Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok have a 2008 C50 and rode it thru out the day. Everything fine. Get to my last stop, stayed inside for about 1.5 and then went out to leave a the bike won't start. Tail lights come on but nothing else. Tried jumping it and would not start. Tried looking at fuses and all were good. Any ideas?

·
Registered
758 Posts
A couple things come to mind, what position is your kill switch in on your right handle bar? I usually put my helmet over that mirror when I take it off and on more than one occasion the kill switch has been bumped while doing it, the first time it happened I was scratching my head for a while trying to figure out what was going on.
Second, are you trying to start it while in gear with the kick stand down? There are safety switches that will not let that happen.
If it’s not those issues then I’m at a loss.

Also, welcome from Ontario Canada.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

What happens when you try to start it?
The only thing that comes on is the tail lights. The front does not light up or the fuel injection does not turn over.
A couple things come to mind, what position is your kill switch in on your right handle bar? I usually put my helmet over that mirror when I take it off and on more than one occasion the kill switch has been bumped while doing it, the first time it happened I was scratching my head for a while trying to figure out what was going on.
Second, are you trying to start it while in gear with the kick stand down? There are safety switches that will not let that happen.
If it’s not those issues then I’m at a loss.

Also, welcome from Ontario Canada.
I did check the kill switch and it is on. I can not even get it to start. The headlight does not come on but the rear does. The fuel injection does not even turn over.

·
Registered
20,762 Posts
Are you turning the key in the right direction? There is a "parking light" position on the key switch, which would illuminate the lights, but the engine will not run.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

What happens when you try to start it?
Are you turning the key in the right direction? There is a "parking light" position on the key switch, which would illuminate the lights, but the engine will not run.
Yes I have made sure that they key is in the ON position. But even with the key in the right position, the front lights does not work, instrument panel does not work and the fuel injection does not kick in.

·
Super Moderator
30,910 Posts
That sounds like a wiring issue to me. Possibly the ignition switch itself. Sorry, I'm not familiar enough with the electrical to be of much help. Hopefully someone has some good ideas for you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
This sounds like an ignition switch going bad. The tail light is on a seperate circuit in the switch. try working the switch several times and jiggling the key.
You are probably getting power to the switch or the tail light wouldn't turn on. these switches are known problem areas. there was a stickie on troubleshooting it. Try searching the site for it.

George

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Welcome to the site from Oklahoma. I take electrical problems strait to the shop. Do not pass go. And spend several hundred dollars. ;)

Reactions: Bigdozs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This sounds like an ignition switch going bad. The tail light is on a seperate circuit in the switch. try working the switch several times and jiggling the key.
You are probably getting power to the switch or the tail light wouldn't turn on. these switches are known problem areas. there was a stickie on troubleshooting it. Try searching the site for it.

George
Ok I will do that. I may also try and take it apart and see what all I can really see what is going on. Plus I need to do that anyway if I need to order a new one. Any suggestions on where to get a good one with out hurting your wallet?

·
Registered
758 Posts
I’ve had good luck with motorcycle salvage yards in the past.
When I bought my 2006 C50 in the spring of 2020 in was searching for the “Boulevard” passenger back rest and mounting brackets and the one I found at a salvage yard was in very good condition.
You may want to consider getting the gas cap and helmet lock as well so that you can keep them all keyed the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’ve had good luck with motorcycle salvage yards in the past.
When I bought my 2006 C50 in the spring of 2020 in was searching for the “Boulevard” passenger back rest and mounting brackets and the one I found at a salvage yard was in very good condition.
You may want to consider getting the gas cap and helmet lock as well so that you can keep them all keyed the same.
I did notice that when I was looking at new ignition switches that some of them were coming with a new gas cap but what I am wondering is will it fit or not. But I will also see if there is a salvage yard around here for bikes.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I don’t know if it will fit or not and I’m sure someone here will have that answer for you. If the cap doesn’t fit you can probably take it apart and switch out the lock cylinders.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts