Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
It isn't mentioned because it is all expensive and wholly unnecessary. The "big bore" kit nets you an additional 55cc and when properly tuned gives you 3.4 additional HP, over the traditional pipes intake and tune.

If you absolutely feel the need to sink more than the bike is worth in "upgrades", go for it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's definitely not much. I just found it curious that someone actually has it. I am surprised they bothered with that kind of minor increase. Their exhausts do look very pretty and that paint scheme and the 21-25" front fenders look pretty. If money was no object I'd buy half their inventory just to have the prettiest Volusia around. I'm sure someone with loads of $$$ will want to take a look.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
A lot of folks who want to "customize" aren't terribly worried about price. They want to have a unique bike.

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
If I was in love with the bike and was faced with a rebuild scenario, the big bore kit is about the same cost as OEM, so I would consider it. But the issue comes into play when you bump the compression, even mildly you end up stressing the worn lower half of the engine. Over the years, we've had a number of members do just that (an upper cylinder rebuild) with no attention paid to the lower half of the motor, only to end up with a junked engine 6 months later when they spun a rod....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mean this is why having two motors, one on the bench being worked on and in the bike, recently rebuilt, is the way to go. I mean I see used motors on eBay for the. Volusia motors for about $600-750. That's certainly cheaper than a new OEM engine. You'd also need to buy replacement parts and all that, but you are essentially trading the ability to always have one good motor and ride at all times for money.

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
Or you could just buy a bike that doesn't need a motor swap every 50-80k miles.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That rules out all Harleys doesn't it? :p

But seriously, being able to ride at all times is pretty important to me. The more practical thing is what I've been doing: have two bikes and touch nothing on one while working on the other, then swap. Swapping motors is more work than that and not much cheaper. Having said that, I like the Volusia enough to want to keep riding it.

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
That's why I went with a Honda. It will be running when my grandkids start riding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts