Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping this post helps someone.
So I just bought a 2004 Volusia which the previous owner said ran great but he didn't tell me it runs like crap when hot. It starts right up with half choke and purrs like a lion and idles perfectly at 1,100 RPMs. It's awesome. It does this when cold but after it gets hot, around 40 minutes of riding, it starts to bog down and even stalls when accelerating from a standstill. I read posts that suggest the fuel delivery components but that didn't sound right for my specific symptoms. I had a very similar problem with a VW which I owned years ago. Different mechanics changed different things, all related to the fuel delivery system but they never resolved the problem. Then I thought sparks. So I replaced the coil pack and presto chango, problem solved. The old coil pack would expand when hot, opening up small cracks within itself which caused a short unseen by the naked eye. So I went and replacing the bike's 2 ignition coils and presto chango, running like a top! They are a little bit of a pain in the butt to change but do-able. OEM is about $90 each but they are on indefinite backorder from Suzuki or $22 for the par of aftermarket made in China on Amazon. I probably have to change them sooner then the OEM but I couldn't wait any longer. Again, I really hope this helps.
Happy and safe riding to everyone,
Rob

·
Super Moderator
26,440 Posts
Hey, thanks for sharing the solution. I'm sure it will definitely help someone eventually.

·
Super Moderator
26,440 Posts
Also, welcome from Kennesaw GA!

·
Super Moderator
26,440 Posts
Pre-order atleast one chink coil, so you have one at hand. They really are a hit or miss.
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

You guys keep sneaking past our guard monkey. He really is getting lazy now that he's retired.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts