Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

Bilt Bluetooth Helmet

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Buckshotmt 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the new Bilt Techno Bluetooth Full Face helmet? The information from the Cycle Gear website looks pretty interesting and the $179.99 price looks good too. To have everything built in and easy pairing of your bluetooth device like an IPhone is a good concept.

Motorcycle Helmets, Gear, Parts & Accessories - Cycle Gear

#2 ·
Just got through reading the reviews and they are not all that good. Helmet seems to be noisy and somewhat cheap. Everyone says the bluetooth works well. May go by the Roswell Cycle Gear store and check it out myself

#3 ·
I have a Cycle Gear store near me and I've looked at their brand helmets and determined they are inexpensive which translates to noisy, and heavy. I use a Scala BT and prefer to adapt it to my helmets. When I change helmets, I can attach the BT. With a unit that is incorporated into the helmet, you obviously don't have that option. With helmets and tires, you can generally get quality with more price. You get what you pay for. I don't skimp much on either.

#4 ·
I agree with you rv - I have a great Shoei full face helmet and Metzeler tires on my bike, so I am not going to go cheap on something important like a helmet. What do you recommend for a bluetooth system that will fit into a Shoei Qwest helmet?

Reactions: rvcycleguy
#5 ·
I had the Scala Q2 multiset. Then upgraded to the Scala G4. Just this week, I purchased through a special offered here the Sena dual set with FM band. It's being shipped and expect it to arrive early next week. The Scala has been very dependable for us but I wanted the new design rotating control knob, glove friendly, system. $205 shipped for dual set. One for my helmet and one for my wife. I assume the Quest helmet will accept the clamp mounting plate which is forced between the liner and shell.

#6 ·
I have a sena SMH10 on my shoei qwest.

I'm sure a scala would also fit but i prefer the jog dial. Its souch eadier to use.

#8 · (Edited)
I use the Scala Q2 multiset on my 3/4 helmet and the wife full face helmet.

Does anyone known if the Bilt Blue tooth Modular helmet will connect to my wife's Scala Q2 Headset. I have read the Scala Q2 has trouble hooking up with none Scala devices.

I am considering the Bilt Blue tooth modular helmet the price is currently right (originally $399 on sale at $199) and all the reviews indicate it would be quieter than my 3/4 helmet. Have never found a full face that worked with my prescription glasses. But, Have read reviews and heard from fellow riders the modular helmets work well with prescription glasses.

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/...h-Modular-Motorcycle-Helmet/p/44139_200897_21

#9 ·
I do have this helmet and I got my wife the modular one for 20.00 more. I wish I would have gotten 2 modular but it's too late now. As far as the bluetooth it works pretty good for music and conversation between helmets. The thing I don't like is the noise coming from the vents. The little doors whether open or closed is loud and the faster you go the worse it gets. Anything over 75 mph makes it impossible to hear the speakers no matter how loud you have them set. Since my wife and I prefer back roads as opposed to highway they work for us but if most your riding is interstate don't buy this helmet. As far as quality of the helmet the straps are a little flimsy but other than that it's ok the drop down sun shades work very well and I like the look of the helmet so I'm satisfied. It is what it is. I got what I paid for when I upgrade I'll spend more on a better system.

#10 ·
I wonder if stuffing a little foam in the vent openings might help when you plan on an occasional high speed freeway trip. With the foam acting like ear plugs for the helmet. Like you I rarely go over 75 generally only to pass someone in a hurry.

Do you know if the Bilt Bluetooth will hookup with the Scala Q2 Multiset?

#11 ·
It is my understanding that Scala is specific to Scala. While the BT will sync with GPS, phone, music etc, it is my research that it will not BT to another brand.

#12 · (Edited)
That's what I heard too that older communication units which only hook up with similar units; I was hoping the newer technology units will hook up better than the older units bridging the communication problems with advanced technology.

Maybe the Bilt intercom can do the heavy lifting and hookup with different brands? If not I can wait for technology to catch up with my needs.

#13 ·
I see the newer intercom units can be software upgraded. Maybe this opens the door for one of those computer guys/hackers to be able to defeat the brand preference problems. Possibly Unlocking the Brand software like they do with cell phones making the Bluetooth headsets able to communicate across brands.

#14 ·
I see the newer intercom units can be software upgraded. Maybe this opens the door for one of those computer guys/hackers to be able to defeat the brand preference problems. Possibly Unlocking the Brand software like they do with cell phones making the Bluetooth headsets able to communicate across brands.
the sena smh10 has upgradable firmware. so when they add functions, you can get them for free.

for instance, firmware 5.0 just came out. it allows pairing with non-Sena headsets and music sharing between intercom pairings. they also made improvements to the microphone input to remove wind noise (not that it was bad before).

#16 ·
I noticed the Bilt modular helmet with Bluetooth had some better reviews on the Cycle Gear website. I don't have any experience with modular helmets - can I get some feedback on the advantages/disadvantages of these types of helmet over the regular full face....thanks

#17 ·
We've been using modular for a few years. It's my primary helmet. We wear glasses to ride and the FF was always a conflict. To remove the helmet, first remove glasses. To talk to someone during a break in riding, remove the helmet. To walk into a store, remove the helmet. You get the idea. With the mod, the flip up chin bar allows open face like use. Even while riding. Some riders suggest the mod is less safe due to the flip chin bar in terms of frontal impact, but IMHO, the new technology should be as safe as any helmet. Better than an open face in that scenario. With the mod, you can raise the shield, raise the chin bar, ride FF with the chin bar down and then raise it with one hand motion and allow cool air to enter your helmet when necessary. There's also an option with a roll down tint shield.

#18 ·
I have a full face, modular, and half. The modular has become my favorite. Like rvcycleguy said, the ability to get the helmet out of your face without taking it off is priceless. My half helmet is only for short runs, I don't really like all of the wind in my face. The full face is comfortable, but it gets annoying trying to talk through it at a light or having to take it off to gas up.

The modular may not be quite as safe as the full face, but IMHO the convenience is so great that it outweighs any minor degradation of safety.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#19 ·
Any suggestions on brands/models? I have a full face Shoei Qwest that I love and think that Shoei and Arai are good brands, but am open to others

#20 · (Edited)
I've said this before... Get the best you can afford. As the dealer has most samples on hand, that's where I go to fit a few brands on my head. Not all will fit the same. Round head, oval head shapes, etc. The more it costs, generally that will translate into less weight. A FF or Mod heavy helmet will weigh on your head, shoulders, and fatigue may set in. Something I found out about my helmet was size. Felt right at the dealer walking around the store. My modular was good but after a couple of hours, I couldn't get it off fast enough, it was painful. I realized the inner fit was too small and I ordered the next size up inner headliner and cheek pieces. What a dramatic difference that made. I can go all day now. That ability to change inerds was possible. Not all do that. I learned that SM and Med are same size shell. Large and Ex Lrg is same shell. It's the cheek pads and headliner that are different. Allowed me to fix my helmet size without buying a new one. I don't recommend brands unless your asking me about tires...lol.

#21 ·
I did go to the Cycle Gear store yesterday and try on the new Bilt modular helmet with the Bluetooth built in. First of all, I do like the modular concept and flipping up the helmet is easy and I can see the benefits. The pop down sun shield inside the helmet is good too....no more stopping and changing from tinted to clear face shields would be good not to mention not having to carry an extra shield at all times in the saddle bag. Regarding the built in bluetooth - it works really well easy to pair to my I-phone and the sound in the store is really good with the microphone easy to move around and not a problem at all. I don't know how it will sound at 60mph and I don't know how the wind noise will be, but I am thinking about pulling the trigger on it today - at $199 on sale it's not that much more than the Sena or Scala units and I get a new modular helmet as an extra. The high visibility yellow color is good too - matches my hi-viz yellow summer mesh jacket and I will stand out for sure. My only slight concern is that the Bilt is only DOT certified while my full face Shoei is DOT and Snell certified.

Reactions: Two Red Ryders
#22 ·
The Bilt modular weighs in at 3.812 lbs while my Shoei is 3.644 lbs. Does not seem like a huge difference

Reactions: Two Red Ryders
#23 ·
I'd be curious about the wind noise also.

I wear a modular Fulmer and had to put pad under the top air vent as it rattled when open and was driving me nuts. It's heavier than some of the others for what I understand but not any heavier than my welding hood attached to a my hard hat ;)

I also have an open face but only wear it when I have a passenger. I give them the modular as it has more "bug" protection for their face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.