Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my last Brake light question was a flop, I thought I would try this one:

Anyone installed one of these modulators on a 01 VL800?

Those are the instructions but I do not want to cut wires I shouldn't. Are the wires I need located under the seat or back towards the taillight? Color wires that need cut etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
210 Posts
If I’m remembering correctly the wiring from the plug under your seat goes through the rear fender and runs under the fender to the underside of the tail light assembly and back through the fender. It would be easier to do your wiring under your seat.
On the 02 Volusia I had there was nothing under the right side cover below the seat, I fabricated a bracket and put a relay and secondary fuse box there. So there is extra room there if you need to tuck the module somewhere.
As for what colour wire you need cut, I don’t recall, sorry.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
I put in a back off modulator, but I don't remember it having nearly that many wires.
I think it only had 2 or 3.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I did that on 08, and really there isn’t much to it: you just cut the positive brake wire, splice in the modulator, and you are done. You might need additional power to run the modulator itself (splice in into running light) and depending on the model of the modulator, you might have to pick either LED or halogen bulb wire, and optionally modulation duration wire (might either need to short to positive or keep open for various duration of modulation, etc).
It might be enough space under the seat, but from what I recall the connector is rather short, and it might be challenging to have everything spliced properly. I was running a few additional wires to the back, so I chose to splice under the bumper, and insulate the heck out of it. If you lowered your bike, I don’t recommend doing it: there were reports of heavily loaded bikes chewing through the harness due to tire rubbing. As for the wiring diagram, I actually made one myself showing all modified runs and splices, I might have it somewhere or even posted here on the forum. If I find it, I’ll post it, but as I said, follow instructions to your brake light modulator, and find a diagram for your year bike (should be here somewhere on the forum) and splice using waterproof connectors or even better solder wires. Good luck, and feel free to ask for clarification on any of the steps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I found a Volusia service manual with wiring diagram at manualslib.com. The brake light + is white with black stripe - cut that one. Ground (battery -) is black with white stripe - spice into that one. There was room under the seat of my 06 M50 to install my flasher (same color codes).

·
Premium Member
14,425 Posts
Expanding on DickB's answer do all your work under the seat with the bike turned off and disconnect the black wire from the battery(as he did in the pic)

Cut the White with black stripe
CONNECT the RED wire on the flasher to the end going toward the front of the bike
CONNECT the YELLOW on the Flasher to the end going through the fender
SPLICE the BLACK on the flasher to the Black wire with the white stripe

Reactions: DickB

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is just the info I was looking for, with pictures to boot! Awesome and thanks again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know it probably doesn't seem like a big deal but I did get my brake modulator soldered in and it even works! Not much extra wire in there, is there? And It's all because you took the time to show me, Thanks Again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One thing I noticed is that it flashes differently when the bike is started than when I just have the key on? It blinks super fast and not the 4 steady flashes I have it set to. Can anyone think of a reason why?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts