Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, 2 years ago I was hit by a minivan and my beloved C50 was written off. I had been admiring the Nomad for a few years, and before I even knew if I would ever ride again I had bought a new-to-me Nomad and parked it in the garage. A few weeks of physio and mental prep later I hopped on and went for a ride, and spent the better part of the past 2 years enjoying being back in the saddle.

As time went by my various hip, back, neck, and shoulder injuries bothered me more and more. I tweaked and I adjusted and I tried, but I could never get quite 100% comfortable on the Nomad. It really is a great bike, with lots of power and great looks, but just not for me any more. The last straw was the end of July when I took my wife for a weekender through northern Montana and Going to the Sun Road. Beautiful sights to be sure, but at the end of the ride we were both stiff and my wife suggested I go buy something that would be more comfortable.

Cha-ching! :moneyeyes:

I shopped around for a few weeks and finally bought a 2006 GW with everything but an airbag, barely broken in at 76,000km (45,000 miles), and a 2008 Fibrocorp trailer, all in mint shape. First test ride sealed the deal for me, but a 150km solo ride through Kananaskis on Sunday had me grinning from ear to ear. Nice low center of gravity, smoothe as silk, and power to spare. I found myself doing a few sweepers and twisties at 130-140 kmh (80mph) without even knowing it the thing was so smoothe. Don't know if I will keep the trailer, but since it was basically free with the bike, I think I will keep it for now and see if we get much use out of it.

It's snowing today, so everything is parked in the garage, but pics to follow ASAP.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Got pics?

What he sez ^^ ;)

I was going to wheel the bike out of the garage after work and snap a couple shots, but I got about 3" of heavy wet snow in my driveway that kinda killed the mood. Supposed to go up into the 20's (Celsius....into the 70's Fahrenheit) by the weekend, so hoping to get some pics by then. In the mean time, I'm surfing Ebay for the snowmobile track option for the GW. I mean, they have every other accessory for a 'Wing.......

·
Registered
172 Posts
Those are great bikes. Last weekend I earned some extra $$ by detailing my bosses 2005 GW. My wife fell in love with it after she saw it and sat in the passenger seat how comfortable it was compared to my C50T.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Congrats on the ride Tgrabiel. I was outside my garage yesterday on a fine day when a blue one went by. Did not even hear it coming. Talk about smooth. I just stood and stared and admired the scene. Honda new what they were doing with this project back many moons ago and I am of the opinion they were and still are the best long distance tourer ever, but that is just me. I can see myself on one in a few years when I am able to retire, send my son to college, and head off on long adventures to the west and south.

·
Premium Member
11,620 Posts
Welcome to the club. The wing is easy to work on, and has a ton of information out there. Welcome to smooth. :wayhappy:

They are quiet, pulled into a quicky mart, shut the bike off and got off. Guy in a car yells out "is that bike electric?" I said no, and he said, "I didn't even hear the motor."

On my second wing now, just picked up a 2014 back in Feb. Enjoy my friend.:shades:

·
Registered
988 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. After reading all this talk about snow I think I will test fire the snow thrower, go for a ride and MAYBE come home and mow the lawn.

Reactions: tgabriel

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmm, rode it Sunday and it snowed Monday. Now we know who to blame.:biglaugh:
Congrats, some day you will have to show it off to the local AB chapter.
Can't wait Andy!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.