Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, had alittle break in the weather yesterday evening and took my C50 for it's first roll. Holy cow is it nice and I was amazed out how much balance and control you have when coming to a stop. At 5'10 it almost feels perfect.

Also amazing is how quickly things start to come back. My last bike was 18 years ago, yet I caught myself actually lifting my leg up to my old Kawasaki pegs and getting that feeling of 'where did they go!'.. but then relaxing to 'ahh, right up front alittle.. just relax.' :lol:

I think I felt a bond. :oops:

The dealership told me to keep in town, try not to bring its RPM's up and try not to stay at the same speed for 600-1000 miles. Now, that's alot of town driving and my question is maybe after 100-200 miles would be ok to take it on a 55mph hiway for alittle.. what do you recommend?

Thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That's somewhat different from what my dealer told me. While I agree with not keeping it at the same speed, we were not restricted to city riding. The only thing was to keep it at max half-throttle for the first 600 miles and max 3/4-throttle for the next 600 miles.

·
Registered
27,502 Posts
I know there are varying opinions on this, but what the break in period really means is...don't go like hell for exended periods of time. Vary your speed, RPMs, etc. Don't get out on the interstate and head to CA at a steady speed! :lol: It's not going to hurt it to go 80, just not for long periods of time consistently. Ok, well maybe not 80 cause you might get pulled over....unless of course you're on 540 and you'll get run over by all the people going faster than you! :lol:

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Jungle said:
At 5'10 it almost feels perfect....
I'm 5' 10" also and I couldn't agree more. Being as that's the average height for an American male I think that's probably the mid-range target most bikes are built for. I am perfectly comfortable on the bike.

I put highway pegs on it and find I rarely use them because I'm just more comfortable with the driver pegs.

The only negative is with a sissy bar, I can't swing my leg over to mount up and have to lift it over the drivers seat. I'm not that limber or tall to do that easily.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
vary your rpms, don't go WOT and don't lug the engine for about 500-600 miles.

That's what I've had luck with.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Jungle said:
Well, had alittle break in the weather yesterday evening and took my C50 for it's first roll. Holy cow is it nice and I was amazed out how much balance and control you have when coming to a stop. At 5'10 it almost feels perfect.

Also amazing is how quickly things start to come back. My last bike was 18 years ago, yet I caught myself actually lifting my leg up to my old Kawasaki pegs and getting that feeling of 'where did they go!'.. but then relaxing to 'ahh, right up front alittle.. just relax.' :lol:

I think I felt a bond. :oops:

The dealership told me to keep in town, try not to bring its RPM's up and try not to stay at the same speed for 600-1000 miles. Now, that's alot of town driving and my question is maybe after 100-200 miles would be ok to take it on a 55mph hiway for alittle.. what do you recommend?

Thanks.
Its an 805 cc Vtwin...Just ride the damn thang it aint gonna break...

:D :shock: :eek: :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
I'de stay of the superslab. and follow the recmmendations and don't "ride it like you stole it"

·
Registered
87 Posts
When my daughter bought her c50c last year, it was from a dealer 100 miles from home. I think it had 7 miles on it and I took off for home. It was highway not freeway most of the way home. I varied speed from 55-70 mph and was careful not to rev to many RPM's between shifts. The bike was ridden similar to that throughout the first 1000 or so miles. It does not use enough oil to even think about adding in 2000 miles. My c50 was broken in about the same way. It uses about 1/3 quart of oil in 2000 miles. I agree to not ride it like you stole it, but ride where you want and vary the rpm range and most importantly, ride safe.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I don't know for sure, but I'll bet the engines are broke in at the factory.

I think the misguided meaning of "break-in", refers to taking it easy for a while to see if any dealer assembled things fall before you get home.

No joke!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts