Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, well, it all started many years ago with my much LOVED c50, then onto a much loved Vstar 1300 Tourer and ... well, took the 1300 up to the Smoky mountains with my wife last week, had a great time, did the Tail of the Dragon, then onto Gatlinburg TN. Got photos of it all AND on the last day, the rains came, POURING RAIN but that did not stop[ us from going to SMOKY Mountain Harley and trading in my much loved 1300 tourer for a 2014 Harley Road King!

My god, I was scared shitless leaving the place, rain pouring down, 220 plus mile trip home, we even had other plans to take a taxi to a car rental place in Knoxville and rent a car one way home and pick up the bike in better weather another day. However for the same amount of money I bought a Harley Rain Suit, watched the weather radar and seemed to look like we would have a "hole" in the rain and the second half of the ride should be dryer. SO we set out on the new bike pouring rain, mountain roads and took it slow, steady, said a prayer and praying to finally get to the interstate where things would be a bit less hilly etc. Well halfway into the ride, the rain did stop and rest of the way home was like heaven....
Here are the photos, sorry about all the selfies, also we were standing under a BLACK BEAR eating Cherries out of a tree in Cades Cove.
Shutterfly | Slideshow

Also 3 camera phone photos picking up the bike at the dealer and then almost 200 miles later getting gas... photos in reverse order.
Shutterfly | Slideshow

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bear! WOW, TANNERSVILLE NY!
My god, born, raised, grew up and spent most of my life on Long Island NY till moving to SC 8 years ago BUT while living on the Island, every chance we got we would head upstate NY and there was a places in Tannersville, MANY, MANY years ago that we would rent a motel room with other friends, party all night in the dead of winter, right off I forgot what road and there was a mountian creek behind the motel, many good times up there, why part of the reason to moving to SC, much less congestion then Long Island, LOW taxes and ok, warm climate! *L*
My friends from long island, still go up to Lake George EVERY year and one of their aunts has a home in Woodstock. Havent seen them in years, I want to ride up there some year. ( i might have told you this in the past? years?)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
9,365 Posts
Welcome to the dark side. as Beezer said, beautiful amber whisky/silver Road King. Enjoy and ride safe

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
I'm seriously thinking my next bike will be a Road King. I'm over the whole bat wing fairing thing and I NEVER listen to the radio.

I like everything Harley did to the 14's. They even figured out how to simplify a saddle bag lid. LOL

Enjoy !!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for the above comments and wishes.
I know amber/silver color can be a controversial thing, I know its different and why it was for us. The only thing that needs to go is the seat. Sure, it feels fantastic in the showroom, nice and plush for me and my wife, but like any stock seat, after 2 hours, OUCH! Anyway, about to order my Mustang Seats again, never owned a bike without them and work well for us and our size.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm seriously thinking my next bike will be a Road King. I'm over the whole bat wing fairing thing and I NEVER listen to the radio.

I like everything Harley did to the 14's. They even figured out how to simplify a saddle bag lid. LOL

Enjoy !!
Thanks and Ohhhh yes, the saddle bags a dream to open and close!

·
Pearly Gates Chapter
4,789 Posts
Schweeet

Congrats on the schweeet KING.....Big fan of the Roadkings...Like viper said. Get over the amenities of the glides and just pure nimble riding pleasure....Good luck. Best. D.

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
Congrats again. It's sad that your no longer welcome here (well by at least one administrator) just because your choice of bike.

Ride it. Enjoy it. Ignore the idiots.

·
Administrator
29,695 Posts
Alarmguy,

I hope you like the smokies as much as i do, I have a cabin near Fires Creek if you're ever in the neighborhood with bears aplenty. I Ipad. So I cant see your pics... Post some to the site... Which color?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
949 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike. I bought my Nomad from a guy in Lynchburg VA, and rode in home to DE in the rain. Lots of pucker factor, but smiling all the way. :wayhappy:

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
Alarmguy,

I hope you like the smokies as much as i do, I have a cabin near Fires Creek if you're ever in the neighborhood with bears aplenty. I Ipad. So I cant see your pics... Post some to the site... Which color?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Which color ?

Thanks all for the above comments and wishes.
I know amber/silver color can be a controversial thing,
Makes your post sound soooooooo genuine. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

No Bobby Harley dolls ?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have heard a lot of good about the Harley hammock or sundowner.

I have a Mustang, wife loves it, me.......meh.
Im a big fan of Mustang seats, had them on the c50, vstar 1300 and just ordered them for the Road King, they will (hopefully) be here by the weekend. I dont know much about the Harley seats from Harley, I do know they offer very reasonable prices on them but dont knwo anyone with them so going with the tried and true Mustang, thing is, I guess being an RK Mustang had so many options that I couldnt make up my mind, so I went with the closest seat I have been using on the other two bikes because they never let us down.

Never thought about people with Ipads having issues with photos, but true, Ipad doesnt have flash.
Here is a low res. camera photo, one from the dealer as we were preparing the bike to leave for our trip home.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.