Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most bike owners eventually do, I am going through the painstaking process of choosing an aftermarket exhaust system to "rumble" things up a bit. My biggest fear is that I will not be satisfied with the sound. I really like the look of the stock exhaust, but I don't like the sound when they are debaffled. Definitely louder, but the tone just isn't there. Anyway, I just about decided on V&H Straightshots, when I came across this website...http://www.bigcitythunder.com/. So now I am curious, is there anyone out there that has debaffled their stock pipes and in turn installed a big city thunder baffle? They apparently improve performance and lower the pitch. Thanks ya'll!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Have you tried killing Mickey? The sound on the stockers really deepens after you do that, and you could go ahead and just gut the pipes completely. Bike sounds pretty loud after that and you keep the stockers. Just tryin to help
Jose

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I haven't done a thing to my pipes yet. I heard my buddies and they were just debaffled. Maybe I can get him to kill mickey. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
At the wrench party here in Fla more than a year ago, somebody had taken out the 1st baffle, mickey, and the last baffle. Thats what I mean by gutting it. I was impressed with the sound, maybe your buddy might be willing, besides if he dosen't like it, just trade him you untouched stockers.

jose

·
Registered
602 Posts
When I read the post and you said they were not a deep tone, I knew instantly that they weren't gutted.

There are 3 stages of debaffled pipes...with the gutted ones being the deepest and best sounding to me.

I like the looks and sound of the stockers, but love the performance of my Straightshots because of the larger head pipes.

I have actually kicked around the idea of using the V&H head pipes with stock mufflers...making an adapter to mate them together. I just think it will give me the power and sound I want...maybe someday?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do love huge pipes. But it seems like going with the straight shots is the way to go for me. I feel a little better about saving the stockers from the drill. I'll definitely keep them around though. Big bucks someday.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
groovatron said:
I do love huge pipes. But it seems like going with the straight shots is the way to go for me. I feel a little better about saving the stockers from the drill. I'll definitely keep them around though. Big bucks someday.
Your right, keeping your stock pipes stock is a great idea if you go to after market pipes. I wish I had done that, but I do love my Cobra Street Rods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts