Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I'm driving home today from work, and as I look ahead I say to myself, no please tell me I'm really not seeing what I think I'm seeing, and sure enough as he gets closer, it was a bike, some sort of sport bike, I looked at my car for outside temps it was -3........but that is not the worse part, the roads are complete snow and ice. the bad kind, black ice, light snow on top of that glassy stuff. this guy was nutz, even in my car I was going 15 mph to play it safe, I would sooner walk before I tried that. No matter how good a rider you are, you can't compensate for these conditions

·
Registered
8,198 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
Yep, that is nuts. Had a car pull out in front of me today and did a 360. It does not take much right now with all the ice on the road. Worse I have seen in years. Oh, Gary, it's going down tonight to -11 with 40 mph winds!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's kind of like a part of me wants to tip my hat to him saying dude, you are the extreme biker, 100% committed to all year riding, the rational part of me says, you are out of your mind LOL....another anology, remember that guy who walked across Niagra Falls on a tight rope, LOL you see a similarity here

Jen...speaking of what you said, my son was in the same situation last week, that monday after the blizzard, all of the sudden cars were spinning out of control in front of him, unfortunately he was not as lucky, he tried to avoid it, but ended in a head on collision, totalled his car, the air bag save his life, you cant believe how shaken he still is. only walked away with a scratch on his hand..........the people ahead all got tickets, not him.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
It ain't all that bad out, in fact the negative temps help traction by preventing the melting that leads to water on top of the ice, that leads to slippery. I worry more about traction between 20 and 32 that's when things get really treacherous.

For a minute i thought turbomangt might have seen/been talking about me, with the forks aired down the bike does look a bit sporty, the weather is super cold here and I have been riding, But I ain't in Chicago so it must have been my long lost twin brother. :p

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Yeah, I remember when I lived in Chicago with the minus temperatures the ice wasn't very slippery unless you spun your wheels (too much gas or too heavy on the brakes) and melted the ice. But that was in a car not on two wheels although maybe the motorcyclist had spiked wheels or studded tires. Although I personally have not seen studded motorcycle tires. Why not.

Studded tires No doubt, more common on an off road motorcycle rather than a street motorcycle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts