Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone find the "biker wave " bothersome . I know when I am out for a scoot waving to other bikes is OK , for a while , but after waving to a hundred bikes on an all day ride kind of gets in the way of enjoying the ride . I understand the meaning of it , but sometimes I just want to ride . If you dont wave back it seems other riders seem to get pissed off . I'm not trying to be ignorant I just get tired of it sometimes .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
To me it just apart of the ride. It shows that I have a common bond with other riders who wave. I guess the bottom line here is it's your choice on whether you wave or not. I do not think it is a big deal if you don't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
It really annoys me at work when I pass someone I know in the hall and they won't even look up at me or return a little "hi" first thing in the morning. I think that's why I'm always amazed that there are so many bikers out there that will wave to total strangers. Personally, I wave to anyone. I remember the charge I used to get as a dorky teen riding around on my KZ200 and having "real bikers" give me the wave.

Rich
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
buckethead said:
It really annoys me at work when I pass someone I know in the hall and they won't even look up at me or return a little "hi" first thing in the morning. I think that's why I'm always amazed that there are so many bikers out there that will wave to total strangers. Personally, I wave to anyone. I remember the charge I used to get as a dorky teen riding around on my KZ200 and having "real bikers" give me the wave.

Rich
+1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,651 Posts
I personally enjoy the wave, I wave when I can & nod when I can't. I don't take it as an insult if someone doesn't wave.
It reminds me of a simplar times. As a kid I lived in a small town in the country. Everyone waved in passing (2 cars) saying "howdy"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
I enjoy the wave, but I know what you mean about doing it 100 times a day. Usually if I am "waved out" I'll make eye contact and nod to acknowledge them. I know there are a lot of riders who don't wave at all, or who will only wave to folks who ride the same brand, or style of bike as they do, so I don't ever get bent if somebody doesn't wave back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
It is annoying!!! Very seldom for me to wave, I just look in the other direction.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,535 Posts
I know what you mean, especially if you pass a group ride with 25-50 bikes that are stretched out for a good piece. But I wave everytime unless I'm in a sharp curve or the situation seems less than safe, then I give 'em the old head nod. I loved when my daughter road with me, she took care of all the waves for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,571 Posts
Wish I could get something like a waving hand on a spring that clamped to the handlebar....or maybe like a hand that suction cups to the top of the hemlet.

Maybe like a bright safety yellow color that everyone can see.

Hmmm could be a new biker accessory just waiting to be invented :idea:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,754 Posts
JimKo said:
Wish I could get something like a waving hand on a spring that clamped to the handlebar....or maybe like a hand that suction cups to the top of the hemlet.

Maybe like a bright safety yellow color that everyone can see.

Hmmm could be a new biker accessory just waiting to be invented :idea:
Too late, the Gold Wings already have that option I'm sure! :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,174 Posts
Shadow Kat said:
I personally enjoy the wave, I wave when I can & nod when I can't. I don't take it as an insult if someone doesn't wave.
It reminds me of a simplar times. As a kid I lived in a small town in the country. Everyone waved in passing (2 cars) saying "howdy"
+1

I cant imagine riding without the wave....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,571 Posts
It's really hard to wave or even nod at times around here in traffic...

Waving on the road on joyrides is one thing, but dealing with it while riding thru 7 lanes of aggressive traffic is just asking for something nasty to happen.

I've always wondered how many bikers new or not go down because of a wave?

Wasn't that crash down in the South Bay caused by a wave from a biker to kids in a car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,352 Posts
jdn40 said:
does anyone find the "biker wave " bothersome . I know when I am out for a scoot waving to other bikes is OK , for a while , but after waving to a hundred bikes on an all day ride kind of gets in the way of enjoying the ride . I understand the meaning of it , but sometimes I just want to ride . If you dont wave back it seems other riders seem to get pissed off . I'm not trying to be ignorant I just get tired of it sometimes .
Hoe do you know they're pissed.............................I mean you passed them and they're gone? 8) :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
About 10 years ago I was into moutian bikes and a few of us would ride
and once ina while we would get the "wave" from folks on bikes



I guess its all about two wheels no roof and the wind..............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,499 Posts
Our bikes have two handgrips and we have only two hands. My wife did it once while in Arkansas and almost went of the side. Sorry, we'll nod when riding and wave when walking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,099 Posts
I look at the biker wave as a form of karma. You never know when you might be stranded or in some other trouble and need someone's help. A stranger stops to help you, and all those waves you've done are repaid. What goes around comes around. Just don't wave when it isn't safe or you don't have a free hand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,937 Posts
cactusjack said:
I look at the biker wave as a form of karma. You never know when you might be stranded or in some other trouble and need someone's help. A stranger stops to help you, and all those waves you've done are repaid. What goes around comes around. Just don't wave when it isn't safe or you don't have a free hand.
+1

I wave at everyone. Kids, dogs, old men on porches - you name it.

But only if I can do so safely.

It's just part of the ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Lately it seems that in my area less and less bikers are waving at all. They all must be getting "waved out". I like to wave.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,012 Posts
cactusjack said:
I look at the biker wave as a form of karma. You never know when you might be stranded or in some other trouble and need someone's help. A stranger stops to help you, and all those waves you've done are repaid. What goes around comes around. Just don't wave when it isn't safe or you don't have a free hand.
Watch the road - foget the waving. All the help will still be there to give or receive.
 
1 - 20 of 105 Posts
Top