Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the add. I recently purchased a 2005 m50 with 36,000 miles on it. Near as I can tell, the previous owners were very good about maintaining it. My issue is this; when the temperature dips into the 50's and below, the bike won't start. It cranks and cranks, and then floods. If it gets up into the 60's, she starts fine. I live in the high desert of Oregon, so it's pretty dry here. I'm wondering if the intake air temp sensor could be the culprit. I don't have any codes that I know of, and I'm ordering the dealer mode switch so I'll know for sure. When she runs, she runs pretty good. No backfires, and idles fine. It's truly and odd thing. If that sensor controls how much fuel to add, I could see it adding more if it thinks it's colder than it is. But I'm not a mechanic, so that may not be the proper way to think about it.

I searched the forum for something similar, but didn't find anything. Thanks in advance for anything that might be doing this.

·
Super Moderator
23,799 Posts
hang in there and hopefully someone can offer some helpful advice.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Welcome to the forum from a fellow Oregonian! Not sure what's causing your problem, but someone should be along soon with more knowledge. Hope it's something simple.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum from a fellow Oregonian! Not sure what's causing your problem, but someone should be along soon with more knowledge. Hope it's something simple.
Oregon is such a nice state to ride in. I’m in the southeastern part, and traffic isn’t an issue. Wildlife and cattle are, though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Along with wind and temp and how far to the next gas?
Yes. Short riding season. I’ll be putting mine in the garage Wednesday. Wind isn’t too bad here. And gas can be an issue, especially if you head East. What part are you from, if you don’t mind me asking?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Could be the oil has thickened up, due to the cold environment, and I know that the cold will suck the life out of your battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had that problem with my 96 Intruder after it sat for 7 years but after rebuilding both carbs, and synchronizing them its alot better. 29 on the thermostat today in Cheyenne Wyoming and it fired up and I went for a ride.

·
Administrator
55,495 Posts
Thanks for the add. I recently purchased a 2005 m50 with 36,000 miles on it. Near as I can tell, the previous owners were very good about maintaining it. My issue is this; when the temperature dips into the 50's and below, the bike won't start. It cranks and cranks, and then floods. If it gets up into the 60's, she starts fine. I live in the high desert of Oregon, so it's pretty dry here. I'm wondering if the intake air temp sensor could be the culprit. I don't have any codes that I know of, and I'm ordering the dealer mode switch so I'll know for sure. When she runs, she runs pretty good. No backfires, and idles fine. It's truly and odd thing. If that sensor controls how much fuel to add, I could see it adding more if it thinks it's colder than it is. But I'm not a mechanic, so that may not be the proper way to think about it.

I searched the forum for something similar, but didn't find anything. Thanks in advance for anything that might be doing this.
Perform a compression check of both cylinders.
A Leak Down Compression Check would be the definitive way to go.

·
Super Moderator
23,799 Posts
if you're putting it up for the riding season, don't forget to add seafoam to the tank and put the battery on a tender.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I have an 06 S50 bought in Aug, mine does the same thing. I know it needs minor carb work or have them synced, has slight sputter low rpm only in first and second gear.

·
Super Moderator
30,145 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw!

Just to offer an idea, possibly the fuel injectors could use cleaning. Also, does the bike have a fuel processor on it? If so, maybe try a different map.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It’s been a bit since my original post. I got the bike to a Suzuki shop ( closest one is 3 hours from me). In the spring I had a new fuel pump and plugs put in. That helped some of my issues. What the shop found was that my throttle body was loose, therefore it was sucking in excess air. Now she starts and runs great. Also, I had bad tires that I didn’t know about. Unrelated, I know, but those got replaced. For those in Oregon, Pro Caliber Motorsports in Bend is where I took it. Not sure how the TB got loose, but it had to be that way when I bought it.

·
Super Moderator
23,799 Posts
glad to read someone/someplace was able to correct the problem and you'd be surprised how many out there right now are riding on not only too old but also too worn tires.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts