Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I drive a Honda 1300 VTX Champion Trike. (Don't hold that against me please!) Measured up from floor of garage to center of FRONT axel, left side 12 1/4". Right side 12 5/8". That tell's me the tire is leaning to the left. How do I fix???​

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Measured to top of triple tree. Same result. Champion rake kit is square.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
It sounds like the bike itself might not be "upright". Have you measured other hard points? I would measure to the same points of the frame on both sides (ensuring that the frame is the same on both sides).

Something easy I just thought of, are your rear tires the same tire pressure and size?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Try jacking the rear end off the ground and see if that leads to something you can adjust or find a damaged part.

Spring loads on the shocks could be different.

·
Super Moderator
57,574 Posts
Sounds like you need to work on your forks. New springs and oil. 1 spring may be weak or is a mismatch with the other spring.

As usual I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Are you sure the front tire is perfectly straight? Having the bars turns slightly will also pivot the forks and give the result you have. I would check with whoever made the trike kit as well. Maybe they are aware of it and it is intentional or the same as stock VTX forks. 3/8 of an inch is a small enough amount that it could be as simple as loosening the triple tree clamp and sliding the left fork up a tad.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so what happened here. It's a real nail biter. I haven't slept a wink.
Been to busy riding new to me trike. I will post as soon as I fine out. I hate it when people ask for info with no follow up! Gotta pull the wheels and check the shock ajustsment and take some measurements. Just can't find a rainy, cold, miserable day here in Sunny SW Florida. Then there's the matter having a job to attend. :wayhappy:

·
Super Moderator
57,574 Posts
Darn work, I know what you mean. I'll be leaving here shortly myself. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't interfere at times with weekends too.

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
I drive a Honda 1300 VTX Champion Trike. (Don't hold that against me please!) Measured up from floor of garage to center of FRONT axel, left side 12 1/4". Right side 12 5/8". That tell's me the tire is leaning to the left. How do I fix???​

I worked in a filthy tire store in the past, but no trikes.
While I'm not ignoring you measurements, check easy stuff first.
Rear air pressure equal?
Rear brakes dragging?
Crown of the road?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, after a good part of the day with lasers, levels, measuring tapes, plumb bobs, dousing rods and pieces of string, I still know SQUAT about why the bike pulls right. Frame is level to the ground at all locations. I did find that when the bars are level the is no difference in the measurements to the axle. I guess it's off to the Trike Wrench. Trikies do mount rear tires on the front in reverse direction. (Don't ask). I'm gonna discuss that with the wrench.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I worked in a filthy tire store in the past, but no trikes.
While I'm not ignoring you measurements, check easy stuff first.
Rear air pressure equal?
Rear brakes dragging?
Crown of the road?

Now that you mention it a rear brake dragging on one side would no doubt produce the observed result.

However, I once had my car's suspension adjusted as part of the installation of new shocks, and when I next drove it pulled annoyingly to the right. I took it back and the mechanic said it's supposed to pull right for safety and explained if the driver falls asleep the car is designed to drive off the road rather than going into the opposite travel lane and crash in a head on collision. I told him I didn't like it the way he had set it up. The car had never pulled so hard to the right before. I had him readjust the steering suspension so it didn't noticeably pull to the right. When adjusted the way I wanted it just pulled ever so slightly to the right.

Apparently, if you fall asleep while driving you aren't supposed to take out an innocent driver in the opposite travel lane, Just supposed to take out telephone poles etc. ZZZss :brick:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
By the way, In the old days used car salesmen would change the inflation on a car that was pulling because of a bent frame etc too make the car not pull. In order to sell :moneyeyes: a junker. I use to check the tire pressure to make sure they were all equal on a used car lot. You can sometimes spot a really low tire pressure just by kicking the tires. Probably how come the phrase "Kicking the Tires" came about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts