Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new here, but a long time rider. I'm 56, and married with a kid in college. Which is the reason for my post! I just sold my Harley ElectraGlide :crying: to pay for my "little girl's" college tuition. I'm looking at a C50 or C50T to replace it with. Seems like a very nice motorcycle, and I really like the red and white color combo on the C50T. Think I'll be OK with this bike after the ElectraGlide? Truthfully, I don't ride much over a 150 mile radius anymore, but MAYBE a trip of 500 miles or so. Anyway, nice to be here, and I look forward to your input. :D

·
Administrator
53,876 Posts
Welcome to the VR board!

Good all around bike (C50), and there's many optional modifications available to personalize the machine.

One of the best mods available for the C50/VL800, is the DJ Mod (C90 rear drive) conversion. Also, the Stebel Nautilus air horn is another favored mod, along with all the usual saddlebags, windshields, etc.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does Suzuki offer "rides" on their bikes like HD does? It'd be great to ride one before I bought one, ya know? How is it on the interstate? One thing I'm gonna miss is cruising down the interstate on my ElectraGlide at about 70. I had that motorcycle for 8 years and I'm gonna miss it, but my family comes first! Needed the money for school so that's the most important thing. Bikes are bikes, but this was my DAUGHTER, so the choice, although hard to do, was easy to make.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Welcome. You may like the c50. I have rode the ultra before and truely find my vl800 a better handling bike. Pending ur build and whether u ride 2 up often would be ur best way to guage which bike is best for u. Either way, stay here with us. We really dont care what you ride.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome guys! I really don't ride two-up very much at all. The wife used to ride all the time but now she getting older (hope she doesn't read this) and won't ride more than a few miles. So I'll be solo 90% of the time. I'm 6'...about 230 lbs........is this too big for an 800cc bike? Well, again, thanks for the info.....I'm off to the "salt mine"! :D

·
Administrator
53,876 Posts
The only time that I was offered a ride on a Suzuki, was on the (dealer) owner's M109.

The C50 handles the interstate OK in stock form, but after adding the C90 rear drive, the machine is transformed into a first class cruiser.

Hang in here for a while, and You may be able to link up with a local VR member, and physically examine his ride.

BTW: C90 (1500 cc) machines sometimes can be bought new (last years model) for as low as $8500. It's like the C50, but on steroids. :wink:

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Welcome from central florida.

From what you say your driving will be ; the C50 is a decent choice.If you get the DJ drice mod It will be a even better. The bike gets "buzzy" at 75 and up" and the mod drops the rpm and give 14% taller gears and save a a fw mpg.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Psyc0 said:
............BTW: C90 (1500 cc) machines sometimes can be bought new (last years model) for as low as $8500. It's like the C50, but on steroids. :wink:
and the C109R took an overdose! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
I've found around here that the Metric dealers are more than willing to allow test rides!

You should be very happy with a C50. Just find a dealer that will allow test rides before you buy. Even if you have to travel a bit to do it.

I had a Vol for about 18 months, and there wasn't anything I wanted to do that it couldn't. Go wth the C50T to save yourself from getting the stuff seperately! Unless you want to mod! Some folks just prefer to get it all at once!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, I think the C50T is the way to go. I don't see much $$$ left for "mods" til I get some college bills paid off. :lol: What's this DJ mod? I'll check back tonite.

·
Administrator
53,876 Posts
diehard said:
Yea, I think the C50T is the way to go. I don't see much $$$ left for "mods" til I get some college bills paid off. :lol: What's this DJ mod? I'll check back tonite.
DJ Mod Link

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
As you can see below I will be in college hell one day. At one point I could have 3 in college at the same time.

I love the C50 and it is a nice ride... even for big guys! I'm 6'3" and about 275 and I have no problems with the bike at all.

The DJ Drive is the creation of one of our very own members (dhillis). He modified a C90 drive to replace the C50 drive. This drive reduces the rpm's on the bike giving you a much smoother ride and less vibration at high speeds. It will also increase your mpg. Everyone that has installed it has said it is hands down the best mod for the bike.

You can check out more info on the DJ drive here: Click Here for DJ Drive History

It's a lot to read through... but well worth it. As soon as you get your bike email dhillis and get on the waiting list. It takes several months so you'll want to be ready. I just received my invoice and I signed up back in February. I'm hoping to get mine ordered and installed soon!

Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
You mention 150 mile rides with the occassional 500 miles. What type of roads do you ride? Are they country roads, in town or super slab freeways. I installed the DJ Drive on my bike, but my rides are to and from work with weekend rides to nowhere. While the DJ Drive is great for freeway speeds, I am riding around town in 2nd and 3rd alot now, so my gas mileage is down some.

Just so no one gets their panties in a wad, I am not talking against the DJ Drive, just saying the biggest advantage of the higher gear ratio is on the super slab, not around town.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'm 6' 2" at 225 lbs. and my C50T is adequate for me, as far as size and power goes. The engine does appear to be working harder at 70+ MPH than your HD does, but this bike is made for higher RPM's than a HD is. That may take some getting used to at first. It may not feel like it has quite the overall power of an HD especially at higher highway speeds, being just an 805 CC engine as opposed to the bigger 1450 to 1600 cc's, but it still has plenty of pulling power to draw from when needed. And the engine will vibrate a good bit at the higher speeds, but you eventually get used to it.

Perhaps I can get the DJ mod someday. But for now, I am okay with it the way it is.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, lots of feedback! I've pretty much decided on the C50T in red and white! I have yet to have anyone say something negative about them. Now, how much can I expect to pay? Can I haggle over the price :?:

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
diehard said:
Wow, lots of feedback! I've pretty much decided on the C50T in red and white! I have yet to have anyone say something negative about them. Now, how much can I expect to pay? Can I haggle over the price :?:
Depends on the stealer and if your buying brand new. Another factor is that it is the riding season and so more people are interested in bikes ( gas prices help that too).

if you look at a left over 2007 then you may find dealing ok as the stealer prolly wants it gone and will be more willing to deal.

just my $0.02

·
Registered
99,999 Posts
WELCOME from Texas.

Pete

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Getting into haggle season. In some areas the 07 models can be had for around 6k+ OTD. Check around within a couple hundred mile radius. This will save enough to make the DJ drive an affordable first mod without cutting to deep into the daughter's textbook budget.

Cheers!

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Welcome to the site. The C50T is a great bike with plenty of power. Even though it is only a 800CC, it's relatively light, so it has pretty good get up and go.

Keep in mind it's a short stroke engine relative to the Eglide you had, so the RPMs are high on the highway. The bike buzzes along without issue.

The stock seat sux, so if you want to spend time in the saddle, invest in something better, like a Mustang. I preferred the 3 piece version.

Not sure if you are looking new or used. I'm figuring new since you want a red and white. You might be able to pick up a good used bike. Check places like Craig's list (www.craigslist.org). That's where I got mine and got a great deal on a virtually new bike.

Overall it is a pretty large bike, comfortable and nimble.

Good luck

1 - 20 of 49 Posts