Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined last night,I find this forum very interesting and helpful.I ride a 04 Volusia and have been thinking about doing the final drive conversion. I thought I seen a post that showed this being done,the person used a scrap piece of 3/16 wood as a guide to scribe the splines on the vl800 drive shaft. Does anyone remember seeing this or was it another forum?

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Have not seen the thread you speak of. But the guy that does the majority of C50/VL800 driveshaft modifications lives very close to you.

Send an email to Aric Balster email [email protected]

He used to live in Sturgis but moved to Whitewood awhile back. He is a machinest Supervisor for a shop outside Sturgis, he's got all the poop on the spline mod, spacer fabrication and bushing if you need it. Great guy to work with. Tell him Russ sent you over.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Actually Vinnysd, you are not removing any of the splines, you are shaving the shoulder back 3/16ths. Aric shaves it back and then builds in back up with weld so that the shoulder stays the same diameter as original.

Some guys do take 2mm off the end of the shaft to account for the added distance that the splines now protrude into the U-joint, but I don't think that part is as necessary as we once thought.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
reply to 472viper

I know Rick Hamling,he is going to set it up for me,just need to purchase the used c90 final drive I found at a salvage yard and I'll use my OE800 drive shaft.I just stopped by Ricks shop over the noon hour today,he wasn't there,just his son,he has a Hoppee batwing he is going to sell me,I can't wait to see the diff. Right now my bike just has a windshield,does anyone have an opinion on there preference as far as wind deflection,mpg and just over all feel compared to the windshield. I'd like to cut down on the wind a little for the long rides,hope the batwing helps. Oh and by the way,Rick used to be in the paint dept at Lehman Trikes and really knows painting,and has opened his own body shop in Sturgis,I've seen cars and bikes both that he has done,and does very well,just saying. Also any thought to price and what mileage I should stay under when buying a used final drve

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
I've been in your fine town! Welcome to the Forum, from Ontario, Canada!

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
I know Rick Hamling,he is going to set it up for me,just need to purchase the used c90 final drive I found at a salvage yard and I'll use my OE800 drive shaft.I just stopped by Ricks shop over the noon hour today,he wasn't there,just his son,he has a Hoppee batwing he is going to sell me,I can't wait to see the diff. Right now my bike just has a windshield,does anyone have an opinion on there preference as far as wind deflection,mpg and just over all feel compared to the windshield. I'd like to cut down on the wind a little for the long rides,hope the batwing helps. Oh and by the way,Rick used to be in the paint dept at Lehman Trikes and really knows painting,and has opened his own body shop in Sturgis,I've seen cars and bikes both that he has done,and does very well,just saying. Also any thought to price and what mileage I should stay under when buying a used final drve
Ya know about the only source I know of is e-bay and seems like they go for about $250. As far as miles it seems like these things don't normally have a whole lot of miles on 'em.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Welcome from Oakville Ontario.
I have done the DJ drive, it has changed the bike immensely.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Welcome from NW Florida. Do the drive mod. You won't regret it. I only have a few hundred on mine and am looking forward to 1000's more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts