Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just recently purchased my first motorcycle and chose a c50, seemed like a great bike during the test ride didn't seem to have any issues at all. I rode it all day that day and as I came up on the five to six hour mark it started to have some power loss issues. Realized this was due to a poorly maintained air filter got that swapped out and that issue was rectified. However there is now a pretty significant and prominent ticking/tapping sound coming from the rear cylinder. I believe it may only need a valve adjustment but I am concerned it could be the cam chain or tensioner. Would anyone have any information or good advice to give a first time buyer of a volusia/boulevard about this issue?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I should add it has 43,000 miles and is a 2006 that I purchased used from a private owner

·
Registered
139 Posts
Surely could be the cam chain tensioner or out-of-spec valves. And often, new owners not amiliar with the sound of the C50 engine think something's wrong when actually they are just hearing the normal sound -- sometimes described as a "sewing machine gone berserk".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Surely could be the cam chain tensioner or out-of-spec valves. And often, new owners not amiliar with the sound of the C50 engine think something's wrong when actually they are just hearing the normal sound -- sometimes described as a "sewing machine gone berserk".
Well it most certainly sounds like a "berserk sewing machine" at the rear cylinder is that where the sound should be heard from? I'd just like to feel better about my purchase than the idiot I currently feel like being totally honest.

·
Registered
20,161 Posts
Typically out of spec valves are quiet. The gap between the rocker arm and tappet will decrease under normal engine operation. The only time you will hear the valves is if someone did a valve clearance adjustment and they did it on the exhaust stroke, not the compression stroke (there are 2 top dead centers)

Loud tapping from the cylinder is usually an indication of a worn cam chain, damaged cam chain tensioner, or a worn piston/rocker arm/wrist pin or crank bearings. The most common cause for this wear is running the engine low on oil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Typically out of spec valves are quiet. The gap between the rocker arm and tappet will decrease under normal engine operation. The only time you will hear the valves is if someone did a valve clearance adjustment and they did it on the exhaust stroke, not the compression stroke (there are 2 top dead centers)

Loud tapping from the cylinder is usually an indication of a worn cam chain, damaged cam chain tensioner, or a worn piston/rocker arm/wrist pin or crank bearings. The most common cause for this wear is running the engine low on oil.
I can also add that the tapp/tick increases with raised rpm.

·
Registered
20,161 Posts
Slight ticking is normal. Loud ticking, thumping or knocking is not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Slight ticking is normal. Loud ticking, thumping or knocking is not.
I appreciate your reply on the matter I dont necessarily have alot of funds at the moment to put forth towards any repairs or consultations (hence why I feel very dumb at the moment for my first purchase of a motorcycle) what would you recommend I do first? The ticking is certainly prominent enough that it raised concern.

·
Registered
20,161 Posts
Use a screwdriver as a stethoscope. Put it to the engine case, then put the handle to your ear. Move around the cylinder to determine the location (top, middle or bottom). This will tell you where you need to look.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Use a screwdriver as a stethoscope. Put it to the engine case, then put the handle to your ear. Move around the cylinder to determine the location (top, middle or bottom). This will tell you where you need to look.
Does it matter whether the engine is warm or cold when I do this?

·
Registered
20,161 Posts
No.

·
Super Moderator
28,746 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

Skrap is a much better mechanical resource than me, so I'll leave you in his capable hands, but just thought I'd welcome you for your first post. 😊

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you I appreciate it
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

Skrap is a much better mechanical resource than me, so I'll leave you in his capable hands, but just thought I'd welcome you for your first post. 😊
Thank you im glad to be here and I very much enjoy the look and feel of my boulevard, luckily I found a very reliable mechanic that a few of my buddies use for their bikes to be serviced and he feels it just needs a valve adjustment so I do believe I may have gotten off easier than i previously believed with my purchase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So as an update, I did the screwdriver test to both the front and rear cylinders and the rear cylinder is making the loud ticking noise I spoke of previously at the top of the cylinder which has led me to believe it is most likely something to do with the valves needing adjusting. I have an appointment to have it adjusted at a shop this next week but I do have another question? What causes the "angry sewing machine" sound? Is it the non hydraulic lifters? And how loud is too loud when it comes to this "normal tick" everyone speaks of with the boulevard

·
Registered
15 Posts
J1970GTX
hi I had alot of noise coming from my engine as well I had the valve adjustment done and then when i got it back and it sounded just like a sewing machineI thought my whole problem was my valves but the folks that i had do the valvles adjustment said the other was my cam chain but dont worry about it to much as they had another customer have the same issue for years and hers sounds a lot worse then mine..also they told me if i wanted to get of that noise it could cost up to 2 grand to have then ca, chain and tensioner done..the shop i took it to was a suzuki repair shop and the mechanic had been with them for 25 years

·
Registered
2009 C50, Bully intake and EFI, Cobra pipes
5 Posts
My bike had a ticking noise when it first started up but went away once the engine warmed up for a few minutes. Adjusting the valves didn't change it. I put a Cobra exhaust on there and now I can't hear the ticking noise🤣

1 - 16 of 16 Posts