Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies in advace for gruesome details, but hopefully reading this sad post will save somebody’s health in the future.

A friend bought a 2007 Buell two weeks ago, just registered and last night got into accident: he t-boned a cab on an intersection in Brooklyn, NY. Accident was low speed (under 30 mph), unfortunately with very severe trauma. Broken leg, broken ribs, multiple cuts on the face and torn nose, concussion and the worst - blood clot in left hemisphere of the brain. Right side of the body is paralyzed, and if he is lucky, he will be able to regain full function of his body in the distant future.

If we were to learn anything from this unfortunate and sad accident, is the need for proper motorcycle training and gear (ATGATT). He was wearing an open face helmet (no shield), no other protective gear at all. He only had a learners permit and one week of experience riding a motorcycle, and he was riding at night. From surveillance footage we can tell that accident was avoidable (either swerving to avoid collision or emergency breaking); if he had a little bit more experience or proper training, and if he were wearing at least a helmet with a shield, the resulting trauma would have been a lot less severe. Impact to the face and broken ribs were caused by collision with handlebars.
I’m saddened and sorry I didn’t find out earlier that he bought a motorcycle - maybe I could have shared some knowledge I picked up in MSF classes.

Please pray for him, he will need it to stay alive and regain his health.

P.S. no names, to protect my friends privacy.

·
Super Moderator
26,447 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend. Hopefully, he heals quickly and fully. Riding can be dangerous, and proper training and gear are very important. We will definitely keep him in our thoughts and prayers.

·
Administrator
16,370 Posts
Prayers for your friend.

·
Super Moderator
8,982 Posts
More prayers for your friend, and his family. :(

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
sorry to read this..prayers for a total recovery.

·
Super Moderator
4,463 Posts
Thoughts and prayers going out from Gettysburg Pa.

·
Big Red Roamer
5,077 Posts
Prayers for your buddy. Good example of the importance of training, defensive riding and wearing the proper safety equipment. Hopefully, he will make a full recovery.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Prayers for a full recovery. It's a tough way to learn the realities of physics and the results of poor decisions and lack of training. A reminder of our mortality. Sending healing energy your way.

·
Registered
20,936 Posts
Prayers and healing karma on it's way.

Inexperience and lack of knowledge are a dangerous combination.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry to hear this... Prayers for your friend!

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Sorry this happened to your friend. I can't imagine riding in NYC with very little experience. Tough one.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Praying for your friend and his family fire man! The more distractions we come up with it is dangerous for even experienced riders.
MSF has advanced classes that help keep your skills sharp.
Just remember to practice defensive/evasive maneuvers when you ride, especially if there are a few days/weeks/months between rides.
I pray that he fully recovers and does things differently if he rides again!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all for support and positive energy!
Update: friend had a brain surgery done, has not regained conciseness yet (three days now). He will likely need several more surgeries before a more definitive prognosis can be made.

·
Super Moderator
8,982 Posts
Thank you all for support and positive energy!
Update: friend had a brain surgery done, has not regained conciseness yet (three days now). He will likely need several more surgeries before a more definitive prognosis can be made.
Oh, maaaan ....

·
Super Moderator
26,447 Posts
Thanks for the update. We'll keep him in our thoughts and prayers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts