Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

Bike Cruises Crooked

2K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  Profane 
#1 ·
I thought I noticed it before but now I'm sure. When cruising in a straight line the bike is leaning slightly to the left. ( No wind jokes,O.K.?) If I center my body in the seat, the way I should be, the bike drifts to the right. To get the bike to go straight I have to sit slightly to the right of center.
It can't be that the rear wheel is crooked, it will only mount one way. Right? Any ideas?

#2 ·
Strange.....how is the wear on the tires? Are they wearing more on one side?

#6 ·
Mine does the exact same thing. The tire I just replaced obviously shows the wear pattern on the left side of the tire. But I have close to 15k miles on the bike and it hasn't caused an issue..so I guess it just adds more character to an already unique bike :)

#7 ·
When I replaced my front tire, I asked why the extra wear on the left side. The service mgr said it's normal because of the crown on the road affecting the left side of the tire. Probably why your bike wants to go right as well. He also said that in those countries that drive on the left side of the road, the extra wear is on the right.

#12 ·
ssi6 said:
Every time I ride when I look at my handlebars, I swear they look tilted to the left, like they're almost bent or something.

Drives me nuts.
Its that big dent you have in the back of your right fork that makes them look 'off-balance'. 8)

#13 ·
copilot said:
When I replaced my front tire, I asked why the extra wear on the left side. The service mgr said it's normal because of the crown on the road affecting the left side of the tire. Probably why your bike wants to go right as well. He also said that in those countries that drive on the left side of the road, the extra wear is on the right.
I read this explanation in a motorcycle magazine recently as well. So, it isn't the bike, but the road. In addition, the wear has to do with how we make left turns vs. right turns.

#14 ·
I think you guys might have nailed it with the road crown theory. Here in Arizona we get sudden down pours of rain that can flood a street in seconds. Because of that they build the roads with a strong slope to allow rapid water run off. That would explain it drifting to the right or DOWNslope. Funny I have never noticed it with other motorcycles I have driven on these roads.
Sitting off center slightly is not really annoying if I put it out of my mind. I can live with it.
As for crooked handlebars...that too. My risers twist in the rubber mounts so much I sometimes give the handlebars a jerk one way or the other to get them straight. I put Barons kickback risers on my right after I bought it and didn't drive it enough with stock risers to be able to tell if the twisting is normal or because of the aftermarket risers.

#15 ·
you may wanna look into why your risers are twisting/moving. is the hardware under the triple tree tightened down? stripped?

I have a/m risers and they're ROCK SOLID

#18 ·
Maybe it's time to remove the pair valve. That might reduce the weight :lol: You didn't remove the football from the right side did you??

#21 ·
When I questioned my dealers mechanics I was told that the rotation of the shaft causes the pull. So, if you are looking up the bike from the back, the shaft rotates counter clockwise and would pull the bike to the left.
Sooo, whichever way your shaft is pulled, you tend to lean in that direction?? :p Brilliant!

#23 ·
ocueballo said:
When I questioned my dealers mechanics I was told that the rotation of the shaft causes the pull. So, if you are looking up the bike from the back, the shaft rotates counter clockwise and would pull the bike to the left.
Sooo, whichever way your shaft is pulled, you tend to lean in that direction?? :p Brilliant!
Shaft pulling? Who? Where?

#26 ·
Risers shouldn't be twisting....Got something going wrong there....

I would attribute the other to the road as well.

I only notice the pull when I remove both hands. I have to lean over to keep it balanced. But that's the only time I notice it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.