Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know many members here like to upgrade to a bigger bike and sell there C50 well I went the other way.

I sold my Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide about a month ago and have gone back to a C50T so stepped down from a 1450cc to a 800cc bike and have no regrets.

I am 54 years old and have owned some big bikes but I no longer see the need for it, yes a lot more hp and torque out on the hi-way with a bigger bike but then add in the weight factor as you are getting older plus have a few health problems like I have with my knees and ankles and the C50T fits me better.

Here is Australia our top speed limit is 65mph the C50T will easily cruise on that speed all day in comfort and it is more comfortable than what my Harley was, so for me bigger is not always better, I did think hard about a Suzuki M109 but again common sense said big bike don't need it, so yer happy with my C50T cheers. :wayhappy:

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Congrats.

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Definition of large or small bike has greatly changed over the last 40 years.

Only 1200cc bikes I saw were law enforcement until the early 70s.

Then came KZ1000, CBX, GW. Honda 750 was the king from 68 until around 75.
I really prefer a smaller displacement engine as long as it is long lived and smooth. Hondas 350-4 was the smallest cc 4-banger I can remember. An inline engine should outlast any v-config due to balance issues. More main bearings the better. I've never heard of someone wanting a bike or other engine to shake and vibrate.

Sure a large bike feels better, but I can be happy with 400cc if it does the job. You ought to see me on my 250 cc scooter riding the interstate. Not fun unless it's 5am Sunday morning. No traffic at that time.

What was our topic?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
It's funny - on the HD forums I just joined their are all kinds of threads where guys are asking things like "I'm 5'10" 190 lbs - is the 88 a big enough engine?" Or " Should I upgrade my 96 to a 110?". Ride what you like and are comfortable with.

Congrats on the new ride - keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Congrats... your decision shows you are a man who looks at it from all sides and uses logic in your personal decisions.
Thanks for that, it doesn't seem that long ago that Honda 750 4s and Kawasaki 900s were the biggest bikes around.

I started my road riding on a Honda CB350 twin and there is nothing wrong upgrading to a bigger bike but these days for me I feel no need to go any bigger than my C50T, great town bike, great on the hi-way for the speeds I cruise at and great to some light touring on and the best part I didn't have to spend mega dollars to buy a bike that suits my needs cheers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Even the largest cruiser is slow when compared to a modern day sportbike.
A 600CC R6 is 0-60 in 3 seconds flat.
VTX 1800 is 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.

Depends completely on what you want.
I want my cruiser for cruising comfort on the highway.

I want my sportbike for trackday racing, wheelies, and back road curves like Deal's Gap.

Different bikes have different purposes.
Whatever bike works best for you is the proper bike.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Almost every rider in a local group I ride with has moved to a bigger bike. Most times when I show up for an organized ride, someone will ask why I haven't done it yet? My answer is... I love this bike. It's the perfect size for me. Does everything I want it to do. Nimble, more power than I will ever need, and with the DJ mod 2 years ago, it will go as long as I want it to. In fact, I'm the only rider that has covered several states with my bike. The bigger bike guys don't leave a 4-5 hr range. I can load my bike in my truck bed with ease and tow a 25ft camper behind the truck. Most of my fellow riders here are envious when we go to epic destinations.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
You've hit on one of my observations. Most guys who move up to larger cruiser really don't need them and seldom even use what they have bought. If in fact they even have the ability to ride the machines to their potential. In most cases it's really done because of a mucho thing not a need thing!
I can't tell you how many times I've ridden with guys who have moved up but yet can't or won't keep up due to their inhibitions or sensibly their riding abilities.
The C-50 is more then enough bike for all but the longest rides. Especially if you add the DJ drive which allows you to cruise at interstate speeds (75-80mph) all day long with little vibration and very comfortably. Very few roads in the US have posted speed limits higher then that anyway. Sure the bigger bike will out accelerate the C-50 but within 50 yards your right next to them doing the speed limit. And that's riding 2 up with a load of over 400lbs
The frame is at least as big as HD or any of the "large cruisers" giving you the ability to stretch out on long rides.
Oh, and those 50 yards, you can make those up while the bigger bikes are still filling up at the pump

·
Registered
843 Posts
Nine out of ten bikes in my area are big Harleys. Most of them have less than 3000 miles on them even though they could be tens years old. I'm always asked when I'm going to upgrade. I tell them my 2004 VOL LTD could beat them backwards in a gravel parking lot. I should get smart, buy a DJ drive and sell the C109R. I like to travel but as we all know when you get over 70 it just sounds like you are pushing too hard.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Nine out of ten bikes in my area are big Harleys. Most of them have less than 3000 miles on them even though they could be tens years old. I'm always asked when I'm going to upgrade. I tell them my 2004 VOL LTD could beat them backwards in a gravel parking lot. I should get smart, buy a DJ drive and sell the C109R. I like to travel but as we all know when you get over 70 it just sounds like you are pushing too hard.
Ok you got me I got 2 more years to go before I get to 70, but I'm still planning on travelling beyond that.
I wouldn't say anything about you getting smart, but I think you getting the DJ on the lighter more agile 04 would add a few more years to your biking and a few less to your rocking.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
My wife agrees!

My wife agrees! She is always telling me "Bigger is not always better, Dear!"

I am so happy she is glad we have an 1100 instead of something bigger.

She was talking about the bike! Right?:wayhappy::biglaugh::biglaugh::blackeye:

Both my bike and I can handle 70 MPH, but I don't enjoy it! 55-60 is fast enoough and I can enjoy the view without being focused on the cars ahead of me and what is coming up from behind! I take the roads less travelled rather than the fast slab.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Ok you got me I got 2 more years to go before I get to 70, but I'm still planning on travelling beyond that.
I wouldn't say anything about you getting smart, but I think you getting the DJ on the lighter more agile 04 would add a few more years to your biking and a few less to your rocking.
I think he meant going over 70mph and pushing too hard.

·
Registered
19,507 Posts
I know many members here like to upgrade to a bigger bike and sell there C50 well I went the other way.

I sold my Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide about a month ago and have gone back to a C50T so stepped down from a 1450cc to a 800cc bike and have no regrets.

I am 54 years old and have owned some big bikes but I no longer see the need for it, yes a lot more hp and torque out on the hi-way with a bigger bike but then add in the weight factor and as you are getting older plus have a few health problems like I have with my knees and ankles and the C50T fits me better.

Here is Australia our top speed limit is 65mph the C50T will easily cruise on that speed all day in comfort and it is more comfortable than what my Harley was, so for me bigger is not always better, I did think hard about a Suzuki M109 but again common sense said big bike don't need it, so yer happy with my C50T cheers. :wayhappy:
I've honestly NEVER owned a bike with a displacement above One Litre. I don't see the need. My C50 did everything I asked of it for 4 years. When it died, I got my Vulcan 900. Everything I loved about my C50 with better brakes...

Sure, I can't keep up with the 'big bikes' when we get together and they get heavy on the throttle. But I've got more than adequate power to reel them back in and then some... I'm one perfectly happy WITHOUT a bigger bike...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I agree with I think it was TRAV who said you buy different bikes for different ways of riding. Im sure if they made a cruiser seating position that had the speed and handling of a sport bike we would all have one. That's why I have two bikes. I have a FZ6R that delivers all the power and handling I need so when I jump on my cruiser I am not looking to break any speed records. I have yet to see any cruiser that could keep up with my sport bike and its the slowest one Yamaha makes. Vrod was close, but its also 5x the price. I understand wanting a little lower rpms cruising the highway, especially here where 70 is going slow on the freeway, but other than that all you get with higher displacement, IMO, is higher weight and lower gas mileage.

Can someone please tell me what the DJ thing is and how it lowers your rmps on the freeway? I made an offer on a C50 today so I am hoping to hear back soon!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
A cruiser like the C50 is perfect for the USA scenic highways. And for getting from one place to another on the limited access highways excellent within major cities and OK for longer boring trips as long as you travel faster than the semis.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
[.

Can someone please tell me what the DJ thing is and how it lowers your rmps on the freeway? I made an offer on a C50 today so I am hoping to hear back soon![/QUOTE]

About 8 years ago we found out that you can do a little machining on a C-90 drive and make it fit a C-50. What it does is changes the gearing 14%. You'll find with a stock C the gearing is too low. 1st gear only goes to about 20 mph and you have to shift. On the top end your always looking for another gear. With the DJ you shift out of 1st at 30mph and 5th at about 65 - 70 mph. reducing your rpms at interstate speeds and eliminating the vibration of a high reeving engine. It makes the C-50 a perfect cruiser
I suggest you go to the search box on this site and type in DJ drive but make sure you have a lot of time to read.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts