Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking of upgrading the brakes on my intruder 800. I had them checked out, but I feel like I could use a little more stopping power. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Any significant difference, if possible, will not be easy. At the price point of the Volusia, you have to make some trade offs. Someone else may have some ideas, but I'm thinking maybe an anchor on a chain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The anchor and chain idea might be a possibility. My other bike has abs, so that’s whe I’m coming from. I would have to ride 2 up to deploy the anchor, and I like riding solo. I save this for last resort. :)

·
Registered
19,813 Posts
The only thing you can do to improve the braking performance for the bike is to replace the brake line with a braided stainless steel line, then replace the organic brake pads and brake shoes with a set of sintered metal pads and shoes. The difference is slightly better initial bite and less fade, but it also increases the likelihood of locking one or both wheels in a panic stop.

You cannot swap a C90 fork in for the C50 and you cannot retrofit the back to accommodate a disc brake.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Has anyone had a good experience with a front pad "upgrade" on these bikes vs stockish organic pads? Less fade would be nice. I'm thinking of going with something "semi-sintered". Not interested in tearing up the rotor.

·
Registered
19,813 Posts
The common "upgrade" is to install the EBC sintered pads and shoes. I wouldn't worry about tearing up your rotor using them. I don't know anyone who's ever had to replace a rotor on a motorcycle because of wear. Same goes for the drum.

It's long been joked that the best upgrade for the C50s brakes is to buy a different bike.

Reactions: xjfish

·
Registered
21,098 Posts
I upgraded to the steel line and added the sintered pads. It helps but you have to be very careful when using the front brakes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts