Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left the city at 95f. 20 mins later at 70mph the bike dies. Pull to the shoulder still rolling, shut the ignition switch off and on and hit the starter and the bike fires back up. 15-20 mins later, same thing happens. Goes on 4-5 times within about 90 minutes. Stop for gas, bike fires up. Go to a park 5 mins away, stop for 10, bike dead. Gauges light, motor want to turn over but not enough to start the bike. Put on a pocket starter for 10-15 mins and the bike rode another 90+ mins with no problem. Next morning I fired it up, moved it out of the garage, shut it down, tried to start it right the end same issue. Hard time turning the engine, won't start. Is this a regulator, stator, or battery issue. Bought the bike (2009 c90t) last October with 14k on it. No idea of how old the battery is. Put close to 1800 miles on it with o issues until the trip out yesterday. Any ideas as to the issue?

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
put a multimeter on the battery leads. At rest, the battery should read between 12.2 and 12.7v. Start the bike. If the voltage drops below 9v, the battery is bad. Let the bike idle. If the voltage measures less than 14.2-14.4v with the engine running, you have a bad stator or rectifier.

Reactions: Whiskey and beezer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd say it's the battery. Did you charge it before riding it this year? What is the date code on the little sticker?
Battery date unknown. Will be looking at it later today. Battery leads and terminals were cleaned when battery installed for the season.
It’s not the first ride of the year. Bike has been ridden over 2800 miles before this started with no issues

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Left the city at 95f. 20 mins later at 70mph the bike dies. Pull to the shoulder still rolling, shut the ignition switch off and on and hit the starter and the bike fires back up. 15-20 mins later, same thing happens. Goes on 4-5 times within about 90 minutes. Stop for gas, bike fires up. Go to a park 5 mins away, stop for 10, bike dead. Gauges light, motor want to turn over but not enough to start the bike. Put on a pocket starter for 10-15 mins and the bike rode another 90+ mins with no problem. Next morning I fired it up, moved it out of the garage, shut it down, tried to start it right the end same issue. Hard time turning the engine, won't start. Is this a regulator, stator, or battery issue. Bought the bike (2009 c90t) last October with 14k on it. No idea of how old the battery is. Put close to 1800 miles on it with o issues until the trip out yesterday. Any ideas as to the issue?
Battery date unknown. Will be looking at it later today. Battery leads and terminals were cleaned when battery installed for the season.
It’s not the first ride of the year. Bike has been ridden over 2800 miles before this started with no issues

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
put a multimeter on the battery leads. At rest, the battery should read between 12.2 and 12.7v. Start the bike. If the voltage drops below 9v, the battery is bad. Let the bike idle. If the voltage measures less than 14.2-14.4v with the engine running, you have a bad stator or rectifier.
Will have to get a multimeter to test this out. Hopefully I can find a friend that has 1 I can use. Thx

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
No. If you press the starter and the voltage drops below 9v, you have a bad battery.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Might not be true for the C90 charging system. At idle, my '05 produces just under 12vdc; and I've done the recommended mods to the harness to eliminate the unnecessary plugs and shortened the wiring. At any RPM above idle, the bike does measure above 12vdc, but at best doesn't go over 13.8vdc. I've changed the stator and RR several times since 2012 and have yet to see 14vdc. Also, if the battery is reading under 10vdc while trying to start, it might not be enough for the ECU to function properly.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Have you check your kickstand springs? If they are weak or missing then it will cause the issue you are having or the kickstand switch could be failing.

·
Super Moderator
25,382 Posts
when my stators went on my 05 and 06 c90's they shut the bike down and was not able to start the mc's either time...had to get the mc's towed. Seeing how you were able to get the mc started again for quitie a few times, I wouldn't put my money on it being a stator issue.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Consider you might have a plugged or restricted gas cap. Tank needs to vent. Fuel can be starved if the vent is not working as it should.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts