Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Was curious what everyone thinks about the crash bars - I was looking at those Lindby ones but I'm sure there are other options. I want to protect my bike as much as possible.

Anyone have any experience with these, or suggestions as to the type that is most effective?

Any other mods would be super helpful too while my bike's in the shop. Nothing speed-related. Brake upgrade, crash protection, exhaust baffle removal or replace with something else altogether... whatever the experts here might think.

Thanks!

Oh, it's a 2007 M50 Limited

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
A nice set of full size highway bars is a great way to protect your baby.... As for style, that's up to you. Some here may caution you to be aware of the low side clearance if you lean heavily in turns. I don't, so it's not an issue for me.

Next, for safety, think Stebel horn! :wayhappy:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I really like the looks of the Lindby bar but on the advice of others decided against it. The issue cited was that even though the Lindby bar had a place for your feet, it's not adjustable. To get the comfort or stretch they desired, they had to add highway pegs to boot. Pretty expensive total package.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, I've googled the horn mentioned and I'm looking around for a good option.

So I have '07 M50 - that's called a Marauder apparently?

And thanks, kcroz!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really like the looks of the Lindby bar but on the advice of others decided against it. The issue cited was that even though the Lindby bar had a place for your feet, it's not adjustable. To get the comfort or stretch they desired, they had to add highway pegs to boot. Pretty expensive total package.
On the other hand, I got a smoking deal on the bike, it's flawless, I am NOT - I feel like paying a little bit as a just in-case couldn't hurt.

I'll have to think about this. Obviously the last thing in the world I want to do is end up needing them or wishing they'd been there.

But I also bought a FF helmet and don't care what anyone thinks about my looks, I'm the one on a bad ass bike.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I've had Linby bars on my bike since 05. I can tell you from experience. You can ride with your feet up heels and soles locked on the bars. You can ride with your legs fully extended and resting your ankles or back of your legs on the bars. Yes, I added the extension pegs but only to add one more position I can ride in with my legs apart for cooling purposes on long rides. That's 3 positions you can ride in not counting the basic floorboards. I don't know of any other bars that offer that many comfortable positions.
As far as protection for the bike goes you'll hit the scrap pins on the floorboards long before you'll hit the bars on sharp leaning curves. And that's on a bike that was lowered 2 an a half inches. If you lose control of the bike at a stop sign and it lays over no harm is done and it's an easy pick up because the bike doesn't go fully over.
High speed crashes I can't tell about you'll have to do your own experimentation there :biglaugh:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've had Linby bars on my bike since 05. I can tell you from experience. You can ride with your feet up heels and soles locked on the bars. You can ride with your legs fully extended and resting your ankles or back of your legs on the bars. Yes, I added the extension pegs but only to add one more position I can ride in with my legs apart for cooling purposes on long rides. That's 3 positions you can ride in not counting the basic floorboards. I don't know of any other bars that offer that many comfortable positions.
As far as protection for the bike goes you'll hit the scrap pins on the floorboards long before you'll hit the bars on sharp leaning curves. And that's on a bike that was lowered 2 an a half inches. If you lose control of the bike at a stop sign and it lays over no harm is done and it's an easy pick up because the bike doesn't go fully over.
High speed crashes I can't tell about you'll have to do your own experimentation there :biglaugh:
Yup.
I have a 30" inseam and love mine.
Locked heals, or ankles resting on top.
I don't even see a need for additional highway pegs.
And I think they look awesome, (form and function).

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Yup.
I have a 30" inseam and love mine.
Locked heals, or ankles resting on top.
I don't even see a need for additional highway pegs.
And I think they look awesome, (form and function).
I thought I covered that! The reason for the pegs are they force you to spread your legs wide allowing for better air circulation and the cooling of the boys on hot days. I never use them on cold days :wayhappy:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Highway bars are a good early mod. They protect the bike and your leg from low speed tip overs the most likely thing to happen to new riders. I have and like my Cobra bars with Kurlyakin long horn offset pegs. I rarely ride with my feet on the bars pegs as I feel I have much better control with my feet on the floor boards. I learned to ride on a dirt bike TS250 with 10,000 miles in the dirt making being ready for the unexpected part of my DNA. When you are coming to a stop in a parking lot don't have the wheel turned instead stop with your wheel straight. Stopping with the front brake and the wheel turned will likely drop the bike to the ground. Don't ask how I know this.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
On the other hand, I got a smoking deal on the bike, it's flawless, I am NOT - I feel like paying a little bit as a just in-case couldn't hurt.

I'll have to think about this. Obviously the last thing in the world I want to do is end up needing them or wishing they'd been there.

But I also bought a FF helmet and don't care what anyone thinks about my looks, I'm the one on a bad ass bike.

FF helmet great plan. Not only does it protect your head but makes riding at higher speeds much more comfortable. :shades: Great advice I got from a friend and experienced rider was to DRESS for the STOP not the ride.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Another vote for the Cobra freeway bars and the Kuryakyn ISO Dually highway pegs with offset mounts.

I just did a bunch of searching around on this very subject so I will pass on what I found.

Forum members who have this setup speak very highly of it. They are quality bars and do what they are designed to do. Make no mistake - no bar will protect you or your bike during a "high speed" crash and this disclaimer is made by every manufacturer. It will however allow you to pick up your bike a lot easier, prevent bike damage and possibly save a leg injury all at "low speed" incidents of course.

Average price for a set of Cobra freeways is about $160
Average price for the Kuryakyn ISO Dually highway pegs with offset mounts setup is about $110 (check---> amazon.com).

Should you decide to go with this setup, REMEMBER:
1. The 1 and 1/2 inch diameter bars are known as "fatty" bars (designed for larger bikes). You would be interested in the 1 and 1/4 inch bars for your M50.

2. Ensure your clamp size (on your peg setup) matches the freeway bar size of 1 and 1/4 inches. They do come in different sizes so double check if ordering online.

I just ordered this setup...waiting on delivery now...or else I would have posted a couple of pics.
Maybe someone who has the setup will chime in soon.
Hope this helps ... and good luck in whatever you decide.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I went with the Lindby Multibar (the more rounded one) as opposed to the Lindby Linbar (the pointy one) and I'm very pleased with the fit, finish and versatility of the unit and I think it looks right on my bike. They're pretty much the same but I just liked the look of the Multibar better. Plenty of options, they all have their quirks and there are lots of on-line reviews for most of them. Pick what you like, install and enjoy.

Cheers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another vote for the Cobra freeway bars and the Kuryakyn ISO Dually highway pegs with offset mounts.
. . .Maybe someone who has the setup will chime in soon.
That's the exact setup my new-to-me C50 came with. I've got some photos I took last fall over in this thread:

I'd agree with CA2011's comments - I really like this setup. The pegs give you any adjustment you could want. I've got mine setup for either locking my boot heel flat on the "pegs", or resting my legs straight out on top of the pegs.

-RenHoek

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
If you bought the bike from the shop with your bike now they can likely be talked into a discount for accessories like highway bars. Even a 10% discount would be nice. I got a 30% discount for accessories when I bought my 2007 bike new in 2007 the color I wanted was still crated and had to be assembled.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts