Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished my install. Not that extraordinary, but I did mount bar end style LED flashers instead of regular ones to achieve the look I wanted.
I tested a few different ones and ended up mounting the brightest ones.

Here are the models I had bought.

The left one is a brand called Spirit Beast, the middle one is Puig / DZ Hardware and the right one is a noname chinese version

Mounting was a bit challenging at the front, but went ok in the end, because the Puig ones came with a good set of mounting hardware.

Rear was easy peasy.

The blinking was a bit fast so I also replaced the relay

Video of the before/after ->

Lots more pics and some additional info on my blog (www.boulevardcruiser.com) if anyone is interested. I didn't wan't to vomit a mile long post here.

·
Registered
19,910 Posts
Motorcycles are damned near invisible to begin with. I don't see why people are in such a rush to make them even harder to see. Sure, the smaller signals look clean, but they're easier to miss at an angle, thanks to their diminutive size. All you need now is a slightly distracted driver to not look at the right moment....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Motorcycles are damned near invisible to begin with. I don't see why people are in such a rush to make them even harder to see. Sure, the smaller signals look clean, but they're easier to miss at an angle, thanks to their diminutive size. All you need now is a slightly distracted driver to not look at the right moment....
I see your point, but these new ones are brighter than the originals AND they can be seen flashing directly from the side better and they also have LEDs pointing both backwards and forwards.

I don't agree that I'm sacrificing safety with these particular ones.

·
Registered
19,910 Posts
It's not the brightness, but the location that is in question. Because it is tighter to the frame, it is more easily covered at less of an angle. The fact that they project rearward is little benefit unless viewed from an angle as well. Your body width and the width of the tank and frame will cover it more easily, than it would had you kept the 4" lollipop stems.

·
Registered
171 Posts
DOT requirements are 16" minimum distance center to center, if that matters to you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I finally finished my install. Not that extraordinary, but I did mount bar end style LED flashers instead of regular ones to achieve the look I wanted.
I tested a few different ones and ended up mounting the brightest ones.

Here are the models I had bought.

The left one is a brand called Spirit Beast, the middle one is Puig / DZ Hardware and the right one is a noname chinese version

Mounting was a bit challenging at the front, but went ok in the end, because the Puig ones came with a good set of mounting hardware.

Rear was easy peasy.

The blinking was a bit fast so I also replaced the relay

Video of the before/after ->

Lots more pics and some additional info on my blog (www.boulevardcruiser.com) if anyone is interested. I didn't wan't to vomit a mile long post here.
I like it, JN, what is not being taken into consideration is that they will be enhanced by the chrome lowers. The front ones are the most important, the back ones will be obvious, unless the 'driver' behing you is a complete idiot.

BTW, the only accident I ever had on/with a bike was the moron behind me, riding a 400, pulled up next to me on the left, while I was turning left, WITH MY SIGNAL ON, on my Gold Wing. Roll on, guy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
DOT requirements are 16" minimum distance center to center, if that matters to you.
I just checked my '09 C50 and they're 14", c to c, stock. And they passed inspection3 times. Did they change anything, grandfathered, maybe? It is, after all, 12YO.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My mistake. The requirement for front and rear is different. Here is the text of the requirement:

At or near the front—1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline at the same height, and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline of lamps) of 16 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and headlamp is 4 inches. At or near the rear—1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline, at the same height and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline to centerline of lamps) of 9 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between lamp and tail or stop lamp is 4-inches, when a single stop and taillamp is installed on the vertical centerline and the turn signal lamps are red.

·
Registered
19,910 Posts
So other than not being road legal and the reduced visibility, they look great. Hope you don't get an equipment violation ticket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DOT does not apply around here so those regulations don't mean much. I'll take my chances, the police have never taken any interest in any of my bikes over the 13 years I've owned bikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts