Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at Bluetooth headsets for my wife and I while we're riding. She wears a full helmet, and i wear a convertible 3/4-full face helmet.

I'm looking at Sena, as they have a pretty solid reputation it seems. The question if have is if i should get the Sena SMH10 or the Sena SMH5. The biggest difference seems talk time, but if tere is any other issues, now would be the time to know.

While this is brought up, what does everyone else use for headsets? And what would you recommend?

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
i love my SMH10, it works great and the new firmware allows you to connect with non-Sena headsets.

·
Registered
191 Posts
SMH10 here too. I switched from a Scala to the Sena unit and am happy. My wife likes it better too as I do not interrupt her music with a VOX activated intercom call as much any more.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
We use the Scala G4 multi set. Made riding together enjoyable. Our next setup when we are ready to upgrade will be the Sena system.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My wife and I both needed full face helmets for winter and we've been talking about getting a communications system. We seen that Cycle gear had Bilt full face helmets with bluetooth communications for 179 dollars each so we got 2 of them. I can't believe what a change its been talking to her while we ride together is great but what I really like is the music when I ride alone I never rode with tunes. I'll probably only ride with my full face helmet even in the summertime.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Scala Q2 Multiset. It's an older model and doesn't have a lot of features, but it's reliable, works well with my Blackberry and the batteries seem to last forever.

·
Super Moderator
8,878 Posts
BearBait and I have a set of Scala Q4 headsets. We bought the Scala Q2 when it first came out, then upgraded to the Q4 for its improved transmit/receive distance between bikes. (We each ride our own.)

We're very satisfied. Bluetooth is a wild improvement over what we used to use, which was CB radios.

I recommend mastering the key sequence to put them headsets on constant talk, instead of voice activation. Sometimes the voice activation can be sluggish to trigger.

·
Premium Member
11,782 Posts
I have a wing and most of those riders who have wireless use the Sena SMH10. They all give it good reviews, but it can be pricey. I hear that are comming out with a new model this year.
I am still confused about bluetooth. You can pay 200 dollars for a Sena SMH10 unit, but if you have a cell phone you can get set up for 50 bucks. And it seems no one talks about the quality of the music you might pump in there. You hear "great for voice" but I want a set that makes my music sound good.

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
i love my SMH10, it works great and the new firmware allows you to connect with non-Sena headsets.
That is an awesome feature! :applause:

Scala Q2 Multiset. It's an older model and doesn't have a lot of features, but it's reliable, works well with my Blackberry and the batteries seem to last forever.
I use the G4 with a Z10 and all works great. I'm amazed at the battery life. I can go two full days before a charge. :wayhappy:

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Thinking of buying a set of these. I usually wear a half lid in the summer..can a Sena be adapted to fit? or should I use a 3/4 / full?

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I have a wing and most of those riders who have wireless use the Sena SMH10. They all give it good reviews, but it can be pricey. I hear that are comming out with a new model this year.
I am still confused about bluetooth. You can pay 200 dollars for a Sena SMH10 unit, but if you have a cell phone you can get set up for 50 bucks. And it seems no one talks about the quality of the music you might pump in there. You hear "great for voice" but I want a set that makes my music sound good.
the sena has plenty of volume and the music sounds great (to me). i picked up the smh10 dual pack (2 of everything) for $240 or so.

i'm not sure what you mean by the phone. i have a simple setup and just pair my phone to the headset. the phone has a mp3 player that sends the music. the music is interrupted by a intercomm session or incoming phone call.

the new sena coming out is the 20S or something like that. basically the same features as the smh10 except its a lower profile, so it doesn't stick out as much.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Thinking of buying a set of these. I usually wear a half lid in the summer..can a Sena be adapted to fit? or should I use a 3/4 / full?
you need somewhere to mount the speakers. or you could get the ear bud adapter instead of using the speakers.

i personally prefer helmet speakers over earbuds.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Same kind of helmets for us 3/4 for me full face for the wife.
We have the Scala rider Q2 multiset by Cardo I fitted to both helmets easily purchased a few years ago. We love the Intercom feature makes rides a lot more enjoyable to be able to talk as we ride. Don't use FM radio, music, or cell phone hookup just use the intercom feature so a less expensive unit may have met our use. But I did have two different intercom only headsets and they both didn't work at speed I think they were wired but I junked them. Besides being wired together was a nuisance.
Bluetooth intercom is what we like.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My wife and I both needed full face helmets for winter and we've been talking about getting a communications system. We seen that Cycle gear had Bilt full face helmets with bluetooth communications for 179 dollars each so we got 2 of them. I can't believe what a change its been talking to her while we ride together is great but what I really like is the music when I ride alone I never rode with tunes. I'll probably only ride with my full face helmet even in the summertime.
im exactly like you, don't want any big ass thing on the side of the helmet or wire running in. I LOVE the music and especially the GPS if you don't know where your going. As for the bike to bike it works great at really low speeds or at a stop but not at like highways speeds, how about your builts? its still awesome to have, like I said you cant be yacking the whole time your at speed but when you start to slow down you can ask your riding buddy hey we going left or right here, or hey pull over I need to leak or whatever, makes a big difference vs. trying to yell at one another at a stop light. I have the vcan 136 which is the best bang for buck helmet with built in only about 110 and it works great, I usually wear my Torc T12 because it has the built in sun visor and that was about 250, I see vega has one now you can connect 3 helmets for about 250 each as well.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sena has the SPH10H and SPH10H-FM (which also has FM tuner) for half helmets. They are ear pads with speakers and the mic boom on one side, held in by your side straps. The SMH10 is for 3/4 and full helmets. the headset attaches to the outside of the helmet and the speakers are separate on wires so you can tuck them into the inside of the helmet.

I wear a half helmet year round and have the SPH10H-FM for me and my wife, and they are simply excellent. Love it.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Sena 10. Never had the Scala so i cannot compare, but I am not going to replace the Sena. Biggest issue was getting ear piece spacers so they were close enough to hear without jacking the volume up. Once I figured that out, piece of pie.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Sena SMH10BT for us. My wife wears a full face, and I wear a 1/2 shell. We have had them for a couple years and now I would not go without them if we are both riding. Range seems to be about .5 mile clear sight, less than that in hills or in town. The bluetooth works great for music or calls as well as communicating bike to bike. I can't speak for the other brands, as I haven't used them, but I really like these and think they are worth what they cost.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts