Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just joined up, happy to be here. So here's my problem, I got my bike (2004 Suzuki VL800) a few months ago and have been loving it, no problems whatsoever. I road last Thursday, parked it and when i tried to start it on Sunday it wouldn't fire. I tried jumping it from another bike, same result. So there's lots of juice in the battery. I removed the plugs and cleaned them, checked the gap and they seemed good.I was also getting spark off the plug. When i put her back together and tried to start it, it caught for about three seconds then died again. I haven't been able to get it to go again since. Seems to be a few delivery problem but i don't know to much about the engine, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I live in Ontario, Canada so I'm running out of good riding time fast :cry:

·
Registered
21,178 Posts
I suspect a vacuum leak. The fuel flow is controlled by engine vacuum. The hoses are supposed to be replaced every 4 years. You're riding a 10 year old bike and I doubt that service was ever done..

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i can verify that what skrap says is true. when the vac line to the petc0ck has a crack the bike will not start

·
Super Moderator
33,468 Posts
What does it do when you try to start it? Does the starter engage? Do lights dim? Posting a video on YouTube of you trying to start it and then linking it here would be extremely helpful in figuring out the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, I replaced the hoses and still nothing. I opened the top of the carb and cranked it, there's gas entering. I figured maybe the gas was bad so I drained the tank and replaced it, still not catching. The battery is reading 12.5 - 12.7, I'm stumped :(

·
Registered
670 Posts
Turn your idle knob up. See if that does anything for starting it. If not, turn it back to where it was.

·
Registered
16 Posts
HI and welcome, does the engine turns? i woould check the obvious first, wire connections, fuses, then check if the fuel pump is working.
My bike would not start, and after going thru everything finally i found out it was the cable that connects to the cluth on the left handle, was loose.
Good luck.

·
Registered
670 Posts
My only other suggestion would be your coils.... And those are kinda costly. No spark = no turnover. Do you smell a lot of gas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I'm getting spark and fuel, what am I missing? The battery reads 12.6 standing but while cranking is 10.9, is this normal?

Ps. I haven't touched the carb so it shouldn't suddenly be running lean or rich....

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
10.9 while cranking is bad, try a new battery

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.