Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out today and my shifter won't shift. The bike was in the garage in neutral, and I can get it into first, but then the shifter stays down. I can put it into second, but then the shifter stays up. It never springs back to the middle position so you can shift again. Under other circumstances, I would assume that I need a new clutch, but my "new" clutch that I had installed "professionally" at the dealer only has 1800 miles on it. Anyone have any suggestions? Or do I just need to suck it up and put in yet another new clutch and try to beat some money out of the dealer for putting in a shitty clutch? I checked the oil, and it was in the lower end of normal, but still within the limits. Any help would be greatly appreciated and rewarded with beer! That oughtta get a few replies out of everyone!

·
Registered
8,361 Posts
Try squirting some WD40 or similar stuff around the shifter shaft. Folks have had trouble with no lube on the shifter shaft causing this problem.

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
I don't think the clutch would prevent the shifter from returning to position. That sounds like a problem with the shifting lever/mechanism itself.

·
Premium Member
23,762 Posts
Spraying the shaft should it it. I had the same thing happen to me last year...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I just had this problem not too long ago.

I could go down into 1st fine, but up into 2nd made the shifter move up higher than normal then I could not catch anything above 2nd.

I sprayed WD-40 on it, all around where the joint of the shifter is down by the peg, then I took it into the shop.

They stated it may be a combo of a loose clutch cable, and a little icing up in the cable as well.

He said to let it idle longer then I normally do. Works perfectly now.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'm an idiot. I don't know why, but whenever it comes to a problem with my bike, I always start looking for some intricate detail that's wrong with it. If it was anything else around the house that was sticking, my first inkling would be to spray some WD-40 on it and see what happens. So lo and behold...it worked. Thanks for the help everybody. If you're ever taking a trip that passes through central Illinois by Champaign (Interstates 57, 74, or 72) look me up for some free beer. :D

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
and now

DONT EVER PARK THE BIKE IN NEUTRAL AGAIN!!
always park it in gear!!!! If they roll they fall.. In gear it wont roll...

:)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know, I know. :oops: Sometimes I park it in the garage and then let it run while I go get the mail or take out the trash just because I like hearing those Cobra Drags from 50 feet away. :lol: I gotta remember to put it back in 1st when I get back into the garage.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Yep, and pray it doesn't vibrate enough to fall over while you're gettin the mail or then you can pick it up, put it in gear and shut it off........

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
Lukai said:
I know, I know. :oops: Sometimes I park it in the garage and then let it run while I go get the mail or take out the trash just because I like hearing those Cobra Drags from 50 feet away. :lol: I gotta remember to put it back in 1st when I get back into the garage.
If you are going to do that, you best be sure to do the kickstand mod if you haven't already!

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Lukai said:
If you're ever taking a trip that passes through central Illinois by Champaign (Interstates 57, 74, or 72) look me up for some free beer. :D
Next time I go to Belvidere I just might.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure, stop on by. I actually went to school in Genoa, just south of Belvidere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got a 95 intruder 1400 that's doing the same . I like it because my dad had one before he died, he rode me on the gas tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I dont have a clue as to how much it could possibly cost but it will shift into 1st and neutral but not 2,3,and 4 anyone got a clue.........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts