Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a broken front turn signal so I decided to replace the front turn signals with aftermarket turn signals. I was able to get them on but when I wired them up behind the headlight, I have an interesting problem.

The turn signals only came with two wires while the OEM came with three so it did not make the wiring easy, plus the colors were different.

When the bike is off, I can turn on the hazards and use the turn signals with no problems, both the rear and front work like they are supposed to (the rear is still OEM BTW).

However, once the ignition is turned on, I can no longer use the turn signals or hazards.

Each turn signal has a green wire and a orange wire. I've tried different combinations but no luck in getting them to work when the bike is on.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
188 Posts
on the front turn signals you have 3 wires, a ground, a running light and the turn signal. The new lights are only 2 wires, a ground and one positive lead. You need a 3 wire light to get them working properly. Your rear turn signals will only be a 2 wire set up as they are only a turn signal with no running light. My guess is you were shipped a set of rear lights by mistake. You can confirm this by removing the light bulb from your new front lights and seeing how many terminals are on the bottom of the base, you want to see 2 little lead mounds on the bottom, not one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
on the front turn signals you have 3 wires, a ground, a running light and the turn signal. The new lights are only 2 wires, a ground and one positive lead. You need a 3 wire light to get them working properly. Your rear turn signals will only be a 2 wire set up as they are only a turn signal with no running light. My guess is you were shipped a set of rear lights by mistake. You can confirm this by removing the light bulb from your new front lights and seeing how many terminals are on the bottom of the base, you want to see 2 little lead mounds on the bottom, not one.
I've had two different sets sent and they both only have two wires. they say front. I don't need running lights..

Also, any idea how to get them to sit in the housing right? The OEMs came with a stem that fit the housing but now I just have a thread bolt and nut on it. In fact it looks like all replacement lights have this configuration but there's no place to put the screw back in to hold them securely in place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts