Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! So, I did a dumb this weekend and forgot to take off the lock I have on my front wheel. Long story short, I busted a couple spokes right at the rim, shearing off the nipple itself. A couple questions at this point:
1- How serious is it? Obviously I want to address it sooner than later, but how immediate of an issue is it?
2- One of the shops I contacted basically said I needed to wait until winter, and they wont guarantee the work. Is it really that labor intensive?
3- Am I possibly better off just buying a decent used rim and swapping them out?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
33,528 Posts
I wouldn't ride it with busted spokes. They are the structural integrity for the wheel, and that is now compromised.

I would guess that the labor intensiveness is dependant upon how much damage was done on the rim itself. If the spokes snapped and didn't damage the rim, it shouldn't be too bad, but if they pulled up the rim at the base on their way out, they may need to repair that.

I would get an estimate from the shop on the cost of repair and compare that to a replacement rim to make the call on which is better. Remember that when you buy a used rim, you have no idea if the history, so you may be buying one that was repaired itself. That means there's really no advantage, other than cost, one way or the other.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't ride it with busted spokes. They are the structural integrity for the wheel, and that is now compromised.

I would guess that the labor intensiveness is dependant upon how much damage was done on the rim itself. If the spokes snapped and didn't damage the rim, it shouldn't be too bad, but if they pulled up the rim at the base on their way out, they may need to repair that.

I would get an estimate from the shop on the cost of repair and compare that to a replacement rim to make the call on which is better. Remember that when you buy a used rim, you have no idea if the history, so you may be buying one that was repaired itself. That means there's really no advantage, other than cost, one way or the other.
That's basically what I've been seeing from pretty much everything, yeah. I've been looking, and it looks like there's really only a couple options as far as replacement spokes go. Don't suppose you know of anywhere other than Buchanan for alternatives to the OEM?

·
Registered
21,201 Posts
There is not a lot of aftermarket support for these bikes. Wheels and wheel accessories like spokes are limited to one or two vendors or OEM. Your best option would be to order a full set of replacement spokes and nipples, then find a wheel shop to re-lace the wheel and true it up.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hey everyone! So, I did a dumb this weekend and forgot to take off the lock I have on my front wheel. Long story short, I busted a couple spokes right at the rim, shearing off the nipple itself. A couple questions at this point:
1- How serious is it? Obviously I want to address it sooner than later, but how immediate of an issue is it?
2- One of the shops I contacted basically said I needed to wait until winter, and they wont guarantee the work. Is it really that labor intensive?
3- Am I possibly better off just buying a decent used rim and swapping them out?

Thanks!
Hit up fleabay...some reasonable priced wheels....most need prettied up with some steel wool on the spokes but at least they'll get you back riding quick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts