Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may qualify for the DAQOTD (dumb a$$ question of the day) but here goes.

I have been reading up on daytime running lights and what I am seeing indicates that bright amber/yellow running lights make the rider more visible than additional white lights.

We use a 1157 bulb in the front turn signals and Sylvania rates their standard 1157 bulb at 402/38 lumins with the running light filament at 38. The brighter 2357 bulb is rated at 503/38, again with the running light at 38, no improvement.

I would like to know if anyone has switched the leads so the brighter filament is always on and the dimmer filament cycles on and off with the flasher? My concerns are
1. if the dimmer filament would actually be able to be seen cycling on and off against the background light of the much brighter filament
2. if having the brighter filament on continuously would put too much drain on the electrical system or too much current through the switch wires (26.8W each vs. 7.1W each for the dimmer filament)
3. and if switching the leads on the front signals would have any impact on the function of the rear turn signals

If anyone has tried this, let me know and all you electrical wizards please chime in. I may give it a shot this weekend.

Thanks in advance to all that will pop in with other alternatives. Please hold those thoughts for a few days until there is some feedback on this topic.

Good hunting

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I went with the Radiantz brand LED turn signals and haven't regeretted it. They are VERY bright and being LED they use a minimal amount of juice and don't get hot. They have a lot of different options, check it out:

Radiantz LED Lighting

·
Registered
666 Posts
Short answer is it wont work like you want it to.

You would not be able to see it cycle since the bright it always on, basically "canceling out" the dim light. How the turn signal works is the low filament is always on. When the blinkers are turned on, the bright filament turns on and is brighter than the dim filament. The dim filament does not turn off when the bright comes on.

Also, like you mentioned yourself, you would be running more power. A substantial amount more power. I'm sure the generator could keep them powered, until your wires burned up. Turn signals are not supposed to be on all the time. They will get hot, hopefully burning out the bulb before the wiring.

As for the led option. I am not sure how they are built to work in a regular socket. It could be that the dim light turns off when the bright comes on because they are not "dual filament." You could always get an led bulb and some leads to try testing it with your battery. Wire it so the bright is on and then try to power the dim light on and off.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Just add sealed beam (4411) driving lights to the existing set up. Always on or put a switch on the mounting bracket. The single headlight, pair of driving lights, and the amber daytime running/ turn signals provides a light pattern that is most apparent to attentive drivers.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I'v e been running 4411's on mine for 2.5 years. Won't leave home without them. Installing them on my trike this weeked. The turn signals are not bright or big enough to be used as to be seen driving lights. That being said, LEDS are brighter and use less juice. You can replace the std blub with LEDs but you need to add resisters because the flashers wont work.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Short answer is it wont work like you want it to.

Also, like you mentioned yourself, you would be running more power. A substantial amount more power. I'm sure the generator could keep them powered, until your wires burned up. Turn signals are not supposed to be on all the time. They will get hot, hopefully burning out the bulb before the wiring.
Kyle,
Thanks. That was my main concern. I will look at some other options.

Good hunting

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have these for my running lights. They shut off and go to amber when I turn on the turn signal

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks Loudpipe. There are several styles of switch back LED lights that fit the base. Do you have any specifics on the type or source? Can you notice an increase in brightness over the standard incandescent lamp?

Thanks and good hunting

1 - 12 of 12 Posts