Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all the motor is not locked up. 5th gear roll will turn over motor no problem. Second is that I bought the bike used with 30k miles and the previous owner had ignition switch problems and instead of fixing it he ran a wire from both sides of the ignition relay and made his own switch basically connecting the starter straight to the battery. It worked fine for a while... now when trying to start the bike the starter will give sort of a half turn then get stuck. I took the starter out and autozone tested it and said they think its fine... my question is can a starter still be bad if it tested good (being that the starter didnt need to torque anything over but just spin freely) or could the starter clutch be broken or stuck and how could I get to that exactly? Any other thoughts on the matter would be helpful. Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
25,179 Posts
Have you tried the starter since Auto Zone tested it? You can get dead spots in starter motors that cause them to fail when they stop in that position but work fine otherwise. I had that problem in a truck once. Every now and then I'd go to start it and it wouldn't work. I'd leave it in gear, stick my for out the door and rock it back and forth a few times and it would start right up.

My other thought is that there's something wrong with the relay or the previous owners wiring job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Battery is brand new. I had the starter completely taken apart and checked by a k and w electric. It was good... turns out that there is way too much compression for the starter to turn over. When I take the plugs out and crank over the motor for a bit then put them back in and try again sometimes I can get it to turn over and fire up if I jump it off my car battery for some extra juice to turn it over... when its running it runs fine. A light clicking sound. Probably the valves tho.... next question would be is the crarb bad or is it possible to drill in a compression release valve

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Just because the battery is brand new, doesn't make me want to rule it out. Have you had it load tested? I would really like to see a Suzuki with too much compression. I still say bad battery.

·
Registered
20,174 Posts
Sounds to me like you're loosing voltage somewhere. Enough to keep the starter from turning as it should. I've seen batteries that test good (even new ones ) that have a big drop in power when called for.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Put a multimeter on the battery terminals. Read voltage, hit starter button and read voltage again with start button pushed. If your voltage drops below 10 volts, you have a bad/weak battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its not the battery. Ive unhooked the connections and hooked them directly up to my car battery with the car on. Ive even tired a direct hook up to the starter from my car battery. Still to much compression to turn over the motor. But unscrew the spark plugs and she cranks like the wind. Ive even put a brand new starter on it last week and I still have the pressure lock problem. The problem is not electrical its mechanical. Its now to the point even when I crank it over with the plugs out then put them back in it instantly repressure lockes.. so what could be closed that should be opened

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
You are saying you have attempted to jump start the bike with a car? Directly to the battery posts? What did that accomplish? Still does not start or turn over? I can't imagine you have too much compression and it just happened one day to the next.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Its not the battery. Ive unhooked the connections and hooked them directly up to my car battery with the car on. Ive even tired a direct hook up to the starter from my car battery. Still to much compression to turn over the motor. But unscrew the spark plugs and she cranks like the wind. Ive even put a brand new starter on it last week and I still have the pressure lock problem. The problem is not electrical its mechanical. Its now to the point even when I crank it over with the plugs out then put them back in it instantly repressure lockes.. so what could be closed that should be opened

Have you done what 03volusiarider said here....?

Put a multimeter on the battery terminals.
Read voltage,
hit starter button and
read voltage again with start button pushed.
If your voltage drops below 10 volts, you have a bad/weak battery.
If we are going to have anything new to say, this is the only thing, at this time, that will give us solid information to go on.

You may not have a weak battery but at least we know something of the cranking load being put on that battery.

It is difficult give advice through the computer without some numbers like this will provide.... even then we are still at a disadvantage because we are not doing the test first hand.

AND... there are several things that will contribute to a problem like you describe.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Sounds like the starter's ARMATURE is shot.
C50 Service Manual, page "8-12 ELECTRICAL SYSTEM" will show you how to check it out.
That is one possibility...... for sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts