Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
I ride my bike so I don't have to hear her. :D

Just kidding but I figured that I would be the first to say it.

I don't have any experience with this model but if it's for front seat back seat travel I would highly recommend a wired model, much better reception.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol gunfreak, I already told her this but it didn't go over too well.

This is for bike to bike, not rider/passenger.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I'm looking at the one from Blue Ant (interphone) because it doesn't require cell phones to go bike to bike.
The one you are looking at appears to be generation 2 which requires cell phones to go bike to bike. Here's a couple articles on the brand you are looking at and also the Interphone one.

The interphone ones are a little over 200 bux for 2 on ebay.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/motorcycle-bluetooth-intercom-review.htm

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/bluetooth-intercom.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-BL...004QQitemZ140225652851QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Bl...010QQitemZ200216945231QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
danimal said:
Anyone have any experience or opinion on these:

http://www.cardowireless.com/US/Q2

I found a vendor who has them 2 for 325 with free shipping. We're looking for something for our multi day trip over the summer.
I just had a pair of those delived to my door. I should be able to check them out on Saturday. It rained yesterday and today. I let you know how the worked.

SmokinMr2 said:
I'm looking at the one from Blue Ant (interphone) because it doesn't require cell phones to go bike to bike.
The one you are looking at appears to be generation 2 which requires cell phones to go bike to bike. Here's a couple articles on the brand you are looking at and also the Interphone one.
They don't require a cell phone for bike to bike, but they will let you take a call while riding. They also have a built in FM radio that sounded pretty good in my living room. I'll test on the rode tomorrow.

You have a lot of options with the SCALA RIDER Q2. I plan to use it just for the radio on my daily commute. You can also sync to a second set in a Primary/Secondary mode.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I guess I should have said " the review said requires cell phones to go bike to bike"...
I haven't tested either unit. Let us know how it turns out ;)

From that review:
A "Gen 2" system could be classified as something like the original Cardo Scala Rider system, which uses a Bluetooth intercom connected to a cell phone to allow communicating. Make that two Bluetooth intercoms connected to two cell phones; to communicate, the rider and passenger must use one cell phone to call the other and the cell phone conversations connect through the Bluetooth intercom. I'm not sure if the original Scala Rider system still uses that technology, but as far as I'm concerned, the system is a technological dead-end.

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
SmokinMr2 said:
I guess I should have said " the review said requires cell phones to go bike to bike"...

From that review:
A "Gen 2" system could be classified as something like the original Cardo Scala Rider system, which uses a Bluetooth intercom connected to a cell phone to allow communicating. Make that two Bluetooth intercoms connected to two cell phones; to communicate, the rider and passenger must use one cell phone to call the other and the cell phone conversations connect through the Bluetooth intercom. I'm not sure if the original Scala Rider system still uses that technology, but as far as I'm concerned, the system is a technological dead-end.
Next paragraph says:
Which brings us to the "Gen 3" system shown here -- a truly wireless Bluetooth only system that does not require any other type of intermediary device like a cell phone or multiplexer for rider-to-passenger communications.

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
I've got a BlueAnt unit, but only one. I haven't tried it for bike-to-bike coms but it works well for receiveing calls up to about 65 MPH. It may be my phone, a Razor, but it does have trouble with voice dialing calls at any speed, especially lower speeds with no background noise. I can say 'Redial' and get it to call my last number dialed fairly easily so when I go on trips I just dial my wife before I leave so I can always call her if needed.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have used the chatterbox stuff for years. They do work as advertised, although in snowmobiling the batteries don't last as long.

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Me and a friend have had the Cardo Scala Rider Q2 for a few weeks. We used them on a 450 mile ride a couple weekends ago, it works well most of the time... it's worth every penny!

bike-to-bike: No cell phone required, it's a bluetooth connection. clear and loud communications, up to maybe 1/8 mile apart at 75mph, when further the sound quality started to crackle a bit. With the face shield popped up at 75mph without a windshield I could hear static but still readable.

bike-to-rear passenger: not tested but I'm sure it's as good as or better than bike-to-bike since you're so close.

bike-to-cell phone: My Palm Centro cell phone connects every time I answer or make a call, overrides bike-to-bike or FM radio, then returns to prior application when you end the call. My friend's Treo 650 did drop the connection at times.

bike-to-GPS: I have a Tomtom One GPS with bluetooth on the handlebar, all instructions are clear and loud, overrides all other applications I think.

built-in FM radio: This feature was iffy, reception was spotty at best even in Chicago, probably because there's no real antenna. Volume controls double as station presets and tuning, kinda hard to feel the smaller buttons on the back of the unit with winter gloves.

battery life: We constantly used the units for 10 hours talking and answering phone calls during the ride each day (phone in tank bag or Ram Mount) and charged the units overnight, battery did not deplete, very nice.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
CzarOfKatmandu said:
SmokinMr2 said:

From that review:
Next paragraph says:
Which brings us to the "Gen 3" system shown here -- a truly wireless Bluetooth only system that does not require any other type of intermediary device like a cell phone or multiplexer for rider-to-passenger communications.
I'll agree with you in that it states they make a gen 3 version that "does it all".
The version in question in the original post according to the link provided was for a gen 2 ;)

Either way if it does what the buyer want's that's great. I'm still using a freekin motorola radio so what the heck do I know...

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually I think the link I provided for the Q2 is what people are referring to as the gen 3. No phone required.

·
Banned
12,353 Posts
just got mine (a pair of q2s) a couple weeks ago, but unfortunately haven't had the cooperation i need to test it out like jet did. :evil:

only thing i can say is he's right about the radio: iffy at best. even in the middle of dallas.

in the living room it synched up first try, but i don't really want to use if for taking phone calls on the bike, so haven't tried that.

i've heard of folks contacting cardo and sending the units back to them for 'tweaking' so that may be an option on the radio. it's practically useless the way it is. you can still synch with an mp3 or xm if you have one that's bluetooth, or stick a bluetooth dongle on one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would have to say, I researched these all ove the web trying to figure out which to purchase. It was between the Q2 and the Blueant Interphone.

Both seemed to be similar offerings for Phone and intercom features other than the following:

The Scala Rider Q2 could connect to 2 other headsets where the Interphone could only connect to one.

The Scala Rider Q2 had FM radio, but I have not heard a good review as of yet. Even those that used FM modulators on their iPods or XM radios were having issued tuning them.

So, for the dollar difference, I purchased two BlueAnt Interphones. I got two units with two mounting kits for $200 shipped. I spent an additional $14.99 + $5 to ship out the flat microphone for my full face helmet. This also allowed me to leave the other stem-microphone attached to my half helmet when riding my girlfriends Volusuia.

So this past week I was riding with this unit connected to my RazR through bluetooth. My girlfriend rings me and I tap the side of the helmet to answer. (I had not setup the voice answer yet) Sound was great and she could understand me perfectly. Minimal engine noise or wind noise in my full face helmet. (I ride a Buell XB12s with factory race kit, it's loud, don't hate me)

Last Saturday, I installed her Interphone in her half helmet to test out the bike to bike communication. I tell you what, there is nothing more calming for a second year beginner to have a voice talking her through traffic and not have to have them on as a passenger!! She loved the fact that we could warn each other of sand in intersections, upcoming traffic, idiot drivers etc. Comm was awesome! Distance was amazing!

She could hear me just fine since I had a full face helmet. Above 40mph there was a bit of whistling until I dropped my shield, then perfect. I got a bit of wind noise off hers since she has a half helmet, but a full windshield on her Volusia. It was very easy to hear either way.

Above 60mph on the Interstate, it was a bit more difficult to hear her. It would have been easy if she had worn a full face helmet. I think we may play with microphone position. We did kick them up to the "high-volume" setting and that helped.

All in all, if you want bike to bike communication, these are the shizzle! We will report back once we get some long rides on the highway. Battery life is the one thing that others said was lacking. B2B burns battery quite a bit faster than Bluetooth.

Good luck. PM me if you have questions, or send an email.

Mark Lawson
Buell XB12s
Fargo, ND

·
Banned
12,353 Posts
good write-up, mark! i'm done shopping for a while, but still like to keep up.

not trying to debate which is best, just want to double check details since we seem to have a good comparison going...

the blue ant is one speaker, correct? q2 is stereo. (one of the reasons i didn't go blue ant a year ago.)

also, on b2b, q2 makes use of bluetooth, so i would assume better battery life as you mentioned.

·
Registered
99,999 Posts
biff202 said:
I would have to say, I researched these all ove the web trying to figure out which to purchase. It was between the Q2 and the Blueant Interphone.

Both seemed to be similar offerings for Phone and intercom features other than the following:

The Scala Rider Q2 could connect to 2 other headsets where the Interphone could only connect to one.

The Scala Rider Q2 had FM radio, but I have not heard a good review as of yet. Even those that used FM modulators on their iPods or XM radios were having issued tuning them.

So, for the dollar difference, I purchased two BlueAnt Interphones. I got two units with two mounting kits for $200 shipped. I spent an additional $14.99 + $5 to ship out the flat microphone for my full face helmet. This also allowed me to leave the other stem-microphone attached to my half helmet when riding my girlfriends Volusuia.

So this past week I was riding with this unit connected to my RazR through bluetooth. My girlfriend rings me and I tap the side of the helmet to answer. (I had not setup the voice answer yet) Sound was great and she could understand me perfectly. Minimal engine noise or wind noise in my full face helmet. (I ride a Buell XB12s with factory race kit, it's loud, don't hate me)

Last Saturday, I installed her Interphone in her half helmet to test out the bike to bike communication. I tell you what, there is nothing more calming for a second year beginner to have a voice talking her through traffic and not have to have them on as a passenger!! She loved the fact that we could warn each other of sand in intersections, upcoming traffic, idiot drivers etc. Comm was awesome! Distance was amazing!

She could hear me just fine since I had a full face helmet. Above 40mph there was a bit of whistling until I dropped my shield, then perfect. I got a bit of wind noise off hers since she has a half helmet, but a full windshield on her Volusia. It was very easy to hear either way.

Above 60mph on the Interstate, it was a bit more difficult to hear her. It would have been easy if she had worn a full face helmet. I think we may play with microphone position. We did kick them up to the "high-volume" setting and that helped.

All in all, if you want bike to bike communication, these are the shizzle! We will report back once we get some long rides on the highway. Battery life is the one thing that others said was lacking. B2B burns battery quite a bit faster than Bluetooth.

Good luck. PM me if you have questions, or send an email.

Mark Lawson
Buell XB12s
Fargo, ND
WELCOME, new member.

Pete

1 - 20 of 37 Posts