Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

My name is ryan and I am new to this forum. I live in australia qld on the sunshine coast.

Im about to drive two hours tomorrow to have a look at a 2005 vl800 assuming its the c50 efi model. It has 42xxx kilometers on the clock.. I was just wondering is there anything I should be taking into special consideratiob when buying one of these. What certain things to look for to make sure the bike is in roadworthy condition.. ive not bought a bike before more or less been given bikes so this is first time by myself.. I just want to go with a checklist of everything I should look carefully at before buying any strange notes. And if theres not already I belive in the bikes for sale section after someone helps me out with a list of things to look for to make it a sticky so other people may know what to look for. Just a suggestion

Cheers ryan

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ryan. :)

You are asking the question at the right time.

There are lists of checks that are available on line but basically the inspection Falls in five areas

Frame
Battery/charging/lights
Suspension/steering head
Tires/tread depth/age
Engine and transmission performance/condition

There are a few maintenance items that should be done after purchase but those shouldn't be deal killers.

There will be others who will fill in more details for you as well.

Here are a couple of links for you

Inspecting a Used Motorcycle Before Purchase

Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide

Reactions: beezer and PopPop

·
Registered
21,177 Posts
Check the tires, brakes, brake lines, fuel lines coolant level, oil level fork seals, rear brake and the rear drive. All rubber hoses are supposed to be replaced every 4 years. The tires every 5. Anticipate a large maintenance bill to bring everything up to date before you even consider a ride around the block.

Reactions: PopPop

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Some questions to ask is when was the bike ridden last? With 42klm , the bike may have accumulated those in the first 5 years and then parked for 5 more years. Or, was it ridden continually for all those years. Mine is a 2006 and ridden daily or weekly so it's in good shape and would not need a expensive maintenance to be ridden home or first day ride. Trust your instincts or take a friend with you who knows more than you if possible. Be skeptical in regards to what a seller tells you. Make him or her prove it if possible with receipts, records, call the shop for verification, etc. good luck.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Specifically to this model...
Shaft drive. Make sure it operates smooth and quietly.
Make sure steering bearings work smoothly, and no low speed wobble with hands off the bars.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Go with the attitude that you just looking to get a feel of what's available. Don't sell it to yourself...... Make him sell it to you... with lots of facts !

·
Registered
238 Posts
don't be afraid to test ride the bike put a good 30 mins on it if they will let you normaly by that time any hiden flaws will stick there head out listen to the motor realy good should sound like a sewing machine with a lite ticking sound if you don't here this then prob the valves are going to need adjusting just my 2 cent worth and good luck hope she is a perfect lady for ya =)

·
Registered
283 Posts
It's in Australia.:wayhappy: Don't you guys know anything?:biglaugh:

Sorry, my typing is too slow.

Coops.

·
Super Moderator
25,576 Posts
good luck with it...enjoy and ride safe. make sure you check your tire pressures also...it may have been sitting for a while.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Yes - max hot psi. Leave about 2 psi and adjust cold.

Reactions: mstrrab1992

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Coolcoolcool Thanks.
There are many factors involved in choosing the pressures of a person likes to run.

For instance if the bike has a windshield and maybe lowers, the person will need to run more pressure because of the wind loading on the front forks and the front tire at highway speeds.

Pressure can also be a factor in the cause of cupping the front tire depending on the style of tread grooving that is used on a given tire.

The 38 psi and 40 psi for front and rear tires respectively would be the maximum hot pressures.

Leaving 1 to 2 PSI less when cold allows for expansion.

Always I just tire pressures when cold even sitting in the sun can affect the pressure readings.

It would be good for you to try running with different pressures all the way down to the factory recommended ones to see which you prefer and which give the best performance for your riding.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.