Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a better 2 up bike than the VL800. The issues are four:

1. Braking isn't so hot on the VL800. Twin front disks probably required. We have mountains.
2. VL800 has a lot of rake, so something a bit snappier handling would be nice.
3. Passenger is big and tall, more leg room better.
4. Can't cost a fortune.

A bit more boost wouldn't hurt, either.

I did a bunch of research and picked out the Road Star. Found one to ride. What a tank. Anemic for something that's 2x the cc of the VL800! But overall, marginally acceptable and the simplicity is appealing (air cooled, hydraulic valves). I'm wondering what to look at next. I keep coming up with ideas that are expensive!

What's the Vulcan 1500 like? How about the Yamaha VStar 1100 line?

·
Registered
21,205 Posts
The vstar 1100 produces no more power than the c50. Take that off your list. The Vs tar 1300 is a completely different animal and would meet your needs spectacularly. The Vulcan 1500,1600,1700 are all great bikes. But they are heavy, ponderous and despite the larger engines accelerate rather poorly. Ah, hell. Just get a Harley. Nobody does a touring v-twin better than them.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not getting a Harley. Too much $$$ for what you get! I didn't limit the world to V twin cruisers. I'm a utility rider, but I don't like being squnched up. 32.7 rake v. VL800 33 isn't much difference. FJR is 26, which is more the direction I suppose I should look.

Or I could just get 1992 VFR750 and let her ride the VL800!!

·
Registered
21,205 Posts
Well, that opens all sorts of opportunities. FRJ, Concourse, Beemer GTL. The sport tour tribe has power and comfort to spare. If you stick with a twin, you're going to end up on a Harley sooner or later, because nobody does it better. But if you go sport tour, the world is your oyster.

·
Administrator
29,813 Posts
Looking for a better 2 up bike than the VL800. The issues are four:

1. Braking isn't so hot on the VL800. Twin front disks probably required. We have mountains.
2. VL800 has a lot of rake, so something a bit snappier handling would be nice.
3. Passenger is big and tall, more leg room better.
4. Can't cost a fortune.

A bit more boost wouldn't hurt, either.

I did a bunch of research and picked out the Road Star. Found one to ride. What a tank. Anemic for something that's 2x the cc of the VL800! But overall, marginally acceptable and the simplicity is appealing (air cooled, hydraulic valves). I'm wondering what to look at next. I keep coming up with ideas that are expensive!

What's the Vulcan 1500 like? How about the Yamaha VStar 1100 line?
A used, modern Gold Wing.

The FJR is a bad choice for a tall rider, much less a tall passenger.
The BMW, forget it, you have a budget. Perhaps a used RT, but not the GTL, starts at 30,000 bucks. Bring My Wallet.
The Harley, not that great and you have a budget
I like the 1300 Star... but wouldn't you rather have a used Gold Wing?

There you have it. The boring, but super reliable, affordable and perfect two up bike.

Reactions: Polovision

·
Registered
800 Posts
Have you looked at a suzuki C-90

Reactions: 03volusiarider

·
Registered
238 Posts
don't forget the Valkyrie it is a dream bike lil more power then the Goldwing but still get that cruiser feel and look good brakes power and ride took mine to the mnts a few weeks ago and had to hold back to keep from pushing other bikes out the way if you get the chance give one a ride can normaly find a good used one for around 6k with less then 40k miles on them that's nothing for this bike seen them with 400k on them hope this helps

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have a Nomad 1500 I will be listing shortly if you're interested :shades:. Ticks off all 4 of your boxes.

I loved the bike but didn't have the right ergonomics for me after I got hit by a minivan while riding my C50. Ended up buying a Goldwing that seems to fit better now.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah, problem becomes $$$$. Cruisers are so cheap!! I may try to ride that 1300. Seems a reasonable compromise. I had in mind one 2 up bike and one solo bike, with the 2 up bike good enough for me to enjoy. That Road Star was such a shock after the VL800. I may still try to borrow one for a longer ride, a different one. Get it up to speed on the Interstate, see whether the one I tried was tired.

Oh, I should mention that our usual day trip together involves hitting one or more of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, etc. So I have to be able to turn easily or I'll wear out. Starting out 2 up on the Dragon (it's only 50 miles from my door to the NC line on 129) wakes me up pretty well on the Vol.

·
Super Moderator
33,550 Posts
What's your budget? The V Star 1300 is definitely an awesome budget cruiser with great specs. Another one to look at might be the Triumph Rocket III Touring. It's a big bike with lots of power and is very nimble for its size. They start at about $15k new.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Don't discount a Royal Star Venture, Yamaha's best kept secret.
You can get one at a very reasonable price but they are heavy coming from a VL800.
You owe it to yourself to test ride one the price to performance ratio will be hard to beat for a dedicated touring machine.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
I think your aiming too high. A luxobarge that is a comfortable two up machine for a tall passenger that handles twisties like an FJR.

No matter what you find it will be a compromise.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
There are a lot of great 2-up bikes. I love my C90. However, with your focus on the rake angle it sounds like you're moving into the sport tourer style of bike.

·
Registered
21,205 Posts
The C90 is a great bike. But despite its nearly double the engine displacement as the C50, it really does not produce that much more power. Yes, it feels faster and there is more power on tap when you wring the throttle on the expressway. But it is handicapped by a 5 speed transmission which puts it in pretty much the same RPM range as the C50 with a C90 drive. At 60, you're running around 3000 rpm and the revs climb from there. At full interstate speeds, it gets kind of buzzy. The new C90 has a blessedly larger gas tank, but it suffers from low to mid 30 mpg fuel economy. You'll be stopping every 160 miles for fuel, or there abouts. Lastly, when it is loaded with gear, a rider and a passenger, the additional weight is noticeable. It does pull better than the C50, but it does not exactly overwhelm you with its available power.

The cream of the crop in the cruiser world is the Vstar 1300. Just the right amount of grunt to make it a competent interstate rider, but a low enough price point to make it affordable to riders on a budget. It too only has a 5 speed transmission, but the front and rear pulley can be replaced, which would lower the engine RPM at a given speed. You can't do that with the C90. It also produces more power, more torque and delivers better fuel economy (low to mid 40 mpg). It will do most of what you want, but you're still not going to be sold on the handling.... Few cruisers will meet your performance/agility requirements...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.