no problem. I'm just wanting my ignition to be a toggle switch

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
There's going to be one wire that operates the rear parking light feature.
Figure out which that is, and there's one wire you can worry less about.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Here is a copy of the wiring diagram. If you share your model year, it might help answer your question. Ignition switch is in the left bottom quadrant.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Wiring diagram seems similar. There seems to be a couple of different fuses going through a few different circuits that terminate on the key switch. If i were you, I would use a relay(s) rather than wire everything on the same single pole switch. Or find a three pole switch that completes three circuits when toggled on, because that is what the ignition key switch does. The industry term is 3PST switch (3 pole single throw). be careful of the maximum rated DC voltage: often switches are rated for 125 V AC, and only 30 V DC; motorcycle is using DC power. DC is more taxing on switches, because It doesn’t change polarity 50/60 times a second like AC, so a switch has to work harder to brake the circuit. If you use a switch that is not rated for sufficient running DC voltage and amperage, it will eventually burn the contacts and might either melt itself or wire terminals.
One of the options is given here (probably not suitable for C50 due to 20A rating only) https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NKK-Switches/S31?qs=WCT%2BFox0FCSQNjV%2BnciPdw==

·
Registered
625 Posts
Look for a switch that can handle at least 30A on DC power, the more the better. Starting current can be up to 30A. If you can find a 40A or even 50A (unlikely in this form factor) it would be ideal: it will last longer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts