Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried installing a air horn on 2011 c50. I’m guessing the compressor wasn’t working properly as it wasn’t the proper sound. So I held horn button for 5 seconds, and then lost power. Only thing on is headlight when I turn the key. I’ve checked main fuse and the fuses on the side panel and no blown fuses. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Ty

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Did you install a relay???
If not, you burned up some wiring.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Air horns draw a lot more power than a regular horn.
You need to install a relay with a much heavier supply of power to the airhorn.
In simpler terms, you tried to draw an elephant full of power through a couple of wimpy wires.
Something somewhere is roasted.
I've never done this, so I don't know where to look, but I'd guess you need to trace those horn wires backwards to their source.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Air horns draw a lot more power than a regular horn.
You need to install a relay with a much heavier supply of power to the airhorn.
In simpler terms, you tried to draw an elephant full of power through a couple of wimpy wires.
Something somewhere is roasted.
I've never done this, so I don't know where to look, but I'd guess you need to trace those horn wires backwards to their source.
So I found a wire in headlight that had melted to another wire. Split them apart, taped them up to test and also noticed a signal fuse blown. Changed fuse bike is running. Going to splice in new wires to replace the melted on but so far as of now it’s running. Thanks again for your help and the horns aren’t going on.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Yay!
Glad I could help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts