Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. Not new as visited the forum many times as a visitor over the years but now having an issue and need help please. Just been away on my beloved Volusia for a week round Cornwall in the UK and on my return (on the motorway) I lost all power as if it had slipped into neutral...but hadn't. I got across to the hard shoulder safely (luckily!) and although I can change gear, the bike doesn't move at all when I let out the clutch. I've read a lot about the driveshaft and poorly lubed spines and wonder if this is the same issue? Any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
21,278 Posts
Most likely the drive shaft is stripped.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I thought based on previous forum posts. I'll get the mechanic to check that first. Am not even sure the part is still available... Although lots of used ones in the US of A with phenomenal postage 😳

·
Registered
21,278 Posts
It will be cheaper to get a used drive off of ebay, than to order the parts.

Reactions: grubbie

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers, I would certainly like to hear the views of other as I am not mechanical minded, but the clutch does allow me to change into different gears without any issue. If it was the clutch, would I still be able to do this?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I plan to get my bike onto lift today and strip it down following the YouTube guidance from Maraggie which seem to be decent. Hopefully I can strip and remove the final drive enough to examine it. I have seen a few for sale on eBay in the US (none in the UK unfortunately so I'll incur import taxes) so will order one of those if it's the drive. I see the Honda Moly grease is recommended, is this available in the UK?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Maraggie is on the uk site with me.
He is a good guy.
Google genuine honda moly paste assembly
60/M-77 grease. 75g 2.65oz - 08798-9010
On Ebay. It's the thick end of £30 though.
Me and my mate aint that fussy, we blagged a blob off the mechanics at the bus depot.
If it's good enough for those big buses and that strain, it's good enough for our little tiddlers.
All good so far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys, I have finally stripped down my bike including removing way more parts than I probably needed. I have pulled out the driveshaft and frustratingly the spines look like new and when I spin the shaft, it turns the final drive cog. So maybe my complete lack of drive isn't the final drive/driveshaft? Any ideas anyone? Could it be the clutch, despite it appearing to change gears, even if the bike has no drive?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hey guys, I have finally stripped down my bike including removing way more parts than I probably needed. I have pulled out the driveshaft and frustratingly the spines look like new and when I spin the shaft, it turns the final drive cog. So maybe my complete lack of drive isn't the final drive/driveshaft? Any ideas anyone? Could it be the clutch, despite it appearing to change gears, even if the bike has no drive?
My post # 6......

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers Davidc83 I was sure it would be the drive, bit obviously isn't. Am now looking at finding out more about the clutch as per your recommendation. I am a complete novice so takes me a while to research and then pluck up the courage to progress

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update folks. As I had the bike stripped down, I have spent a while cleaning and lubing everything, including all the out of site areas as well as dealing with the rusty areas. I've now moved onto the clutch and on taking it apart, the oil stunk of burn and several of the friction plates are fully worn. My question is 'the steel plates are black but when wiped, they are almost as new, no wear or warping at all so can they be reused? As I struggled to get the Barnett kit here in the UK (as most places only sell the friction plates and springs) I have ordered EDC friction plates and springs as well as a new gasket, new oil and a k&n filter. Hopefully my bike will be good as new soon but if anyone has any advice re the steel plates, please let me know.

·
Registered
2009 Boulevard C50 vl800, 80 cx500 custom very custom
7 Posts
MrCycles.com probably has the shaft if you need it. Also check the coupler for wear. Good chance it's shot too if the shaft is stripped.

I just ordered my parts today to fix my shaft.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Update folks. As I had the bike stripped down, I have spent a while cleaning and lubing everything, including all the out of site areas as well as dealing with the rusty areas. I've now moved onto the clutch and on taking it apart, the oil stunk of burn and several of the friction plates are fully worn. My question is 'the steel plates are black but when wiped, they are almost as new, no wear or warping at all so can they be reused? As I struggled to get the Barnett kit here in the UK (as most places only sell the friction plates and springs) I have ordered EDC friction plates and springs as well as a new gasket, new oil and a k&n filter. Hopefully my bike will be good as new soon but if anyone has any advice re the steel plates, please let me know.
clean em up with some steel wool and brake clean...as long as they aren't warped they're fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts